The Gareth Southgate Appreciation Thread (Warning may contain lots of words)

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

:smitten:

I thought he was an uninspired appointment despite seeing merit in why the FA would go for him. I thought he would be another Steve McClaren all over again to be honest.

How wrong was I.

Only the 3rd manager ever to take England to a WC Semi-Final.

Lead us to our first ever WC penalty shootout success.

Has United the Nation.

Has enabled people to take back the St George’s Cross from the racists, people dont feel shame in showing pride for our country now.

Has assembled a hungry, young egoless team that now play the kind of football that allows us to not look like a 3rd rate nation at a major tournament. We now look like one of the more progressive sides with our football, tactics and style of play.

Has become a leader and someone who makes you feel proud of being our manager even if he doesn’t have a glittering managerial careeer or a wealth of experience that other big names had.

Has rekindled my love for the WC and passion and interest in the national team and no doubt many others.

Even if we go out on Wednesday he will have done a fantastic job, the players too, and will return home as heroes. There is genuine feel good factor about our team and players and the future looks very bright under Southgate.

I hope we can do it, but it’s going to be hard. We are the weaker of the 4 left, but we shouldn’t fear anyone and I don’t think we will. We have players capable of winning a match for us against anyone and we have the character, spirit, work rate and I hope ambition.

COME ON ENGLAND!

The Gate :thup:

Thought it was an uninspiring, safe and convenient appointment at first, maybe it was but he's done a great job the last few months.

Still disagree with his squad selection but he's getting a good shift out of these players and there's a fantastic mood across the country now thanks to him and them.

Carries himself well too and seems a good bloke.

I really, really like the guy. I know he doesn't come out with anything especially groundbreaking but I hang on his every word during interviews. He just comes across so intelligent and likeable; genuine and dignified, no bullshit or bravado, and clearly a student of the game. I want to hear what he's got to say.

And it really seems like he's a perfect fit for this squad of players; he understands what makes them tick, both as players and as people. You don't have to be the greatest tactician in the world if so many other things click.

He's been good.  Got the best out of the players, that's all you can ask for as far as I was concerned.  The fact he's exceeded expectations is the icing on the cake.  I'm hoping his (sadly lack of) tactical nous won't be our eventual downfall, but I don't care.  He was a safe appointment, but he's done everything every other manager should have, got rid of the old hasbeens (at least in England shirts), and started to mould a new, young team that the country can get invested in and support year after year. 

I don't think we can overstate how much the general disdain for our English players seeing them as remote, with a lack of passion for the shirt in return has moulded our fortune for the last twenty years.  Nobody gave a shit about them for years, sure we'd all watch the games, get carried away, but there was still always that "I don't really care anyway, they're all total wankers" feel about England.

Best thing that happened to Southgate was Rooney fucking off.  Not sure he would have had the balls to drop him, but he's gone, and that's good.  Same with the likes of Hart. 

Southgate did drop Rooney, Bluf. His first squad binned him iirc.

It would be the ultimate redemption story for him to bring the World Cup home after missing that penalty, I love that the commentary featuring his name is in the 1998 version of Three Lions which has become so ubiquitous.

I disagree with HTT that we're the weakest of the four sides left incidentally, I think that's Croatia. They're absolutely not crap like Sweden but nor are they France, they're not that good and we should feel confident.

There's a bit of a narrative that this England side is made up of lesser players than previous squads and maybe that's true but 9 of the typical 11 play for the top four that we have all accepted as being miles ahead of everyone else in the Premier League. They're extremely good players, just less decorated than Lampard and Gerrard et al.

He should definitely stay put.  As much as I like him, I don't actually think he can replicate this sort of success in club football.  He'd be found out there.  Again, saying that, I didn't think he'd get anywhere with England. :lol:

But in seriousness, all the hysteria and joy aside, he still has plenty of cons that any decent club would be aware of and quite possibly avoid. 

He should definitely stay put.  As much as I like him, I don't actually think he can replicate this sort of success in club football.  He'd be found out there.  Again, saying that, I didn't think he'd get anywhere with England. :lol:

But in seriousness, all the hysteria and joy aside, he still has plenty of cons that any decent club would be aware of and quite possibly avoid. 

Well he was shit with Boro. Don't think anyone could have seen this coming. Hopefully it's not just a Pardew style purple patch before revealing his true colours.

Would definitely want him to stay on to at least have another crack at the Euros is we lose to Croatia. I pretty much hated his appointment until a couple of weeks before the WC kicked off like :lol: He just has something about him though, and way the whole team are acting seems a lot better than it ever has.

Yeah deserves another few tournaments with England at the very least. I assume they still get a wage between tournaments too?

Get a wage?

What?

Managers of the England national team get paid, right?

:lol:

Yeah deserves another few tournaments with England at the very least. I assume they still get a wage between tournaments too?

Get a wage?

What?

Managers of the England national team get paid, right?

Yes. Full time job.

Southgate is on £1.8M a year.

More to the job than just managing at tournaments, why wouldn't he get paid for all the scouting work, friendlies, qualifiers / nations league, tactics, analysis, preparation, media and commercial stuff in between? :lol: