Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

Fantastic keeper, can make the odd mistake. Hes the most worked keeper in the league the last 3 years as well so no surprise there.

The defence is the main problem and also the midfield makes it harder for our already shocking defence.

I'll always love Dubs for his first two years here, but he looks a shadow of his former self at the moment. I don't think he's ever recovered his confidence from that shambles in the Euros. He'll make some incredible saves, but that's pointless if he's dropping clangers like the two mistakes he made in the first 5 minutes today. 

It's sad to say, but I think we need an upgrade ASAP. 

Least of our worries for me like.

Confidence is low and unsurprisingly so. He has very poor protection in front of him.

Get a better set of outfield playsrs that protect him more and we will see him return to his former self. 

1 hour ago, Aiston said:

Fantastic keeper, can make the odd mistake. Hes the most worked keeper in the league the last 3 years as well so no surprise there.

The defence is the main problem and also the midfield makes it harder for our already shocking defence.

As Peter Schmeichel once said, ‘goalkeepers are defined by their mistakes’.  Dubravka makes loads - at least one or two per game.

He’s comfortably better than anyone else we have - but he’s far from being a good goalie.  And his poor distribution and positioning makes bad defenders look even worse. 

51 minutes ago, Joey Linton said:

Wasn't at fault for that first goal. Clark went to deal with it and then dummied it. Absolutely idiotic defending. You clear the ball. 

I think Dubs should have made it his, and was about to until he saw Clark was in position and ready to head it. Why the fuck he changed is mind is dumbfounding.

1 hour ago, Joey Linton said:

Wasn't at fault for that first goal. Clark went to deal with it and then dummied it. Absolutely idiotic defending. You clear the ball. 

he was, as he gave away the corner!   Clark also at fault but that goal is under 12s football man, they both should be embarassed! 

18 minutes ago, Happinesstan said:

I think Dubs should have made it his, and was about to until he saw Clark was in position and ready to head it. Why the fuck he changed is mind is dumbfounding.

This is it for me too - Dubravka has to shout, claim - and if necessary, clatter through the back of a glaiky Clark to get rid.  You don’t stand watching the ball bounce inside the six yard box.  Incredibly shit all round. 

5 minutes ago, Awaymag said:

he was, as he gave away the corner!   Clark also at fault but that goal is under 12s football man, they both should be embarassed! 

You give away the corner, you deal with the corner.

Clark had the chance to make the giving away of the corner irrelevant, he chose not to and it was that which cost us the goal. 

And just like Jaaskelainen, no-one has come beating the door down with loads of cash to be offered for him.

Does anyone seriously think Ashley would have turned down a decent offer for a goalkeeper?

Dubravka’s consistently poor decision-making doesn’t just cost goals like the first one.  It breeds fear in the back line that he’ll make another one any second - and when you have defenders as poor as ours, that is catastrophic.

Some of the players that sizeable portions of the support have rated over the years has been head-scratching.  The current side has more than usual - Dubravka, ASM, Almiron etc.  Ineffective, unintelligent, mediocre footballers.  Just proof of how far we’ve fallen.

The quicker the memories of this side are wiped away the better.  

5 hours ago, Wallsendmag said:

People's opinions of him please? 

I've long been an advocate of cashing in on him as I think he spends too much time out injured, especially for a GK, but having watched him return from his latest injury I'm thinking more and more that it's a position we maybe need to look at strengthening next month.

He’s always been average-good at best. He drops a lot of clangers but often makes up for that by keeping us in games and winning points singlehandedly.

There are seven or eight other positions that need strengthening more urgently.

It’s a team game so it was a mistake from both of them, but as cliched as it is, the first rule of defending is if you’re the first man, get rid/clear it! 

25 minutes ago, HTT II said:

It’s a team game so it was a mistake from both of them, but as cliched as it is, the first rule of defending is if you’re the first man, get rid/clear it! 

Exactly! If you're in any doubt, clear it - if there's no communication from the keeper, take the initiative.

On 19/12/2021 at 20:00, Beth said:

He reminds me of that keeper who was at Bolton for donkeys years, Jaaskelainen. Bang average with the odd blinder and shit performance thrown in now and again. 

Do you like any of our players by the way? 

2 hours ago, steve_69 said:

Exactly! If you're in any doubt, clear it - if there's no communication from the keeper, take the initiative.

Keeper needs to bellow one of two words there: either “keeper” or “away”. He clearly didn’t. 

That’s not a good reason for Clark to let it bounce in the fucking six yard box.