Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

2 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

Just want to point out that was a beautiful through ball for Willock's goal as well. Lots of people saying this guy can't pass, and he's not as accurate as some maybe but he also has a couple gorgeous assists already this season.

Was a great pass, but it wasnt made by Longstaff

1 hour ago, Miercoles said:

Just want to point out that was a beautiful through ball for Willock's goal as well. Lots of people saying this guy can't pass, and he's not as accurate as some maybe but he also has a couple gorgeous assists already this season.

I actually think if he gets a bit of time and space he can deliver really nice passes, he’s got good vision and chips the ball well. I’m not as convinced by his long range passing and when he’s under a lot of pressure but it’s really good to see him playing better and better every week. His effort is exceptional and he’s proven he can be a part of this squad for a long time to come 

His biggest failing is how much time he needs on the ball in critical positions of the pitch; he can both put us in the shit and short of numbers if he gets caught by an opposition press, and also miss opportunities at the attacking end. He does seem to be doing it less often in recent games though, however I'm still not sure he's mentally quick enough to eradicate it completely and feel he'll cost us over the longer run.

If he can overcome it though then he'll probably be on the journey with us for a fair bit longer than you'd expect.

Goes without saying that his work rate and discipline with our press is invaluable right now, though.

I thought he was excellent again today, our best player in the first half and although he faded a little second half, other stepped up to the mark by then.

Whatever people think about him he's an important part of what is an incredibly well functioning side at the minute. Long may he continue to play this well.

Superhuman effort from this lad. Feel like his quality can be variable but he's so reliable and the recovery runs he offers are so valuable. One of the tackles he made near the East Stand second half during a Chelsea counter was outstanding.

I really didn't think he had a future here but you have to admit he's been an integral part of the team during this run. 

His worth ethic and intelligent movement are just let down slightly by his speed of decision making and technique. 

But he still has plenty of years to improve and I get the impression will be happy to be a squad player still as we progress. 

But it's hard to displace him from the first 11 at the moment as it may unbalance something. You could probably say the same for almost all the lads currently in the first 11.

I was also amongst those that thought he wasn't good enough to be starting games for us, especially for where we wanted to be (competing for European places) but happy to admit I was wrong. Last season he was poor so thought Howe had done all he could with him.

I still feel he's a fraction too slow at times when it comes to passing, the pass to Trippier when he was offside for example (wasn't actually offside but pass should have been made earlier) and the one where he gave a free kick away by handling it.

However he's bloody everywhere and doesn't stop running, which is so crucial to how we play. 

I also find it interesting how he's changed, that small stint under Rafa he would sit deep and pass the ball about quite tidily whereas now he's a lot more all action though the passing has dropped off a touch. Overall he's playing better now than he did under Rafa imo.