Martin Dúbravka

Figures 1-0 Football

I was actually quite pleased he had a howler in front of a global tv audience, hopefully it will kill any interest from other clubs who might fancy a decent keeper. 

1 hour ago, TorchyTBB said:

I'm in the minority, but I think he's the most overrated player we've got.  Just an average keeper, good at some things and poor in others.  Can't recollect him ever being linked with a top club in all the time we've had him, which says something?

Average?! He has been linked with Juve and PSG!

11 minutes ago, TRon said:

I was actually quite pleased he had a howler in front of a global tv audience, hopefully it will kill any interest from other clubs who might fancy a decent keeper. 

I mean I get what you’re saying but you realize he’s a human, one who’s actually seemingly a good one too. 

38 minutes ago, madras said:

TBF Darlow and Elliot were/are competent,Elliot gets extra stick because he defended the regime, but Dubravka is better.

Around that period they were both playing with gaping holes in their games iirc, Darlow was decent stopping shots and could do nothing else consistently while Elliot was ok all round but couldn't get down to anything at all was thus shit at stopping shots.

2 hours ago, Kanji said:

I mean I get what you’re saying but you realize he’s a human, one who’s actually seemingly a good one too. 

Of course, personally I felt bad for him, I always want our players to do well. But at the same time I want him to stay here, and despite the odd rick, he's an outstanding keeper. 

The first error where he batted it into his own net, he's not ever going to do that again in his lifetime. The second one was a case of poor judgement, but I'd rather have a keeper who tries to command his area than one who stays glued to the line. 

He won't be showing the highlights of that game to his grandkids, that's for sure.

I think we need to make a decision on Woodman this summer. He's 24 now and I think he'll want to make the step up rather than have yet another season in the championshit. Either cash in or make him No 1.

3 minutes ago, Beth said:

He won't be showing the highlights of that game to his grandkids, that's for sure.

I think we need to make a decision on Woodman this summer. He's 24 now and I think he'll want to make the step up rather than have yet another season in the championshit. Either cash in or make him No 1.

I love Dubs but if we could get a good fee that would be reinvested elsewhere ( a tale as old as tiiiiiiiiiime a song as old as rhyyyyyyyyyme) then i'd make the move and play woodman personally

but that presupposes that we're a real football club when we're not so who gives a fuck

1 hour ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

I love Dubs but if we could get a good fee that would be reinvested elsewhere ( a tale as old as tiiiiiiiiiime a song as old as rhyyyyyyyyyme) then i'd make the move and play woodman personally

but that presupposes that we're a real football club when we're not so who gives a fuck

He's a solid 7/10 keeper but yesterdays peformance won't have done us any favours in getting a decent fee for him, plus keepers over the age of 30 rarely go for big money. If we can get somewhere between 6-8M I'd sell him tbh. Woodman as no 1 and Darlow to play the Harper role for the rest of his career......

Id rather Woodman had a year in the PL first before we bin off Dubravka. Though loaning him out would obviously be strengthening a rival. 

Big difference between a good keeper for a championship side and being peppered with action in the PL. 

4 hours ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Perhaps you should try and cast your mind back to when Dubs came in and what it was like to actually have a competent keeper again after watching Elliot & Darlow between the sticks.  It was an absolute revelation and he raised the bar the moment he walked into the club, that you know take that level of quality for granted is laughable.

Aye the jump in quality from the what we’d had from Elliot and Darlow to Dubravka helped steer us to mid-table. Those are average keepers, Dubravka is good/very good.

13 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Is Woodman better than Dubs then? I've not seen enough of him to judge. Or are people just going on the hype?

This is what I'm wondering. Darlow was doing well enough last season to be getting talk about an England call up, but the difference in class once Dubs came back was pretty stark. I would like to see Woodman play a few first team games next season before getting rid of a proven goalkeeper who will be rated one of the better ones in the PL. 

Can't really say he's better now, it's about potential/age etc. imo.  If Woodman happy to keep being loaned out then by all means keep Dubs but if we feel that Woodman is a legit number 1 for years to come we have to take the leap sometime.  And for the record I love Dubs, big fan.

2 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Can't really say he's better now, it's about potential/age etc. imo.  If Woodman happy to keep being loaned out then by all means keep Dubs but if we feel that Woodman is a legit number 1 for years to come we have to take the leap sometime.  And for the record I love Dubs, big fan.

But he has to be good enough to play a full season as no 1 if we are talking about selling Dubs. Have you seen enough of him to be confident he could do that?

1 minute ago, TRon said:

But he has to be good enough to play a full season as no 1 if we are talking about selling Dubs. Have you seen enough of him to be confident he could do that?

Almost certainly not, but what I have seen I've liked.  Luckily it's not my call!

26 minutes ago, mrmojorisin75 said:

Almost certainly not, but what I have seen I've liked.  Luckily it's not my call!

Seems to me the right thing to do would be to sell Darlow and promote Woodman to no 2, that way he should get enough games next season for us to make a call on whether he should be fighting for the first choice spot. Assuming he's better - or potentially better than Darlow.

• 3 weeks later...

In this situation when Dubravka is injured and will miss the start of the season I would let Darlow go on loan untill january.

Give Woodman a chance untill Dubravka comes back. That would give Woodman a good chance to prove that he is good enough. When Dubravka comes back he is no 1 if Woodman's not better.

If it doesen't work out we can always bring Darlow back from his loan.

On 24/06/2021 at 09:10, TorchyTBB said:

I'm in the minority, but I think he's the most overrated player we've got.  Just an average keeper, good at some things and poor in others.  Can't recollect him ever being linked with a top club in all the time we've had him, which says something?

If he was a poor keeper we'd be conceding 100 goals per season.

On 24/06/2021 at 13:54, Doctor Zaius said:

Id rather Woodman had a year in the PL first before we bin off Dubravka. Though loaning him out would obviously be strengthening a rival. 

Big difference between a good keeper for a championship side and being peppered with action in the PL. 

Strengthening one rival against 18 others, and not allowed to play against ourselves, meaning we get to test their backup.

• 1 month later...