Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

He really has been outstanding pretty much every game he played, i really loved that Blackburn game as it was what started all of this, hope he can keep this up and he might just find himself in the full England Squad.

Too bad it's not a tournament summer - be lovely to get a "bolter into the England" squad story about him :thup:

There was one moment (after he'd been booked) where he showed real composure not to jump into a challenge after losing the ball. Funny enough I was never worried, just knew he'd be too clever for that.

Yep, I noticed that, fair play to the lad, showed a lot of maturity to not jump in.

He really has been outstanding pretty much every game he played, i really loved that Blackburn game as it was what started all of this, hope he can keep this up and he might just find himself in the full England Squad.

Too bad it's not a tournament summer - be lovely to get a "bolter into the England" squad story about him :thup:

U21 Championships this summer - he'll be brought through for that before stepping up.

Looks like he's been bossing premier league games for years! Class, composure and ability in absolute abundance paired with a great attitude and grounded mentality.

Took his goal really well, a very clever and subtle first touch to set it up perfectly for a crisp strike into the bottom corner.

It's easy to get carried away with young players coming through sometimes and get hopes up unrealistically high but it's difficult not to get excited by this lad, he doesn't only have the ability but he has the footballing nous and intelligence to go along with it, that's a rare quality in young footballers these days, plenty have ability, power, athleticism, pace etc but Longstaff reads the game extremely well and can therefore dictate and control play and contribute far more than most midfield players.

There was one moment (after he'd been booked) where he showed real composure not to jump into a challenge after losing the ball. Funny enough I was never worried, just knew he'd be too clever for that.

Thought exactly the same..he is cold as ice.

Seems to have a great temperament about him :thup:

Looks the real deal :smitten:

Gone from 5th choice to 1st choice in such a short space of time, the pairing with Hayden works so well. Made me go from hoping Shelvey gets fit quickly to thinking he has no place in this system unless he massively changes his game. We have an absolute gem on our hands, keep it up young man

Amazing how things progress, when I first came aware of him he never stood out for me and I don’t mean that in a derogatory way just that he was nothing spectacular. However the last few performances have been top drawer, his composure and presence in midfield have been a joy to watch at home and the hype is justified for me .

Talk of England is great for the lad and his boss seems intent on keeping him out the limelight, we have “stumbled “ on a terrific talent in the modern game of playing......good luck to the lad.

He will be worth a few quid now  :naughty:

He doing great. He was understandably a little reserved in the first game or two, but now he's hitting so many confident forward passes. He also repeatedly wins the ball back high up the pitch. He's playing like he's been in the first team for years, not ten games.

Just a little theory, but I reckon our season turned when Shelvey went off injured in that Watford home game. Ki came on and started playing 10 yards further forward than Shelvey had been. Unlike Shelvey, this allowed Ki to hit shorter passes to feet. Since then, we've been playing much better football, even when Ki went off to the Asian Cup. Lejeune has also come back and we now have Lejeune and Schar serving as deep-lying distributors, the main responsibility that had fallen on Shelvey. This means the role of our center mids has changed and it is now one that Longstaff and Hayden have taken to with relish. Given the holistic approach Rafa takes, I think it is fair to assume that our midfield is now getting to do what Rafa wanted it to do all along. The plan was never to have a midfielder take it off Cieran Clark or Lascelles and ping it somewhere with no-one to collect a second ball or offer an option to a lone forward with the ball.

His style reminds me a little of Ki, good touch and moves the ball so well.

On level 7 I sometimes mix him an Lejune up due to the boots and their silky touches/passing.

i actually thought we could have done with Ki in at times yesterday (not instead of longstaff mind) as their midfield did a decent job of pressuring ours when the ball went into them often forcing them to pass back to schar/lejuene or horizontally to the wingbacks...ki has a very useful knack of being able to turn out of pressure and into space that would have opened the game up a bit more for us i feel

i mean you can't complain, just something i noticed