The Gareth Southgate Appreciation Thread (Warning may contain lots of words)

Guest Howaythetoon

Yeah deserves another few tournaments with England at the very least. I assume they still get a wage between tournaments too?

Get a wage?

What?

Managers of the England national team get paid, right?

:lol: wat

I was responding to the idea that Southgate would be linked with PL job vacancies in the coming season. I said I'd hope he would get a few more tournaments at least and shouldn't necessarily be attracted by the money of a PL managerial role should he be still getting paid by the FA in the down time between tournaments - but I wasn't sure of the fee for international managers, that's all.

Yeah deserves another few tournaments with England at the very least. I assume they still get a wage between tournaments too?

Get a wage?

What?

:spit:

Get a wage?

What?

:facepalm:

He knows they get paid man :lol: That's a response to Greg's post which can be read as though he's suggesting the England manager doesn't get paid :lol: Making sure.

IC was only asking if the England manager gets paid monthly or by each tournament :lol:

Might be a bit obvious but hardly worthy of anyone being a cunt about it.

He knows they get paid man :lol: That's a response to Greg's post which can be read as though he's suggesting the England manager doesn't get paid :lol: Making sure.

IC was only asking if the England manager gets paid monthly or by each tournament :lol:

Might be a bit obvious but hardly worthy of anyone being a cunt about it.

:lol: I don't know, that's one of the dumbest questions I've ever seen here but at least it's not leaving the atmosphere.

Should only be an international manager though. I suspect after he's won the world cup twice and the euros twice he will move on to a different international team.

Cheers Hans  :lol:

I knew he was being paid. The response to Greg's post (which seemed suggestive of the idea he wasn't - or at least could be interpreted that way) does seem stupid out of context, but it obviously wasn't the dumb, naive question it's being made out to be. I even said "right?" at the end which implies I was looking for confirmation of something I was fairly certain of anyway.

But anyway, aye, have your fun at my expense  :aww:

Guest Howaythetoon

He should definitely stay put.  As much as I like him, I don't actually think he can replicate this sort of success in club football.  He'd be found out there.  Again, saying that, I didn't think he'd get anywhere with England. :lol:

But in seriousness, all the hysteria and joy aside, he still has plenty of cons that any decent club would be aware of and quite possibly avoid. 

Well he was shit with Boro. Don't think anyone could have seen this coming. Hopefully it's not just a Pardew style purple patch before revealing his true colours.

Check out his time there, he kept them up after being appointed which was a good achievement let’s be honest as a first-time manager and oversaw an 8-1 win over Man City which was a notable victory, and although they did end up getting relegated, he was sacked with them 4th in the Championship and 1 point off top. Boro fans were calling for his head as they head go for relegation and were then critical when he was sacked in the Championship.

He has since said that his latter time at Boro wasn’t how he saw things or wanted to play, but during their relegation season he was trapped in some kind of battle to just keep them up by hook or crook which shows me although he has a philiosophy and ideals, it’s all about winning which he understands.

I would swap a number of players that start for him and would have taken players that didn’t make it, but if he keeps winning and the team keeps improving, that’s all that matters.

Keown made a decent point against Sweden, he said although we are not some football nirvana, we used to play the way Sweden did even when we had players like Rooney, Scholes, Beckham, Gerrard, Lampard et al.

That’s what’s pleases me the most, Pickford trying to ping 40 yard passes to the flanks or passing it to someone 10 yards in front, I like that even when it doesn’t come off. Keep doing it, get better at it and watch us become a good football team because we have always had the talent and even though we are not top heavy in that department these days, they are all good players and let’s not forget that.

Guest Howaythetoon

There's a bit of a narrative that this England side is made up of lesser players than previous squads and maybe that's true but 9 of the typical 11 play for the top four that we have all accepted as being miles ahead of everyone else in the Premier League. They're extremely good players, just less decorated than Lampard and Gerrard et al.

Agreed and good point. The last tournament squad (Euros) was full of tat and this is a better squad. Importanty it’s well balanced.

Interesting reading about the quiet influence he's had behind the scenes over the past few years. Sounds like he's been instrumental in the whole St George's Park project, and implementing a style of play across the year groups. Something which has already reaped rewards at youth levels. Stepping up as England manager seems like a culmination of all that, can see him being around for some time.

Still shudder at the thought we have only a pint of wine to thank for coming in between us having Sam Alardyce manage us at this world cup.

He got Boro relegated, let's not try and polish a turd, HTT.  You do this with absolutely everyone that you find an admiration for. :lol:

I remember your fawning posts for Sam Allardyce man. :rose:

Just calm down a bit.  Southgate's done a great job for England, but let's neither rewrite history, nor turn him into some tactical mastermind.  He must prove these things, we are not expected to go digging in and around his time at Boro to find it. :lol:

He's taken time to learn a few things or two since then, that's what we should be noticing.  The attempt at making his tenure there somehow palatable is a little wild, even for you.  I don't mean this as a pure heavy dig by the way, but have a :bong:, calm down, give your fingers and keyboard a rest. :aww: :razz:

Maybe it was an inspired appointment or they lucked out; with our FA I know which way I lean toward. But it's worked and the promotion from within process seems to have reaped rewards.

I don't think the fact he's probably managed at least a third, maybe half of these players for a few years at U21 level is anything to be underestimated. There just seems to be a trust in each other and togetherness that is pushing them that extra step. The tactics are nothing groundbreaking but it's better than the disjointed mess we've seen for however many years, mix that in with the team spirit Southgate has instilled and here we are.

Long may it continue. :clap:

He's normalised the team.  I've no idea whose choice it was to allow them to be so open with the fans, and not shuttled away to hotels and the WAGS and all that shite.  It's really helped.  I've pretty much not like any English footballer in years, but I have 4 or 5 out there I genuinely like.  Seems surreal, almost. :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

He got Boro relegated, let's not try and polish a turd, HTT.  You do this with absolutely everyone that you find an admiration for. :lol:

I remember your fawning posts for Sam Allardyce man. :rose:

Just calm down a bit.  Southgate's done a great job for England, but let's not either rewrite history, or turn him into some tactical mastermind.  He must prove these things, we are not expected to go digging in and around his time at Boro to find it. :lol:

I’m just saying his time at Boro wasn’t some start to finish unmitigated disaster. I had to look up his time there because I thought he took them down in only a few months after taking over.

I wou;d never hold him high tactically by the way because I don’t see a tactical genius in him, he’s more simplified and puts the trust in his players to do the job which may also indicate why he sticks to the same team or sticks with the same players. It may also conclude that he’s stubborn, blind and is nepotistic if that’s even a word.

You are right I kind of fawn over certain managers and even players mostly if I see things I like and that fit my own ideas about the game which a lot of what Big Sam stood for did and now likewise with Southgate.

Anyway I’m enjoying watching an England team form, develop and progress for the first time in 20 years and under someone who doesn’t have an ego, baggage or skeletons or has a glittering career to hoodwink people. It’s refreshimg and for all footy is about ability and skill, it’s also about man management and having a clear philosophy, often which is simplicity personified. KK for example!

Basically I’m not proclaiming him as the best manager in the world or best manager England has ever had even if he wins it, but he’s proving me wrong, hat and I like him.

Skip to the end: OK fair enough Bluff, rule Gareth Southgate der der der der der der der der... ;)

The difference it makes having somebody likeable in charge man.

Imagine having to back an England team in a tournament with Allardyce in charge? He'll be raging with the amount of set piece goals that we've scored from as well.

When he was appointed i was pissed right off.  I thought he was just a cheap, yes-man appointment for The FA, maybe he was but he’s proved to be a very good one so far.  I expected him to be uninspiring and well out of his depth tactically but he looks pretty decent in both departments and seems to be a calming influence on the players.  He’s not hugely charismatic in interviews but he comes across as very intelligent and thoughtful, definitely someone you want to succeed!  Whatever happens after now i hope he gets a good few years to stamp his mark on the team as i like what i see so far.

Guest firetotheworks

I don't think you can use a tournament to judge a manager because everything can fall into place, as it has done for England and there are too many variables to make any call on tactical proficiency. I really like everything else that he's brought in though, especially the positivity and fun for playing football. The fact that he's the English antithesis of a PFM is really satisfying as well.