Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice

Got a copy of this first to dip my toes in before buying. Thank Christ I did because even if I have the ability, there's absolutely no way I can be arsed to get good enough for this game. :lol: I'm sure it's absolutely brilliant and I enjoyed parts up until the first boss, but it's too much of a commitment. I reckon I'll get Ghosts of Tsushima to do the Kurosawa thing instead.

Nioh's pretty good and available for peanuts. I had absolutely no interest in this from the start, the early reports from a few podcasts of Souls veterans saying they were really struggling was enough to put me off.

I've watched my friend play through a canny bit of Nioh, it looks great. :thup: Still quite expensive on Steam and CDKeys, but still cheaper than buying a PS4 at the minute like. :lol:

I still think this is a great game like, it just isn't a Souls game. I played through it again last month and the combat almost felt innate, I almost didnt have to relearn anything after a year out, the timing and muscle memory was all still in my head, which I think is testament to just how good it is.

• 8 months later...

I see this has had a bit of an update. Had a quick look to see what it's about - appears to boil down to adding Souls type phantoms, and allowing you to replay the bosses. Not the little bosses like the generals and Juzou or whatever he was called, only the big ones like the horse dude, butterfly woman, Genichiro and Owl, Corrupted Monk, probably the ape but I didn't notice it.  That lad who @Mike and @Andy enjoyed so much, the one with the habit of plunging off cliffs, he was there too.

Played it for five minutes, still don't like it [emoji38] a boss replay mode is a good addition, though - always infuriated me on the Souls games that you couldn't practice bosses except by getting summoned.

• 5 months later...

Just killed some centipede cunt. A bit stuck on that cunt that transform and start shooting lightning. Reckon I could do him now that I've upgraded my Mithri counters. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I can barely remember any of them tbh.  Who's the spear boss and his friend?

I restart it every once in a while and get as far as Juzhou (or whatever he's called) v1.00 and instantly switch from "maybe this isn't so bad" to "oh aye, this is one of the main reasons that I didn't like it".  Only so many times I can run across that lake and pick off his useless mates one by one.  All I want to do is fight the boss again, it's what From are good at, and it makes me do five minutes of banal busywork every time before I can try him again.

Nope, no recollection at all :lol: the only ones I ducked were the headless ones and I didn't beat the last one, but while I have a vague memory of somebody small and basically human but not one of the Snake Eyes in that underground chamber you start in, that's all.

I only remember really enjoying, in a proper DS and BB way, one of the bosses but I can't remember what he was called and I don't want to describe him in case you haven't seen him yet :lol: might reinstall and see if I can find him in that boss replay mode they added. I'm sure there were more that I enjoyed but there's only one who really stands out in my memory (not the fucking ape)

Or do you mean the dude outside the house where you first meet the Prince at the very start? He's been there for a long time but I found him a fuck on as well for the same reason as I complained about Juzhou, constantly nearly killing him then accidentally aggro'ing a couple of mooks from the field below who came up just in time to fuck everything up :lol:

It's Seven Ashina Spears - Shume Masaji Oniwa. Really tough fight, though you can get some help by using Pupeteer Ninjutsu on the rifle man.

I must say though, I just don't agree with your criticism of the game at all @OpenC. I think it's mechanically brilliant, absolutely love the balance between attack and defence. It's not quite as good as Bloodborne IMO, but that was arguably the best game of that generation so it's hardly a fair comparison. I've only played about half of Dark Souls 3 of the Souls games, but I much prefer this to that. Not saying its better, but it suits me a lot better. 

Ah right, didn't realise there was another one. During the invasion at the end presumably?

There's a lot to love about the game, I just personally found an inordinate amount to hate as well :lol: In the context of Bloodborne as you mentioned, it was up against it for me from the start, and I was never going to approve of a game that forced you to parry as much as this does, but it wasn't just that. I personally think they got the balance spectacularly wrong, mostly because of the parry - there's basically no other way to play it 'properly' (though you can sprint and chip your way through most of it, it's not too entertaining). They made some other shit fundamental design decisions as well IMO. I saw it through to the end - to the last boss, anyway - but it was a drag the whole way for me, it never ever clicked. 

If I hadn't paid full price for it, I don't think I would have even got as far as the first proper boss on the horse in all honesty.

Edited by OpenC

• 2 weeks later...