Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

1 minute ago, greydos said:

All these people saying he won’t be here when we’re top 4 are so forgetful. Serial title-winning Manure had no-skill grafters like John O’Shea, Wes Brown and Phil Neville regularly contributing amongst the stardust players. As far as I can see there’s still room in football for dedicated grafters with narrow focus, like Fred at Manure now. Longstaff’s here for the next 5 years at least in my book

don’t see him leaving ever. As long as he has engine he’s a useful player who can play many roles 

17 minutes ago, David Edgar said:

Probably a bit more confident, maybe a bit to do with Fulham not pressing as well as other teams (like Leeds did).

You can't fault his effort and he is fantastic off the ball.  But I'd be amazed if he is still about if we become a top 4 staple.  Unless there is major, sustained improvement.

Even when we’re regularly doing the quadruple, I see no reason he can’t be around the squad. Local boy, hard working grafter type. Basically in the role Matt Ritchie currently holds. But slightly more useful. 

Never had a problem with (above) average squad players being available to come in and put a proper shift in. 

Yes, he might be no Bruno or Big Joe, but he's committed to the cause.

If we're going to compete on 3 or 4 fronts in the next 5 years, we're going to need a deep squad. He's also part of our homegrown quota.

My issue is more with players like Dummett who aren't even available when required.

Edited by BlazeT44

10 minutes ago, Kanji said:

He gets more stick than anyone in our team. One missed pass and it’s remembered in full detail on here. 

Yeah, this is definitely the case.  

He's not a favoured player, so gets harsher treatment.  The inverse happens for the favourites.

Yeah, I've gone too far saying he won't be around.  Would probably still be here in the squad for all the reasons people have said.

Dunno if he is remotely close in ability to Butt at Manchester United though. JOS is perhaps a better example, but I almost feel like it is easier to hide a poorer footballer at the back.  Longstaff has a harder task to stick about, basically.

Edited by David Edgar

41 minutes ago, Smal said:

I thought during the game that he was exceptional but I’m shocked at the data. He’s never been as good with his passing as he was today.

image.thumb.png.9b6df3aea47f7d878cdab0cf72bf2f31.png

image.thumb.png.c102b0422a3b0db4121b24325c328164.png

I'm not in the least bit surprised by that data. That was the best performance I've seen from him, particularly in the first half. He passed the ball quickly, and with positive intent. It's really great to see this previously hesitant young player put in such a confident, all-round performance. 

Sorry, but so many on here are talking about the performance that they were expecting to see, not the one that he actually delivered today. I think we're going to be without Bruno for a few games, but this lad is ready to step up.

Was a lot better second half when he played a bit deeper. It also helped the team seems bit more fluid, when he got a pass he was able to release or play a 1-2 to get things going. Hoping he finds his shooting boots soon. 

2 hours ago, joeyt said:

Shame his shooting has turned dreadful

Tbf, he might just be going through a bad spell. Eddie will be happy that he's still getting in positions to score. Not beyond imagination that he could score two or three important goals in the coming months.

Same comment as always. Decent player for the most part, on and off the ball, across 70-80 yards or so. Just seems to go to shit whenever he gets near the box.

Snatching at chances, wanting too long to make a decision, not on his toes when the ball comes his way etc. 

Think he’s going to be playing deeper for a while. Hoping it might suit him. As he was better sitting in today, I thought. 

3 minutes ago, Lush Vlad said:

Same comment as always. Decent player for the most part, on and off the ball, across 70-80 yards or so. Just seems to go to shit whenever he gets near the box.

Snatching at chances, wanting too long to make a decision, not on his toes when the ball comes his way etc. 

Think he’s going to be playing deeper for a while. Hoping it might suit him. As he was better sitting in today, I thought. 

Good point. Probably the first sensible thing you've said all day. 

1 hour ago, Cronky said:

I'm not in the least bit surprised by that data. That was the best performance I've seen from him, particularly in the first half. He passed the ball quickly, and with positive intent. It's really great to see this previously hesitant young player put in such a confident, all-round performance. 

Sorry, but so many on here are talking about the performance that they were expecting to see, not the one that he actually delivered today. I think we're going to be without Bruno for a few games, but this lad is ready to step up.

Bout time this was highlighted. I've said my thoughts in the other thread.

Do I think he'll start regularly in 2 seasons time - no.

Is he good enough to be a squad player and play when needed - yes.

if he a top 4 PL player? Well he currently is.

He get's so much shit, from so called fans, he's played a critical part getting us to 3rd in the league and has also protected the best back 4 in Europe through selfless work.

He could do with speeding up his footwork a little and learn how to hit the target more consistently, otherwise he's doing great - give the lad a break!

There’s a reason Eddie Howe has him as one of the first names on the team sheet. He’s a work horse and he’s regaining his confidence by the week, a couple of goals will do wonders for him.

He’s one of those players who’s easy to dismiss as someone who’s easily replaceable/upgradable, but that work rate would be missed in any team.

Thought he stepped up massively in the second half as the 6 in place of Bruno and then got even better in the double pivot, when he had an awful lot to do.

His goals will come back. His shooting was always a strength when he was coming through and out on loan, that just doesn’t disappear. Head’s just totally gone at the minute, though.

I am so pleased for Sean that Shearer highlighted his performance today, and in particular the way he praised his passing. This lad is not just a workhorse who covers the ground. 

I looked at the player ratings after the game on the BBC website, and he'd been voted our worst player, by some distance. That is just plain daft. It worried me that a young player who has found his form might see something like that and get discouraged. Anyway, I'm sure he'll have got a real boost from Al's comments.

Think that’s laying it on a big thick. A lot of fans are praising him and seeing what he brings to the team. He’s a clever player, great movement, amazing work rate, great defensive contribution too. He’s close to being the key to our success if he can contribute more balls in like the cross today or if he can start getting shots on target more 

What would Shearer and Howe know eh...local lad who loves the club get's shit weekly shocker. Just replace Longstaff for Burn and theres a theme.

Not exactly what some folk expect or want. One of the best defences in the world and a top 3 performing Midfield. Both need replacing asap! Mental!