Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Prague-based journalist Jan Vacek - who writes for Denik Sport - has followed Dubravka’s Sparta career over the past six months, and he gives NUFC Writer Chris Waugh the lowdown on the Magpies’ new goalkeeper...

Question: What are Dubravka’s main strengths? What type of goalkeeper is he?

Dubravka is a complete goalkeeper. He has great reflexes, he has good feet and he is very quick off his line. Dubravka is a modern-day goalkeeper, in the sense that he is very good one the ball, he likes to play it out from the back, and he can really help out his defenders by doing that. He did have shaky start to the season, when he performed poorly in his first game as Sparta were knocked out of Europa League qualifying by Red Star Belgrade. After that match, he initially lost the No 1 spot to Tomas Koubek. However, it didn’t take Dubravka long to adapt to life at Sparta, and he quickly learned how to play with his new tea-mates and won back his place in the starting line-up. A regular run in the team gave him confidence, and he was definitely one of Sparta’s best players during the first half of the season. He will be a miss for them.

Q: Why were Sparta willing to sell him?

From my point of view, the only reason Sparta have agreed to sell Dubravka is because they received a very interesting offer from Newcastle. Sparta were very happy with Dubravka’s performances during the first half of the season and would have been keen to keep him. But, once Newcastle returned with a financially-acceptable offer, and Dubravka made it clear he was tempted to leave, Sparta agreed to let him go if a replacement could be signed.

Q: Does Dubravka have any weaknesses?

I don’t think he has any glaring weaknesses, no. Maybe you could argue that sometimes he is a little bit indecisive. He sometimes hesitates when a cross comes in and stays rooted to his line. He definitely can improve his reading of the game in general too, and his decision-making, but he has got better in that respect over the last few months.

Q: What type of character is he off the field?

Dubravka is a very nice guy, who is very hard working. He is very calm, quiet and unassuming - sometimes his team-mates forget he is in the dressing room he can be so quiet! But he is a true professional and he is always very kind in terms of giving up his time to fans and the Press.

Q: Do you expect Dubravka to succeed in England? And, if so, why?

Yes, I think he can perform very well and succeed in England. He is a highly-skilled ‘keeper, but someone who still has plenty of room for improvement. His first few days in Newcastle will be very important. He has to start well, keep himself calm - and then I think he will be OK. But my one concern is when I look back at that exit from the Europa League against Red Star Belgrade. There were 30,000 supporters at that game, fires in the stands, and an absolutely insane atmosphere. There was huge pressure on Sparta as the away team, and it seemed to get to Dubravka. He did not play well; he looked nervous and made a few mistakes. It will therefore be interesting how he handles the pressure from Newcastle fans at a big stadium. If he starts well and they give him their support, however, I believe he will deliver some great performances.

Prague-based journalist Jan Vacek - who writes for Denik Sport - has followed Dubravka’s Sparta career over the past six months, and he gives NUFC Writer Chris Waugh the lowdown on the Magpies’ new goalkeeper...

Dubravka is a complete goalkeeper. He has great reflexes, he has good feet and he is very quick off his line. Dubravka is a modern-day goalkeeper, in the sense that he is very good one the ball, he likes to play it out from the back, and he can really help out his defenders by doing that. He did have shaky start to the season, when he performed poorly in his first game as Sparta were knocked out of Europa League qualifying by Red Star Belgrade. After that match, he initially lost the No 1 spot to Tomas Koubek. However, it didn’t take Dubravka long to adapt to life at Sparta, and he quickly learned how to play with his new tea-mates and won back his place in the starting line-up. A regular run in the team gave him confidence, and he was definitely one of Sparta’s best players during the first half of the season. He will be a miss for them.

From my point of view, the only reason Sparta have agreed to sell Dubravka is because they received a very interesting offer from Newcastle. Sparta were very happy with Dubravka’s performances during the first half of the season and would have been keen to keep him. But, once Newcastle returned with a financially-acceptable offer, and Dubravka made it clear he was tempted to leave, Sparta agreed to let him go if a replacement could be signed.

I don’t think he has any glaring weaknesses, no. Maybe you could argue that sometimes he is a little bit indecisive. He sometimes hesitates when a cross comes in and stays rooted to his line. He definitely can improve his reading of the game in general too, and his decision-making, but he has got better in that respect over the last few months.

Dubravka is a very nice guy, who is very hard working. He is very calm, quiet and unassuming - sometimes his team-mates forget he is in the dressing room he can be so quiet! But he is a true professional and he is always very kind in terms of giving up his time to fans and the Press.

Yes, I think he can perform very well and succeed in England. He is a highly-skilled ‘keeper, but someone who still has plenty of room for improvement. His first few days in Newcastle will be very important. He has to start well, keep himself calm - and then I think he will be OK. But my one concern is when I look back at that exit from the Europa League against Red Star Belgrade. There were 30,000 supporters at that game, fires in the stands, and an absolutely insane atmosphere. There was huge pressure on Sparta as the away team, and it seemed to get to Dubravka. He did not play well; he looked nervous and made a few mistakes. It will therefore be interesting how he handles the pressure from Newcastle fans at a big stadium. If he starts well and they give him their support, however, I believe he will deliver some great performances.

He’s gonna be shit isn’t he?  :lol: :lol:

Seems he will fit right in. At least he's agile.

So most things then  :lol:

I don’t think he has any glaring weaknesses, no. Maybe you could argue that sometimes he is a little bit indecisive. He sometimes hesitates when a cross comes in and stays rooted to his line. He definitely can improve his reading of the game in general too, and his decision-making, but if you can’t handle him at his worst, you don’t deserve him at his best.

"He's nervy and not good in front of big crowds, say people who know him" - the Newcastle commentator on the radio

class

He had a blinder at Hampden in front of 47,000 or so. Maybe the extra 5,000 will prove to be too much.