Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

1 hour ago, neesy111 said:

Personally overall I think Dubs is the best GK we've had in the PL era.  Given easily best shot stopper by a distance though.

I think Given for the time was perfect, though. The way a keeper plays has evolved the last decade, I think he’d have been able to adapt to it if he was the same age now, as he was when we signed him for instance. Given for about 8 years was one of the best 3-4 keepers in the division.

Given was vastly overrated for me.

- His kicking was atrocious. When he first arrived he couldn't reach the half-way line off a goal kick. They were like the kicks you see in women's football where they drop them on the edge of the centre circle in their own half. He did get better but it remained a major weakness for him.

- He was a total flapper on the back pass. Zero confidence with the ball at his feet. He'd usually just shit his pants and slice the ball into touch.

- Didn't take crosses. No command of his area.

- Generally just had no presence at the back. Short arse (for a gk), quiet, slow off his line, never clattered centre forwards.

Great shot-stopper? It was his best attribute but even then I thought people went over board. His cult status grew to a point where everything he did was heralded as world class. Roy Keane's comments on De Gea summed up how I used to feel about Shay. "It's his job [to stop shots that are straight at him]".

Even if Seamus was the best shot-stopper in the league, he was weak in pretty much every other area and therefore never anything more than average.

Back to Dubravka. He's fantastic but he has a nasty little habit of bringing the right hand over the top to make saves that should be made with the left hand. Keepers usually do it to make their saves look better on the telly but it's not good technique. He got caught out trying to do it for Leicester's first goal.

I remember everyone on Twitter saying how we didn’t need a keeper when we brought Dubs in.

He was one of the reasons our form picked up so much that season. 

Guest neesy111
Just now, Danh1 said:

I remember everyone on Twitter saying how we didn’t need a keeper when we brought Dubs in.

Some people thought blob Eliott was a good GK.

Just now, Danh1 said:

Aye it was mental. You could see why Benitez was desperate for one that pre-season (Reina, Caballero, etc). Dubravka was the most important signing we’ve made in a long time.

53 minutes ago, Candi_Hills said:

Given was vastly overrated for me.

- His kicking was atrocious. When he first arrived he couldn't reach the half-way line off a goal kick. They were like the kicks you see in women's football where they drop them on the edge of the centre circle in their own half. He did get better but it remained a major weakness for him.

- He was a total flapper on the back pass. Zero confidence with the ball at his feet. He'd usually just shit his pants and slice the ball into touch.

- Didn't take crosses. No command of his area.

- Generally just had no presence at the back. Short arse (for a gk), quiet, slow off his line, never clattered centre forwards.

Great shot-stopper? It was his best attribute but even then I thought people went over board. His cult status grew to a point where everything he did was heralded as world class. Roy Keane's comments on De Gea summed up how I used to feel about Shay. "It's his job [to stop shots that are straight at him]".

Even if Seamus was the best shot-stopper in the league, he was weak in pretty much every other area and therefore never anything more than average.

Take your point on his kicking, but Given’s agility and reflexes set him apart from even very good keepers at the time.

givens kicking was a bit hit and miss but his agility and reflexes were exceptional as said above.

he was also a very good keeper at a very young age.

anyone know what dubz was like in his early 20's?

Guest HTT II
4 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

I think Given for the time was perfect, though. The way a keeper plays has evolved the last decade, I think he’d have been able to adapt to it if he was the same age now, as he was when we signed him for instance. Given for about 8 years was one of the best 3-4 keepers in the division.

And one of the best in the world...

Alot of people have rightly claimed that ASM and Wilson being back has been the main difference in our form, but it's no coincidence that since Dubs has came back into the team we've only lost 2 games in 10. It's mental it took so long for Bruce to start him over Darlow, even if Darlow was doing decent.

• 1 month later...

In case people decide to slate or write-off the last few years based on what happened after the penalty save this afternoon, which I think has easily been forgotten...

'PSxG+/-' stands for "Post-Shot Expected Goals-Goals Allowed" and it tells us how much a goalkeeper has over, or underperformed. By comparing the expected number of goals a goalkeeper should conceded given the quality of the chances, from the number of goals actually conceded, based on the goals per shot on target (a higher number means harder shots for the keeper to save)... Dubravka has consistently ranked near the top of the league. Apart from this season per 90, where it is about mid-way down the list rather than about 6th. It's based on a team's number 1 apart from 17/18 where I had to find non-qualifiers in order to see how he had been. 

17/18 - +0.24 https://imgur.com/a/vtuv5ua (would be 6th but non-qualifiers mean I can't compare to the other ones)(Darlow +0.28)

18/19 - +0.10 https://imgur.com/a/cAQdfzp (6th)

19/20 - +0.26 https://imgur.com/a/UULdNOk (2nd)

20/21 - +0.11 https://imgur.com/a/MCLruDj (Darlow -0.16) (11th)

Edited by nbthree3

Seen some Twitter accounts who are Newcastle fans laughing at Dub. Just weird man. He’s our player and he’s one of our best. Every goalie makes mistakes. Today he had some bad ones. Still one of the top keepers in the PL IMO. 

I'm in the minority, but I think he's the most overrated player we've got.  Just an average keeper, good at some things and poor in others.  Can't recollect him ever being linked with a top club in all the time we've had him, which says something?

1 minute ago, TorchyTBB said:

I'm in the minority, but I think he's the most overrated player we've got.  Just an average keeper, good at some things and poor in others.  Can't recollect him ever being linked with a top club in all the time we've had him, which says something?

I can't recollect Ben Arfa being linked with any top clubs when he was here either.

Or Wilson.

You are in the minority because you're wrong, it's fairly simple.

32 minutes ago, TorchyTBB said:

Perhaps you should try and cast your mind back to when Dubs came in and what it was like to actually have a competent keeper again after watching Elliot & Darlow between the sticks.  It was an absolute revelation and he raised the bar the moment he walked into the club, that you know take that level of quality for granted is laughable.

Edited by mrmojorisin75

35 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Perhaps you should try and cast your mind back to when Dubs came in and what it was like to actually have a competent keeper again after watching Elliot & Darlow between the sticks.  It was an absolute revelation and he raised the bar the moment he walked into the club, that you know take that level of quality for granted is laughable.

TBF Darlow and Elliot were/are competent,Elliot gets extra stick because he defended the regime, but Dubravka is better.