Jurassic World: Evolution

So I had no idea this was a thing, but every YouTuber under the sun has just released a let's play-off it, and it seems decent enough. IGN gave it a 4.8 but it's IGN so I'm going to choose to ignore that.

Also Jeff Goldblum does a lot of the voice overs.

It's limited by the license and most likely time constraints which have resulted in the game having to be pushed out in time to coincide with the new movie. I played an hour through Steam and hit the refund button.

I wouldn't say it's an outright terrible game, just a disappointing one given that their previous game, Planet Coaster, is also a park builder but one that has infinitely more depth and really encourages sandbox play with a freedom to express your own creativity. Planet Coaster is backed by excellent user created mod content, where this is very much restricted to what they've put in it. If this had come before Planet Coaster I'd have felt a bit more forgiving towards it but it feels like they've had to operate with too many restrictions and it's come up way short of what it could have been.

I'll pick it up on sale when all the expansions are released. So pleased I didn't preorder this one because from the impressions I've read it's extremely disappointing.

Didn't IGN give Alien Isolation about 4 out of 10 as well and it was easily a 9?

I really like the look of this but I'll wait until it's reduced.

Who are generally the best reviewers?

It varies from game to game. If you look at a website and it's littered with adverts for a particular game you can bet that particular game is going to get a generous review. Gamespot for example are one to avoid as they have a history of removing reviewers who have written reviews given low final scores to AAA games advertising on their website. The review is then quickly replaced by another that bumps the score up by a few points.

On Jurassic World: Evolution thought I wouldn't hesitate to give it a 5/10 from the hour I played. That wouldn't be because it's an outright terrible game but because it is very evident from the get-go that there isn't a huge amount of game beyond grinding to unlock the next thing. Unlike Frontier's previous game, Planet Coaster, this really lacks in the customisation element that gives these games a bit of longevity. I don't really want to blame Frontier because I think that the concept here is a lot grander on paper than when it's brought to reality. I think if this came out at £25 you'd still feel disappointed in the lack of content. It feels to me a lot like a £15 or less game.

Didn't IGN give Alien Isolation about 4 out of 10 as well and it was easily a 9?

I really like the look of this but I'll wait until it's reduced.

depends on the tastes of the person as well, Alien Isolation being a stealth game is especially polarizing given thats kinda a love it or hate it genre

I got this as I did like Operation Genesis back in the day.

It’s okay I guess. It does keep you busy at times, other times it is boring.

The raptors are little shits. I am on the second island and they breakout every 2 secs. So I put some bigger carnivores in with them to put some manners on them (they fight but don’t kill oddly enough) and it seems to have worked.

Really mixed feeling on this for me. It’s good and entertaining when hell breaks lose and you have to find a solution to stop the hell, but once everything is settled and back to normal it can get boring sometimes.

• 1 month later...