Your favourite and least favourite journalists/ pundits

joeyt

Been quite a bit of discussion in various threads about pundits and journalists recently so thought it might be good to have one thread to discuss your favourite and least favourite journalists/ pundits etc. Can include non footballing ones if you like too

My favourite football ones are probably:

James Richardson- love his podcast and the European football show was great. Also cult with Football Italia.

George Caulkin- Pretty obvious choice

Kelly Cates- I lazily assumed that she was just a presenter until recently and didn't realise just how great her football knowledge is.

Daniel Storey-  he nearly always gets his F365 articles spot on, especially regarding us.

Michael Atherton and Nasser Hussain - the majority of Sky's cricket analysis is great but I could listen to those two all day

Don't mind Rio and Lampard on BT too.

Least favourite are the obvious ones such as Savage, Owen, Souness, Quinn  etc. Can't watch anything with Roy Keane on and Owen Hargreaves does my head in. I'm sure Lee Ryder will be in everyone's list. Non football related would be Graeme Swann that I dislike. This thread might die on its arse

Caulkin - Obvious

James Richardson - Could sit and listen to him all day

Atherton - Had his book a few years ago and it was a great read. I rarely disagree with anything (cricket related) he has to say.

I actually don't mind Kyle Martino, but the majority of UK journos / TV personalities are dribbling messes.

Lineker is spot on. I’ve always liked Danny Baker as a football pundit, though he’s a bit irritating as anything else. Danny Kelly because Spurs, although I never listen to Talksport so I don’t know if he’s still any good. James Richardson naturally - Gazzetta was about as good as it gets.

Pretty sure I listen to James Horncastle talk for about 3 hours a day at this point.

Same, I like him but was hesitant to put him on my list as I think I've seen posts on here of people not liking him.  [emoji38]

Really enjoy the three of Horncastle, Laurens and Honigstein with Richardson hosting

Pretty sure I listen to James Horncastle talk for about 3 hours a day at this point.

Same, I like him but was hesitant to put him on my list as I think I've seen posts on here of people not liking him.  [emoji38]

Really enjoy the three of Horncastle, Laurens and Honigstein with Richardson hosting

loved the European football show on BT - the four of these had such chemistry

Guest firetotheworks

For a variety of wildly different reasons - George Caulkin, Gary Lineker, Jake Humphrys, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Alan Shearer, Ian Wright, Danny Murphy, The Football Ramble lads, James Richardson, Garth Crooks, Mark Lawrenson, Martin Hardy, Mark Douglas.

Not a pundit as such but I love hearing/reading Danny Baker, he manages to politely eviscerate those who deserve it, which is mostly other (non-Millwall) London clubs. I was also told by someone (ahem) in the know that it was he who came up with the Fast Show's bit on the 'Chanel 9' skit where, inexplicably, Chris Waddle would be mentioned in the middle of something unrelated (cf his time at Marseille, where commentary would be, to any non-Francophone: "ethethetheth, ethetheth Chris Waddle")

Louise Taylor is a mackem hack who spent a good few years trying, unsuccessfully, to extract her tongue from Roy Keane's hoop long enough to construct a cogent sentence. Barry Glendinning's a ridiculously biased tw@ as well.

Only real exposure to Kelly Cates is on Totally Football Show and I find she grates quite a lot.  From snippets I've seen, she's much better on TV when she's hosting rather than a contributing guest.

Rory Smith is exceptional whenever he's on Set Piece Menu or Five Live and his articles are great.

I think Mark Douglas is massively underrated - think his longer pieces are pretty good, but I feel he gets a rough ride on here.

James Richardson and most of the regulars on the Totally Football Show - Laurens, Horncastle, Honigstein, Cox - are pretty good.  Think David Preece is very good as well.

Guest firetotheworks

Gerrard is absolutely gash as a pundit, offers nothing insightful whatsoever.

I find the same with Thierry Henry. Which is frustrating considering how good of a player he was.

Henry is one of the worst in a way. He's not like Merson or Redknapp in that he's obviously not stupid and doesn't make ridiculous, thick as fuck points, it's more that he presents very basic, obvious points, really, really slowly.

Guest firetotheworks

For a variety of wildly different reasons - George Caulkin, Gary Lineker, Jake Humphrys, Rio Ferdinand, Frank Lampard, Alan Shearer, Ian Wright, Danny Murphy, The Football Ramble lads, James Richardson, Garth Crooks, Mark Lawrenson, Martin Hardy, Mark Douglas.

Agree with all of them, but Danny Murphy?  ???

I was just saying this to Yorkie the other day, I think he's got a lot better recently. Also one of the main reasons I don't mind him and Wright is because of the way they work well with Shearer. Without him I'd probably not have mentioned them.

Favourite: James Horncastle, George Caulkin, Frank Lampard, Rio Ferdinand, Alan Shearer, Ian Wright (when not talking about Pardew), Matt Le Tissier, Jake Humphrey, Danny Higginbotham

Least favourite: Paul Merson, Graeme Souness, Jamie Redknapp, Thierry Henry, Robbie Savage, Steven Gerrard, Michael Owen, Phil Neville, Don Hutchison, Paul Scholes, Jason Cundy

Good:

Gab Marcotti

James Richardson

James Horncastle

Andy Brassell

Julien Laurens

Raphael Honigstein

Rory Smith

Sasha Goryunov

Michael Cox

Henry Winter

George Caulkin