Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Mad how people didn't think VAR was going to ruin the game when it got brought in

VAR would’ve been and still could be fine. The problem is they got referees to decide on the implementation and usage of it.

If they’d given it to a panel of players, you know, people that have actually played the game, the implementation would’ve been fine.

Exactly the same thing should be done when deciding on rule changes but instead they leave it to people who have never played the game and they consistently fuck it up. Who’d have thought?!

VAR's okay. This handball rule is cretinous and total pish. All VAR does is increase consistency, which has to be a good. It's way better than some pundit's "they even out over a season" bollocks. Tell that to Watford fans whose team got relegated instead of Aston Villa.

The fact that fancied Tottenham were on the losing end this time counts a plus mark for VAR.

Guest neesy111

I actually don’t think the handball law is a particularly easy rule to get right personally.

Well there was always an element of doubt of whether it was deliberate or not in the previous rules before VAR but the current rules make it 1000x worse.

I actually don’t think the handball law is a particularly easy rule to get right personally.

Well there was always an element of doubt of whether it was deliberate or not in the previous rules before VAR but the current rules make it 1000x worse.

Agreed. I just can see why this one was given, personally. But I seem to be the only person who does. And for the record, I was quite keen for us to lose today.

Guest neesy111

Agreed. I just can see why this one was given, personally. But I seem to be the only person who does. And for the record, I was quite keen for us to lose today.

Under the rules it is a pen, but I think the rule is a sham and clearly not thought through at all.

Under the rules it is a pen, but I think the rule is a sham and clearly not thought through at all.

What do you think the handball rule should be?

Guest neesy111

What do you think the handball rule should be?

Personally not up to me to decide but the current rule's goes against everything what VAR was brought in for which was clear and obvious errors.  Now they've created a rule that means they are looking for penalties whenever the ball goes near a defender's arm.

With VAR analysing to this degree, I don't think there is an easy solution. The interpretation of this rule always relied on referees applying common sense. Three years ago, players would have appealed for two seconds, the ref would wave play on, and no one would care about the incident because handballs like this are innocuous for the most part. No fan or player of the game wanted to see more of these decisions given as handball.

The crux of the problem now is that the consequence of handballs in the box is far too severe. This has always been the case, but the game was protected from it by the common sense that used to govern football. Now that the sport is governed by VAR, it would make sense to alter the rules to limit the consequences a bit.

I would favour making deliberate hand ball stopping a direct shot on goal=penalty + red card, non-deliberate handball stopping a direct shot on goal=penalty, all other handballs in the box=indirect freekick. If we cannot fix VAR, maybe we can lower the stakes.

As long as the current version of football has existed, the rule had been free kick awarded for DELIBERATE handball and there was nothing wrong with it. It worked.

Things have only become fucked since they started messing around with it.

Guest Cheesy Beans

Wait, people are blaming VAR for following the rules? :lol:

Yeap, it's the rule that's the issue.

The rules were changed to accommodate VAR, VAR is the issue here.

With VAR analysing to this degree, I don't think there is an easy solution. The interpretation of this rule always relied on referees applying common sense. Three years ago, players would have appealed for two seconds, the ref would wave play on, and no one would care about the incident because handballs like this are innocuous for the most part. No fan or player of the game wanted to see more of these decisions given as handball.

The crux of the problem now is that the consequence of handballs in the box is far too severe. This has always been the case, but the game was protected from it by the common sense that used to govern football. Now that the sport is governed by VAR, it would make sense to alter the rules to limit the consequences a bit.

I would favour making deliberate hand ball stopping a direct shot on goal=penalty + red card, non-deliberate handball stopping a direct shot on goal=penalty, all other handballs in the box=indirect freekick. If we cannot fix VAR, maybe we can lower the stakes.

:thup:

The handball rule is abysmal but it is the natural progression from using VAR to govern every little thing.

Common sense and the natural pace of the game ensured that we didn't have this nonsense taking place. Now the sport is being manipulated to service VAR.

Trying to use video in a game like football was always going to be a terrible idea. It's an imperfect game, with as many grey areas as there are black and white. The more you push for perfection, the more you're destroying the very fabric of the sport.

Shit like that Leicester third penalty can get to fuck as well. Just the slightest touch on the shoulder and Maddison is allowed to chuck himself to the ground (whilest barely even facing the goal) and get a penalty. There needs to be more than just "contact" for there to be a foul ffs.

Shit like that Leicester third penalty can get to fuck as well. Just the slightest touch on the shoulder and Maddison is allowed to chuck himself to the ground (whilest barely even facing the goal) and get a penalty. There needs to be more than just "contact" for there to be a foul ffs.

The second too. Vardy runs in front of the defender, makes minimal contact and goes down. It's not 'winning a penalty' its cheating of the highest order.