Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Essentially need to sign a box to box runner with better technical ability and we’ve got the upgrade or competition for him. As I’ve said before in a perfect world, it’s either a Maddison type or Joelinton finds his long term place there with Willock on the left side of the 3 and we sign a proper wide forward to play left side. 

Edited by Kanji

Not gonna be after him but i see someone like Seko Fofana quite perfect as a replacement, especially if we can offer creativity from wide too. Full of energy and great ball carrying ability. Technical ability but also offers end product combined with pace and physicality. Let Bruno be the one dictating play and tempo. 

1 hour ago, Adam said:

Question on how we upgrade him, who could we buy that has the same defensive work rate as him? Hoping he scores against Fulham, though last night his shots later on were much better. 

Ibrahim Sangaré - Psv

Kone - Muchengladbach 

Rice - West Ham

Fofana - Monaco

Varela - Boca Juniors

Ricci - Torino 

Onana - Everton 

Lavia - Southampton 

Anguissa - Napoli 

3 hours ago, Slim said:

Longstaff looked he was going to cry in that first half tbh

he's a massive fan, desperate to do well.

and he probably knows the criticism online that comes his way every time he misses a chance or he plays below par.

i'd be the same.

go easy on him.

Edited by huss9

2 minutes ago, Wild Geese said:

Longy is turning into good player, he's getting better and better, his defensive covering and his attacking support play, has really turned him int a box-to-box mid-field player.

I agree that he’s becoming a box-to-box player, and I think he has good vision and has shown some nice quality at times with his passing in forward positions. However, he can only ever truly be considered box-to-box if he sorts out his shooting 

Longstaff is the best product from our academy in arguably over a decade. He's obviously a massive fan and comes from a Newcastle mad family. He gets a pass from me on making the odd blunder just for that. But when you add in the fact he works harder in that mid 3 than anyone else, covers such a huge amount of grass, and seemingly has an immaculate attitude, I really think he deserves his place in the team currently and some of the criticism is way over the top. He's only 25 and working under a good coach now, he still has head room. Also, it's documented that online criticism and comments in the media caused him to have a bit of a personal crisis recently. We should back him and hope he continues to grow.

I think the issue is, modern footballers need to flexible and they need to be able to score if placed in what for some is an unfortunate position, especially in our case where we don't seem to be playing with the old No9 type players who cause havoc for opposition simply by being in the box if you get what I mean

I think he does do a lot of things that are poor.

His good points are hard to see in a way - like, I accept that he does a lot of work and I think the stats bear it out, but I would definitely notice his mistakes more than his good stuff when I actually watch a game. 

He has missed some chances but I don't see that as the main reason he isn't good enough. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

9 hours ago, ExiledGeordie said:

A player like Tielemans would slot in perfectly into our midfield. Would take us up another level. 

Absolutely honking last night and most of this season. Clearly carrying too much weight and has an attitude. A definite no from me.

1 minute ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

I think he does do a lot of things that are poor.

His good points are hard to see in a way - like, I accept that he does a lot of work and I think the stats bear it out, but I would definitely notice his mistakes more than his good stuff when I actually watch a game. 

He has missed some chances but I don't see that as the main reason he isn't good enough. 

How are his good points hard to see? Finishing apart, was excellent last night.

19 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Our fanbase always needs a whipping boy, unfortunately.

Wouldn’t exactly call Longstaff a whipping boy, I think he has some people who back him more than the average player because he’s local, a minority who complain more because he’s local and a lot who just respond to his performances based on the good and bad. Obviously, it’s far more obvious when something goes wrong like a skied shot than when he tracks back and kills an attack just past the halfway line. Everyone knows what he’s good at and poor at, if he improves the areas he’s poorer at (holding onto the ball too long, missing shots) then he is a massive asset. If he doesn’t then it’s hard to see him being more than a squad player in future seasons 

1 minute ago, gbandit said:

Wouldn’t exactly call Longstaff a whipping boy, I think he has some people who back him more than the average player because he’s local, a minority who complain more because he’s local and a lot who just respond to his performances based on the good and bad. Obviously, it’s far more obvious when something goes wrong like a skied shot than when he tracks back and kills an attack just past the halfway line. Everyone knows what he’s good at and poor at, if he improves the areas he’s poorer at (holding onto the ball too long, missing shots) then he is a massive asset. If he doesn’t then it’s hard to see him being more than a squad player in future seasons 

i would.

he's had some real stick on here.

even BDB recently was being called our weak link and needed displacing.

Edited by huss9

2 hours ago, JonBez comesock said:

Ibrahim Sangaré - Psv

Kone - Muchengladbach 

Rice - West Ham

Fofana - Monaco

Varela - Boca Juniors

Ricci - Torino 

Onana - Everton 

Lavia - Southampton 

Anguissa - Napoli 

How many of these have you seen play in any depth?

Declan Rice doesn't play that 8 position for West Ham but would be great at 6.

Fofana is like an inferior Rice from what i've seen from him so far at Everton.

Anguissa looked like he had loads of ability to me at Fulham and has been great whenever I've seen him play for Napoli. Looked technical, strong, tall, dribbled/carried the ball well **lazy stereotype comparison alert** - he was giving Dembele even Pogba vibes.. 

Not seen much of the rest.

3 minutes ago, huss9 said:

i would.

He was given a lot of stick when his performances dropped under Bruce, granted. I think people have backed him a lot this season, especially over the last ten games. People are seeing more and more what he offers but there are still two major areas where he can focus on improving his game. Hopefully he can do it 

6 minutes ago, magorific said:

I just mean in general, not necessarily last night. The good stuff is under the radar, the mistakes stand out. 

I have some confirmation bias because I think he's one of our worst players. But he obviously works hard, cares and has coaches around him. Never say never, I just think ultimately the most likely thing is that we sign someone and he returns to the bench. 

2 minutes ago, huss9 said:

i would.

I do think BDB is the weakest defensive link. But he has unique strengths too. I think Schar is the "easiest" to replace.

3 minutes ago, TotalWar said:

I think that Jordon Henderson is the player that Longstaff can look at at take inspiration from. Ive long thought that Henderson isnt the best technically, he seems to me to have always had a tendency to misplace a key pass, blaze a chance over, get the ball caught between his feet, be slightly indecisive etc, just like Longy. Henderson has though overcome all these things, or at least reduced their affect, and has for years been a crucial element in an excellent team. If Longy could do the same through shear hard graft on the training pitch, then he could have as good a career.

Jordan Henderson was quick though. If Longstaff was exactly the same but half a yard faster like a prime Henderson, he'd be a great player imo.

6 minutes ago, magorific said:

His standout attributes is stamina, something that becomes apparent over a long period of time. Bruno can play delightful balls and carry the ball. Joelinton is strong and quick on and off the ball. Willock has a lovely turn of pace. Shelvey can play a great long ball.

I like Longstaff but he’s limited technically and slow on the turn and often needs quite a bit of time on the ball. I think Bruno will hit his true heights once he has another top class CM playing with him. Credit to Longstaff and his attitude, I just don’t see him being a regular starter for us after this or the next summer window. Great to have around and in the squad.