England player ratings Russia 2018

Guest Howaythetoon

Guest Howaythetoon

Pickford - 9 He has had an outstanding tournament for me and despite his inexperience, he seems to be a big game player when it comes to saves and moments. He doesn’t hide and while some of his clipped passing goes astray, he has to keep working at it because it helps us and I prefer that than a big hoof down field which just gives the ball back to the opposition. He could do with a dominant CB in terms of leadership in front of him though. No.1 without a doubt.

Trippier - 9 He has been our best player this tournament for me and a real revelation. It annoys me when he is up against his last man that he doesn’t try and take him on more, or when on space doesn’t just whip a cross in, but that’s being ultra critical. Great at set play and a superb full-back. One of the first name’s on the team sheet.

Walker - 6 I like him, but he isn’t a 3rd CB. Sloppy on the ball and gets out of position in that role too often. Seems a top bloke though. Doesn’t stay in the team for me.

Stones - 7 He gets that for scoring twice and generally looking decent back there. He worries me when up against a CF though and isn’t the strongest off the ball. Clearly a talented footballer. If he is to stay in the team because him and Macguire are similar, we need a dominant CB between them. Lascelles would be my man.

Macguire - 8 He like Trippier and Pickford have come of age and not only is he strong defensively in the air, he is a danger at set piece and comes out with the ball. He stays in the team for me.

Young - 5 I’m not sure why he was taken or started, maybe for his experience? hard working, but poor at both ends. He’s actually a good and confident crosser. His England time is up.

Lingard - 7 He was our best player in the group stage scoring a cracking goal and driving us forward. He’s a good player and has had a very decent tournament. We need more in there than what he’s capable of though. Keep for the squad, need to replace him as a starter though.

Henderson - 7 Again he was one of our better players in the group stage and you can see why he is in the team because he protects the back, gets up and down and keeps the ball ticking over, but creatively he is limited. If he is to stay in the team he needs someone more creative alongside him. Keep in the team, but only with someone creative alongside him.

Deli Ali - 5 He scored against Sweden, but he was very disappointing and nothing like the player he is for Spurs. Either he adapts to that role, move him up with Kane or replace him because it’s not working where he plays now and I don’t think he suits the role anyway so adapting just takes away from his game. He looks like he has played too. Duh footy in the last few years. Undecided.

Sterling - 5 He has t scored and missed a few chances, but his running and ability to drop deep and find space has been key to our game. I think pre tournament media shit has played on his mind, he played tense and seemed to try hard. He’s not a natural finisher, but can finish. I’m undecided on him as well.

Kane - 7 It looks like he will end the tournament top scorer which is an amazing achievement and as a striker that’s what it’s all about. He hasn’t been a dominant force though and hasn’t played anywhere near to his potential. That said the service has been poor. Keep? He is our only world-class player.

Rest

Only Loftus Cheek played more than a cameo and looks a real talent. If like to see him play in place of Hemderson because he can do what he can do, but also seems stronger on the ball and more skilful aroun and inside the box. I’d love NUFC to sign him.

Southgate - 8 Come of age himself and looks an international manager, no plan B and the subs were not always the best, but that will come. He has changed the way we play for the better, has the players working hard and as a team and with a great team spirit and humility. He needs to learn from mistakes and if he can tweak and change a few things, we can keep progressing.

Overall - 8 Exceeded my expectations, enjoy watching us now, like most of the players, see lots of good things and scope for the future and in Southgate  my just have the right person in charge while we go through this work in progress stage.

Looking at the rest of the pool of players I can’t help feel a fit and on form Wilshere and Ox or even Lallana alongside Henderson and with Deli Ali up alongside Kane and we would have been more creative in midfield so lots to ponder and work with.

Interesting thoughts as ever.

O0

Pickford agree entirely

Trippier ditto: really good WC for the lad and our stand out player imo.

Walker; fair assessment. Has so much but not in that position for me. Gets found out at times.

Stones; I maybe would stretch to an 8. Looking like he has the composure and class we have all thought for some time.

Macguire; utter revelation for me. No way did I think he could perform to this level. 8.5

Young; time for him to have had his swansong. Contributed but is not the future.

Lingard; god knows. frustrating player.

Henderson; Yeah fair. I'm not a huge fan but he is probably integral for the next phase of development.

Alli; another frustrating player.

Sterling; Offers much. delivers little. Contributes more than given credit for but if we are to improve he must as well or he's another one who will be in and around it.

Kane; not vintage by any standards. I think he is carrying a knock despite them saying otherwise.

Lots of others to come into the squad/team hopefully.

I thought Rashford was underused in this WC and Vardy wasn't used right and therefore looked out of his comfort zone/depth at times.

RLC looks to have something but needs to be coached and have consistent game time.

Southgate: I would go 7/8 as well. Made some errors but massively exceeded my expectations.

Guest Howaythetoon

Your comments on Sterling sum him up. He’s too good to just give up on though, again if he could finish he would be one of the best in the world.

The real disappointment for me has been Deli Ali, but that’s not his position or role and to me he looks shagged basically after playing so much football in the last few years.

I think the little injury Kane picked up at the end of the season for Spurs give him enough rest. He did look like he was struggling against Croatia and today.

He has been very good though and if we could just get the ball in and around him quicker with better balls, not just crosses, he will score lots and lots of goals.

Had we done that, we may have made it to the final and I guarantee he would have had a few more goals to add to his tally.

Going forward looking at the rest of the pool of players I’d take another look at Wilshere and the OX to go alongside Henderson and Lanana has the footwork, clever thinking and ball carrying skills as well as goal threat to be a good fit for this England.

Long-term, as much as I like Henderson and accept why he is in there, Loftus Cheek looks a much better all-rounder and surely there is a place in the team for him going forward?

Again I’d love him at Newcastle, him being coached by Rafa man...

Lots of talent that IF coached right and given time can massively improve the squad.

Barkley, Wilshere et al. far too talented to be 'given up' on.

Looking forward to seeing young Sessegnon.

Lets hope the other young talent form the u20 squad are given the chance and can develop as well: Woodman included.

Guest Howaythetoon

Lots of talent that IF coached right and given time can massively improve the squad.

Barkley, Wilshere et al. far too talented to be 'given up' on.

Looking forward to seeing young Sessegnon.

Lets hope the other young talent form the u20 squad are given the chance and can develop as well: Woodman included.

Aye. Not so sure on Barkley in this system mind. Bit of a headless chicken.

We don’t have to stick with this system though, I’d keep 3 at the back and wing backs but would honestly bring Lascelles in place of Walker and put him central to Stones and Macguire.

Going forward if have...

Pickford

Stones Lascelles Macguire

Trippier Henderson Loftus Cheek OX

Lallana Deli Ali

Kane

Lallana based on previous form and fitness? He’s done nothing for a year now.

As for ratings, agree with pretty much all of them, apart from dele should be a 3. He’s been useless, possibly because of his injury) but we’ve looked like a 10 man team every time he’s played.

Huge fan of Oxlaide-Chamberlain.

Have to agree re Lascelles, he seems to be the obvious candidate for right in the middle of a 3 CH system. Let's hope he keeps up the development with us and doesn't need to be at a 'bigger club' to get the recognition.

I would add Rashford into that for Ali.

Barkley can offer something different maybe. I still think the lad can have a huge impact on games if he can only gain some composure and calm the fuck down at times.

Also despite a poorish tournament I wouldn't write off Vardy. But we need to utilise him far more effectively. Ideally in combo with a Shelvy type.

Guest Howaythetoon

Lallana based on previous form and fitness? He’s done nothing for a year now.

As for ratings, agree with pretty much all of them, apart from dele should be a 3. He’s been useless, possibly because of his injury) but we’ve looked like a 10 man team every time he’s played.

I gave him a 5 for his goal, otherwise I’d agree. It was an important goal and in the second half against Sweden he played very well.

Lallana fit and on form would fit nicely in this team and bring a lot to it, even Wilshere, but he needs to cut out the chasing down of everything and tackling everything which shags him for a game and gets him injured, Barkley is the same.

It’s an English disease. That kind of mentality/part of his game for me prevented Gerrard from being truly world-class at this level, great in the PL, but not at a WC. Henderson has cut that out massively since joined Liverpool which is why he fits, he just isn’t creative enough.

Guest Howaythetoon

Have to agree re Lascelles, he seems to be the obvious candidate for right in the middle of a 3 CH system. Let's hope he keeps up the development with us and doesn't need to be at a 'bigger club' to get the recognition.

Barkley can offer something different maybe. I still think the lad can have a huge impact on games if he can only gain some composure and calm the fuck down at times.

Also despite a poorish tournament I wouldn't write off Vardy. But we need to utilise him far more effectively. Ideally in combo with a Shelvy type.

The OX when he moved from Arsenal seemed to look out of place at Liverpool. But once he got fit and got in the team he looked a different player.

I rate Rashford, criminally underused at Man Utd but as long as Kane is up front I don’t see a starting place for him. Wellbeck would give us more in that sense who I also rate, but just isn’t ever fit enough.

The OX when he moved from Arsenal seemed to look out of place at Liverpool. But once he got fit and got in the team he looked a different player.

I rate Rashford, criminally underused at Man Utd but as long as Kane is up front I don’t see a starting place for him. Wellbeck would give us more in that sense who I also rate, but just isn’t ever fit enough.

Rashford would work if we set up in a 4231 like Man U often do. Would allow Alli and Sterling in there best positions too. For how well we've done we can't overlook this system is not getting the best out of our attacking talent, even Kane has struggled to be much of a threat. 2nd lowest attempts on goal from open play in the whole tournament says it all.

Agree with most of that, HTT.

Walker at times showed his inexperience as a CB and isn't that comfortable on the ball. I'm not sure that Lascelles has made a strong enough case yet, and personally I'd have played Cahill, though I know he's not the future.

Sterling has pace all right, but that's not enough. He lacks composure and technique on the ball. I'd play Rashford, though I'd recognise that he's still on a learning curve.

And well though Trippier played, I think Alexander-Arnold is a major talent and will get ahead of him in time.

Southgate's persistence with Young at LB was the one decision that really had me scratching my head. He's not just right-footed, he's very right-footed and only seems to kick with the inside of his instep.

But we have good players who missed the tournament, so overall there's reasons to be cheerful.

Who could replace Walker? Might have to just hope he can learn the position.

Joe Gomez 100% - think had he been fit, he would have played in that role - he's literally the perfect fit - he's not a CB or a FB, sort of inbetween, which makes him perfect for the role

Do we have any Kante style players coming through?

Probably loads of Championship standard, but no one that will be anywhere near the world class calibre of Kanté. Absolutely love watching him play, for me he was more important than both Mahrez and Vardy in Leicester's PL win.

Guest firetotheworks

FWIW. Just off the top of my head so don't kick off or owt.

Pickford - 9

Walker - 7

Stones - 7.5

Maguire - 8

Trippier - 9

Henderson - 6.5

Lingard - 7

Alli - 5

Young - 6

Kane - 7.5

Sterling - 6.5

Loftus-Cheek - 7

Dier - 7 (a lot of that is his decent third place play off performance and that ballsy penalty after an awful performance against Colombia)

Rose - 6.5

Vardy - 5

Jones - 4.5

Rashford - 5.5