Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

• 2 months later...

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2594607.html?iv=true&iv=true

Paris Saint-Germain – Manchester United FC

Penalty award - 90'

The VAR, after checking various different angles available to him, recommended to the referee an on-field review following the penalty area incident.

Given that the referee did not recognise the incident clearly during live play (referred to as serious missed incident in the VAR protocol) an on-field review was conducted.

Following the on-field review, the referee confirmed that the distance that the ball travelled was not short and the impact could therefore not be unexpected. The defender’s arm was not close to the body, which made the defender’s body bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal. The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick.

All the above-mentioned decisions were made in full compliance with the VAR protocol.

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2594607.html?iv=true&iv=true

Paris Saint-Germain – Manchester United FC

Penalty award - 90'

The VAR, after checking various different angles available to him, recommended to the referee an on-field review following the penalty area incident.

Given that the referee did not recognise the incident clearly during live play (referred to as serious missed incident in the VAR protocol) an on-field review was conducted.

Following the on-field review, the referee confirmed that the distance that the ball travelled was not short and the impact could therefore not be unexpected. The defender’s arm was not close to the body, which made the defender’s body bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal. The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick.

All the above-mentioned decisions were made in full compliance with the VAR protocol.

Looking forward to everyone defending like penguins from now on...

Absolute bullshit. The ball was blasted at him and had a trajectory towards the moon.

Mcmanaman was almost laughing about it on the commentary, if it was awards against man u they'd all be furious.

VAR is absolutely awful

"Following the on-field review, the referee confirmed that the distance that the ball travelled was not short and the impact could therefore not be unexpected. The defender’s arm was not close to the body, which made the defender’s body bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal. The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick."

Not sure how you can blame VAR for this. This is about interpretation. It's like blaming your glasses for watching a volcano erupt.

Guest neesy111

"Following the on-field review, the referee confirmed that the distance that the ball travelled was not short and the impact could therefore not be unexpected. The defender’s arm was not close to the body, which made the defender’s body bigger thus resulting in the ball being stopped from travelling in the direction of the goal. The referee, therefore, awarded a penalty kick."

Not sure how you can blame VAR for this. This is about interpretation. It's like blaming your glasses for watching a volcano erupt.

The referee had 2 mins to check the incident, if he can't see the distance to speed in that time then he shouldn't be in the job.  There's no point in var if it's not going to correct the clear and obvious errors, would rather see left it as it is.

The referee had 2 mins to check the incident, if he can't see the distance to speed in that time then he shouldn't be in the job.  There's no point in var if it's not going to correct the clear and obvious errors, would rather see left it as it is.

We're in agreement with the outcome, but you and I seem to be blaming two different things. I don't think it's the technology's fault here, and VAR, like all tech, can be used for good as well as bad. Clearly the incompetent refs are the issue. I'd say let VAR expose these frauds, over time this will FORCE the refs, FA and UEFA to improve.

It struck me when looking at that glorious picture of the crowd following Perez's second goal, this is the kind of thing that VAR is going to take away from us. And I don't just mean because it was offside, and hence would subsequently have been disallowed. Even if Rondon had been onside, they would have referred it to be checked. So you would have had those few seconds of total joy, then the ref would have been like, hold on lads, we're just checking VAR to see if it counts. So everybody puts celebrations on hold while they check it for a couple of minutes. Oh, it's alright, start your celebrations again.

VAR will undoubtedly result in more 'right' decisions being made, certainly in respect of offside anyway, so in that sense it's difficult to argue it's a 'bad' thing. But, IMO, it's definitely going to take something away from the matchday experience. Even if you're just watching on the telly. Those spontaneous moments of sheer joy in the aftermath of a goal, so well captured in the Perez picture, are going to be diluted, and that is to the detriment of the game.

It struck me when looking at that glorious picture of the crowd following Perez's second goal, this is the kind of thing that VAR is going to take away from us. And I don't just mean because it was offside, and hence would subsequently have been disallowed. Even if Rondon had been onside, they would have referred it to be checked. So you would have had those few seconds of total joy, then the ref would have been like, hold on lads, we're just checking VAR to see if it counts. So everybody puts celebrations on hold while they check it for a couple of minutes. Oh, it's alright, start your celebrations again.

VAR will undoubtedly result in more 'right' decisions being made, certainly in respect of offside anyway, so in that sense it's difficult to argue it's a 'bad' thing. But, IMO, it's definitely going to take something away from the matchday experience. Even if you're just watching on the telly. Those spontaneous moments of sheer joy in the aftermath of a goal, so well captured in the Perez picture, are going to be diluted, and that is to the detriment of the game.

To be honest the V.A .R has not done the game any favors  here in Australia  . Seems to be just as many bad decisions. 

Rather  not have it myself , 

I can't believe any NUFC fan doesn't want VAR like. :lol:

My point isn't really about whether it's going to benefit NUFC particularly (although just because we've had the rough end of decisions over the past couple of seasons, and would have theoretically benefited from it's use, doesn't necessarily mean it's going to play out like that going forward, but anyway). It's more about what it takes away from the game as a whole (from a fan perspective).

Perhaps we shouldn't care about being joyous in the moment, during a game. Perhaps we should all just be happy afterwards that the correct decision was made and we can all agree on that (unless it involves a handball decision obviously, which is a complete shambles at the moment).

To be honest when i'm at the match and we score, i always delay my celebration by a second to see if the lino has his flag up or anything anyway.

Bit weird mate  :lol:

Nonetheless, hanging fire for a second or so is a bit different to a couple of minutes...

To be honest when i'm at the match and we score, i always delay my celebration by a second to see if the lino has his flag up or anything anyway.

Nonetheless, hanging fire for a second or so is a bit different to a couple of minutes...

So no one else looks at the lino to check? :lol:

So no one else looks at the lino to check? :lol:

I do, it’s not weird at all.  If there’s a chance of an offside/foul/handball in the build up then i always hang fire in case it gets disallowed.