Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

3 hours ago, GWN said:

Hate to dig folk out but I watched this lad closely yesterday.

Utter dog shite , hardly wanted to tackle , happy to run up to players and then do nothing . 

Offered zero , as many did , however Sean caught my eye all game for his pointless efforts . Needs to be nowhere near the squad unless the “old “ Sean comes back. This version is horrific.

Watched the game also and have a different view; most, but not all, of his "presses" are efforts to cut out the passing options of the attacker, doing this you limit their possibilities of getting closer to a clear pass/shot. Evrything does not depend on an actual tackle being made.

He didnt play well but he wasnt that bad either.

We deffo played tighter (less distance) between defence, midfield and attack but this also had the disadvantage of meaning we were tucked into the final third gor the whole game.

The first james goal was a classic stretch of the defence through very clever switching of play, added to the fact that nobody really got close enough to him either (lack of fitness as whole team puffing at 60 mins).

We actually looked like we might frustrate them with the tacktics. Rafa played this way but much better organised and with clear lines out of defense when in possession.

We had no other option yesterday but to play this way... or open up and risk a 9 goal ondlaught.

7 minutes ago, buzza said:

Watched the game also and have a different view; most, but not all, of his "presses" are efforts to cut out the passing options of the attacker, doing this you limit their possibilities of getting closer to a clear pass/shot. Evrything does not depend on an actual tackle being made.

He didnt play well but he wasnt that bad either.

We deffo played tighter (less distance) between defence, midfield and attack but this also had the disadvantage of meaning we were tucked into the final third gor the whole game.

The first james goal was a classic stretch of the defence through very clever switching of play, added to the fact that nobody really got close enough to him either (lack of fitness as whole team puffing at 60 mins).

We actually looked like we might frustrate them with the tacktics. Rafa played this way but much better organised and with clear lines out of defense when in possession.

We had no other option yesterday but to play this way... or open up and risk a 9 goal ondlaught.

I did say I only focused on Sean as he became noticeable at being shittier than the rest of our midfield .

This running around closing lines for passing clearly didn’t work as Chelsea took the piss  all match , the ONE time we pressed them in the first half we caused them to put it out for a throw in and the crowd got behind them .

WE DID IT ONCE FFS 🤦‍♂️ 

Edited by GWN

He's decline under Bruce has been incredible, he's almost like another player than the one we saw emerge under Rafa, when he first came out he was doing everything from defending and intercepting to forward passes and being a goal threat, now he offers nothing in both attack and defense, and  he's incredibly slow in shifting the ball.

6 minutes ago, GWN said:

I did say I only focused on Sean as he became noticeable at being shittier than the rest of our midfield .

This running around closing lines for passing clearly didn’t work as Chelsea took the piss  all match , the ONE time we pressed them in the first half we caused them to put it out for a throw in and the crowd got behind them .

WE DID IT ONCE FFS 🤦‍♂️ 

I think we all get too distracted by the takeover. The reality is that we have a team of about 90% championship players and 10% prem players, we expect them to stack up against the top team in the prem. And to boot they have lacked any decent strategy/coaching for 2.5 years. Chelsea are playing champions league football and we are playing champions(hip)...

I didnt expect anything less than a loss yesterday.

The players actually surprised me by reaching 70 mins before caving in.

10 minutes ago, buzza said:

I think we all get too distracted by the takeover. The reality is that we have a team of about 90% championship players and 10% prem players, we expect them to stack up against the top team in the prem. And to boot they have lacked any decent strategy/coaching for 2.5 years. Chelsea are playing champions league football and we are playing champions(hip)...

Our strongest team on paper is as good, if not better than Brighton's and look at where they are in the league.

A decent manager could get our strongest 11 playing well. Rafa did with a worse team.

Just now, PeepShow4life said:

Our strongest team on paper is as good, if not better than Brighton's and look at where they are in the league.

A decent manager could get our strongest 11 playing well. Rafa did with a worse team.

I would say the following players are decent prem quality:

Wilson

ASM (but a defensive liability)

Almiron

Dubs

All of the others are only decent in about 50% of their games and the rest are championship at best...

We are a relegation candidate that only a superior manager can keep up. i.e. Rafa or similar.

JEvery year our rivals improved where our lack of or stupid investment has taken us backwards from where we were with Rafa at the helm.

16 minutes ago, buzza said:

Our “best “ 11 I think most would agree are lower to mid table . I don’t accept we should go out and “expect” defeat , if you give it a press and a go you just might win , yes you will probably get best or draw but playing like that against Chelsea who were themselves injury hit meant with NO attacking intent we were only going to have one result as we can’t defend for toffee and only very good fortune didn’t have us behind in the first half .

Im pissed off mate but shouldn’t be , we surrendered from the kick off, it’s just hard to take .

1 minute ago, GWN said:

Our “best “ 11 I think most would agree are lower to mid table . I don’t accept we should go out and “expect” defeat , if you give it a press and a go you just might win , yes you will probably get best or draw but playing like that against Chelsea who were themselves injury hit meant with NO attacking intent we were only going to have one result as we can’t defend for toffee and only very good fortune didn’t have us behind in the first half .

Im pissed off mate but shouldn’t be , we surrendered from the kick off, it’s just hard to take .

I honsetly agree, but i just think if we tried to attack we would have been on the end of a bigger thrashing.

Our team cant string three passes together at the moment for whatever reason, only tactics that spring up are get it forward (wings or calum) asap and hope for the best...

Sad but true.

That’s my biggest frustration, the fact that we can’t seem to pass the football at all. It’s like the players see the ball as a grenade and want rid of it the second they get it. As much as I hate Shelvey, I’d actually think he would help with at least trying to pass the ball in some way

• 3 weeks later...

was desperate for the longstaff brothers to do well.

but have finally come to the realisation that neither are premier league players.

so slow and ponderous.

sean was literally the worst person to put on chasing a game.

Wasted substitution..absolute shit from him. Gave the ball away at least 3 times. There was even one time he just let the Brentford scorer through in goal which Darlow had to push away.

If not Almiron, Hayden would have been a better choice.

2 hours ago, Tsunami said:

Aye, abomination of a display, shocker. Come January, assuming we get someone in I’d seriously consider sending him out on loan. Something needs to happen with him otherwise he’s heading down the leagues for good.

He is regardless, championship plodder at best.

He’s just regressed massively, a loan out of here in January is much needed as he needs to rediscover whatever it is he likes about being a footballer.

The pressure of having to play at a certain level is obviously causing him massive problems.

Not everyone will hit the ground running under Howe, plus he came on as sub, sometimes it’s hard to get up with the flow, feel we are all being a bit harsh on a lad who’s had it coached out of him the last couple of years, will be absolutely devoid of confidence no doubt.