Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Think I’d put Bruce behind Kinnear, Carver, and Pardew (in terms of their objectionable nature/embarrassment that them being in charge) in terms of my own least liked (relatively recent) list. Maybe Sounness at no.5 and   Allardyce coming in strongly at no.6.  I know there are past managers who probably trump them (… in their Trumpishness!),  for example Gordon Lee (who had a great song) got lots of abuse. Actually, and probably equally unpopular, I also didn’t like Dalgleish. Felt he ruined our playing style and brought in a load of past their best buddies. 

If we just forget the footballing aspect (their job) and concentrate on their personalities and how they (mis) treated us as fans, My own dislike list would be:

Bruce

Pardew (the king)

kinnear

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, La Parka said:

He was so poor last night. Off the pace, immobile, poor decisions... I don't think we'll ever have that purple patch again.

I thought he was decent - he made a few excellent tackles late in the game.

It was noticible though that he has zero pace.

He had Murphy, Wood and Ritchie in front of him. 2/3 of that attacking line up is enough to excuse ASM being shite for 17 consecutive games. 

He'll be much better with better players around him.

Edited by Happinesstan

12 minutes ago, MrRaspberryJam said:

And neither were anywhere near as bad as Murphy. 

Forgot he played.

13 minutes ago, Scoot said:

The likes of Longstaff, Richie, Murphy, Dummett, Lascelles will hopefully be the next lot of players out the door over the next year. 

Based on yesterday's performance - wor Jamaal doesn't deserve to be mentioned in that company. I don't think any of the others would be standout players in the Championship.

32 minutes ago, Smal said:

I’d be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given the front three we had ahead of him. Willock didn’t play well at that level either.

I had to Google the lineup to rate Willock, totally forgot he was even playing :lol: Murphy was worse tbf. 

36 minutes ago, Smal said:

I’d be willing to give him the benefit of the doubt given the front three we had ahead of him. Willock didn’t play well at that level either.

Willock looked a country mile better IMO.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

Willock looked a country mile better IMO.

I don't think you can fairly assess what anybody is likely to contribute, from last nights game. They put 5 at the back and kicked shit out of us. We didn't get involved and on the game. Time to move on. 

That said, I won't be confident f we start that team against Palace, but the fact we're at home will add a little balance.

Just now, Happinesstan said:

I don't think you can fairly assess what anybody is likely to contribute, from last nights game. They put 5 at the back and kicked shit out of us. We didn't get involved and on the game. Time to move on. 

That said, I won't be confident f we start that team against Palace, but the fact we're at home will add a little balance.

I was judging purely on the players I saw who managed to pick their way through the Tranmere charge and find the odd pass. Willock wasn't perfect by any means, but he looked less panicked than some, including Longstaff.

He was quality at pressing last season.  After that, I'm scratching my head on what his strengths are? 

I really don't rate him and barely think he's adequate as back up.  His passing is slow and often misplaced, his touch is pretty crap and I wouldn't trust him to play the deeper role in the 3 or provide much creativity going the other way.  He just seems like another generic British centre mid, who doesn't really have any stand out qualities. 

There were quite a few poor performances last night.  But in the same midfield, Willock, and Anderson in particular were streets ahead of him. 

EDIT - just as a caveat.  I thought he looked woeful when he came on against Man City and also poor in the Arsenal game at the end of last season.  But both of those games, the analysis nerds on Twitter praised his performances.  So what do I know!  

Edited by Lush Vlad

Just now, Lush Vlad said:

He was quality at pressing last season.  After that, I'm scratching my head on what his strengths are? 

I really don't rate him and barely think he's adequate as back up.  His passing is slow and often misplaced, his touch is pretty crap and I wouldn't trust him to play the deeper role in the 3 or provide much creativity going the other way.  He just seems like another generic British centre mid, who doesn't really have any stand out qualities. 

There were quite a few poor performances last night.  But in the same midfield, Willock, and Anderson in particular were streets ahead of him. 

Honestly that's how I saw it as well, said as much in the match thread. It was noticeable that when we had our muck and nettles second string out, they got flustered by a bit of pressure pretty easily.

2 minutes ago, TRon said:

I was judging purely on the players I saw who managed to pick their way through the Tranmere charge and find the odd pass. Willock wasn't perfect by any means, but he looked less panicked than some, including Longstaff.

TBF my viewing was interrupted by prolific beavers and I missed the second half entirely. But he looked composed in the first half. Played some nice looking balls that were cut out by the defence, which left me questioning the runs. I'm not saying he's the next Bruno, but I'm going to give him the same leeway that ASM got.

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Willock has played every game, he should be counties ahead of him.

Lots of people still hoping he comes good, but Anderson is raw and took his chance. Trippier comes on as a right-back and dictated the entire team around him. If you can't put a shift in as a CM against a bottom L2 team when are you going to show it?

He's such a weird player to assess. Sometimes looks alright, sometimes looks absolutely terrible even against really poor opposition. 

Slower games are better for him, so many of his mistakes are due to not being athletic or agile enough to get his body in the right position at the right time. 

On some of the stats charts for pressing etc, he comes out really high, which based on watching him is very hard to understand. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo