Personal Finance Thread

mods please delete/merge if there is already one of these threads, but thought it would be good to have somewhere to discuss personal finance tips on managing money, savings, maybe some investments in stocks etc, that kind of thing.

we've just came back from holiday and have decided we need to be better with money, we both earn decent enough cash but never seem to be able to build much of a savings pot, we don't do badly in terms of holidays etc, but we seem to waste money and aren't the best at budgeting/saving etc and owed like to improve.

does anyone use any apps or spreadsheets to among personal spends/create savings goals etc (i think some banks offer this but we have very basic co-op accounts and they don't, sadly).

Guest firetotheworks

I'm not very good with money, but one thing I've finally stopped is buying my lunch when I'm at work. I was spending around £75 - £100 a month just on shite from Tesco.

I'm not very good with money, but one thing I've finally stopped is buying my lunch when I'm at work. I was spending around £75 - £100 a month just on s**** from Tesco.

I reckon I spend double Mate, no joke. £10 a day on cafe food easy. Ridiculous really.

Digit is a great app for saving for specific things (not retirement, basically). Not sure if it's available in the UK

thanks i'll have a look at that.

Chip is similar and available in the UK.

Great, I’ll try this out

mods please delete/merge if there is already one of these threads, but thought it would be good to have somewhere to discuss personal finance tips on managing money, savings, maybe some investments in stocks etc, that kind of thing.

we've just came back from holiday and have decided we need to be better with money, we both earn decent enough cash but never seem to be able to build much of a savings pot, we don't do badly in terms of holidays etc, but we seem to waste money and aren't the best at budgeting/saving etc and owed like to improve.

does anyone use any apps or spreadsheets to among personal spends/create savings goals etc (i think some banks offer this but we have very basic co-op accounts and they don't, sadly).

Mate, I'm right here. PM.

I'm not very good with money, but one thing I've finally stopped is buying my lunch when I'm at work. I was spending around £75 - £100 a month just on shite from Tesco.

I'm the opposite.  Used to bring my own lunch when the only option was a Tesco meal deal or university canteen, but in the US I probably spend about $20 a day on coffee/lunch.  I know it's a waste but tacos.

I'm not very good with money, but one thing I've finally stopped is buying my lunch when I'm at work. I was spending around £75 - £100 a month just on s**** from Tesco.

It's a killer. Once you spend on lunch etc you just spend for the sake of it. Love weeks when I end with the same amount of money in my wallet as I started. (Naturally family shopping and stuff aint included).

Can't be fucked with proper budgeting, so I try and stick to the 50/30/20 plan.  50% of your takehome goes towards essentials (food, rent, bills, etc), 30% for non-essentials, and 20% for savings/debt.  As long as your rent isn't eating up your entire paycheck it gives you enough to live comfortably whilst still putting a decent amount towards a mortgage deposit or retirement.

Read Rich Dad, Poor Dad.  Done wonders for me.

One thing I did a while ago which was a bit of an eye opener was going through a few months worth of statements and totalling up where my money was going. I realise that’s something plenty of people do mind :lol: But it made me realise how much I was spunking on my lunches and coffees at work, as well as noticing daft habits that added up over the month but didn’t seem like much.

Read Rich Dad, Poor Dad.  Done wonders for me.

I’m two thirds of the way through, some great lessons so far 👍🏼

• 2 weeks later...

I've stuck £13,000 in premium bonds and won £200 back in a year, which is more than i would have got in a savings account, utterly ridiculous but.

i've looked at premium bonds as an option, think i'll put a bit each month in there too tbh.

I've stuck £13,000 in premium bonds and won £200 back in a year, which is more than i would have got in a savings account, utterly ridiculous but.

i've looked at premium bonds as an option, think i'll put a bit each month in there too tbh.

I've found it worthwhile, well if you win, but at least you lose nothing and the winnings are tax free.

I've found it worthwhile, well if you win, but at least you lose nothing and the winnings are tax free.

thanks mate  O0