Video Assistant Referees (VAR)

Figures 1-0 Football
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

He’s not wrong but the Fulham disallowed goal was crazily still correct and due to a stupid rule. I think they should change that rule to make exceptions for such cases as well as some of the protocols such as marginal offsides (I mean Werner’s tonight was ridiculous), but I think a chance for the ref to rewatch is good to have for red cards, penalties, key fouls etc.

I don't think VAR is something you can just remove once it has been implemented. People would go mad the second a clear decision is missed, not talking about marginal offside/handball but clear offsides and penalties

Honestly if we have VAR and i can understand arguments for and against honestly feel the bar for it being called upon should be much higher and mainly reserved for glaring errors or things the ref genuinely didnt see. If you have to zoom in on an offside and bring on milimeter apart lines to check for offside should just be 'umpires call' like in cricket, If ref saw a challenge his judgement should stick, if he missed someone being kicked in the head then use it.

Honestly if we have VAR and i can understand arguments for and against honestly feel the bar for it being called upon should be much higher and mainly reserved for glaring errors or things the ref genuinely didnt see. If you have to zoom in on an offside and bring on milimeter apart lines to check for offside should just be 'umpires call' like in cricket, If ref saw a challenge his judgement should stick, if he missed someone being kicked in the head then use it.

Yep. I think VAR should be still be used as the technology is excellent and available. Other sports use it so football should also. However, it's been used so badly that I can understand why many would rather it wasn't part of the game. I like to think the issues could be addressed rather than seeing it as a case of no VAR or VAR as things stand.

I wouldn't be too sad to see it not being used for offsides but I think it could be an option for the most blatant offside errors, so all the bother of organising an offside trap isn't going to waste etc. I think that seems pretty reasonable compared to what we saw last night when Werner was effectively offside for pointing where the pass should be received.

Should never have been brought in in the first place

Video replays are an excellent idea.  The whole VAR carry on is creating confusion purely because of the people running it.

I do wonder whether the people who were most keen on introducing VAR are now the ones who are most critical of it.

It was never going to be perfect. It was never going to eliminate doubt or controversy. It was never going to stop managers from moaning when decisions go against them.

Expectations need to be more realistic.

Agree. Saw folk arguing that attackers will be deliberately dangling their feet back etc but not sure how that would in anyway be of benefit.

Would have to see how it plays out in practice like. Obviously the ultimate solution would just be to fuck VAR off.

'Dangling their feet back' sounds a bit far-fetched. :lol: These incidents are usually happening in motion, with attackers sprinting forward.

Daylight being the line makes sense to me. These toenail incidents don't reflect the purpose of the rule, which is there to prevent unfair advantages. You can't tell me - off the top of my head - Bamford had an unfair advantage against Wolves (was it?) the other weekend.

Terrible

How? Think that’s a great idea tbh. Should have been the law from the start.

Got me thinking.

If they want to be this pernickety, then do it wholesale. If his left shoulder is offside, but the player scores with his right shin, which wasn't offside, it's a goal.

Dutch use a margin of an error IIRC, could be worth looking at.

Whatever happens it's hard to see how it is going to change the process though as it'll still come down to whether point x of the attacker is offside regardless of what point they're using.

As someone who was/still is pretty anti-VAR I wouldn't be against the video ref only being able to watch replays in real time and having a time limited period to make an overruling call. Hasn't be so much an issue during the pandemic but it needs to be less intrusive to the match going experience.

With the clubs being asked opinions, is there any scope for them saying don't use it at all? Or are the EPL under a mandatory obligation from FIFA to implement it? I have always found it confusing that the managers hate it so much, yet getting rid doesn't appear to be part of the conversation.

'Dangling their feet back' sounds a bit far-fetched. :lol: These incidents are usually happening in motion, with attackers sprinting forward.

Daylight being the line makes sense to me. These toenail incidents don't reflect the purpose of the rule, which is there to prevent unfair advantages. You can't tell me - off the top of my head - Bamford had an unfair advantage against Wolves (was it?) the other weekend.

If anything you want to promote the advantage to the person who reacts quicker.