Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Said in the matched thread; he was involved in both some good and some bad. He certainly doesn't hide. If he could swing the positive moments from negative then he'd be worth keeping. Was a very 50-50 game, but you'll always remember the bad over the good.

On the other hand, Anderson, all i've seen is positive. Looks far more dynamic and looks like he could control games.

22 minutes ago, Newcastle Fan said:

He's a good lad and a decent personality; but with all the quality he has around him in recent times he really needs to step up, so slow and his passing is all over the place.

It's between him and Willock as to why we struggled to break them down. And I think it swings against Willock. Willock has played alongside Bruno and Joelinton so far, and failed to impress. I think Longstaff does better today with Bruno in the team.

15 minutes ago, Holloway said:

Eddie was saying he had high hopes for Sean this season, I'm a bit puzzled by that given his glaring limitations

Probably trying to instill some confidence in the lad by showing some faith in him, he will know he’s limited 

Really bad today. So many misplaced passes and incredibly slow in moving the ball about. Disappointing because he'd done well in pre season but shows how we desperately need back up in CM with Shelvey out.

He never seems fit enough, quick enough or strong enough for box to box. As a defensive midfielder he  was woeful today and poor against Tranmere, I don't know who has less confidence in his first touch me or him and how many times was his passing found wanting ?

I really feared for the result when the team news came out. But he did better than I expected, still not up to standard but we got away with it today.

You can’t really expect anything from him other than to close players down when we don’t have the ball. That’s all he offers, sadly.

Whether he has the pace to be part of our long-term development is a moot point, but he was decent enough today in that anchor position. A lot of the comments on here and in the match thread seem to be based on his past performances, or only focusing on his mistakes, rather than his positive contributions. He took responsibility and did not hide.

Do the likes of Bruno or Joelinton never lose the ball? I'm not sure what some of you are expecting.

One thing he does need to work on is his communication. There were a couple of times when he and a team mate seemed to get in each other's way. He seems a quiet, modest lad and he needs to assert himself more.

20 minutes ago, The Butcher said:

He's never a sitting DM. Box to box or not at all. 

This. I'd play him in the number 8 slot ahead of Willock all day every day.

He's just having to do a job in that deeper slot because Shelvey is out, unfortunately.

Not quite up to it as a single pivot, especially when one of the midfield three hides all game.

Guest HTT II

I thought defensively he was excellent today and he did try and make some more positive forward passes, the movement up top was tragic at times though, ASM and Miggy hugging the touchline constantly especially the first half and Wood looking gormless up top. He’s bang average though, we need to move him on when we can. He’s not of this level.