Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

8 minutes ago, gbandit said:

Think that’s laying it on a big thick. A lot of fans are praising him and seeing what he brings to the team. He’s a clever player, great movement, amazing work rate, great defensive contribution too. He’s close to being the key to our success if he can contribute more balls in like the cross today or if he can start getting shots on target more 

Not at all. He could be better,  if he was, we'd arguably be top of the league. Fine margins and all that.

His work rate allows the rest of the team to do what they do best. Sick of hearing the over-zealous groans of a misplaced pass in the final third or a wrong footed shot go over from 25 yards. People need to cut the lad some slack. "A lot of fan's praising him" (if that is even true) is a reaction to a lot of fans giving him unjust stick.

6 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

What would Shearer and Howe know eh...local lad who loves the club get's shit weekly shocker. Just replace Longstaff for Burn and theres a theme.

Not exactly what some folk expect or want. One of the best defences in the world and a top 3 performing Midfield. Both need replacing asap! Mental!

He just showed him closing a few players down tbh, the most basic thing a CM should be doin, hardly ground breaking insight.

Shearer that is.

Edited by biggmarket

7 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Played a bit also in his time but aye! :)

Howe picks him every week, I trust his judgement when it comes to defining a PL player.

Loads of ex players talk absolute shite about football.

Shearer is an awful pundit and went right down in my estimation when he thanked Steve Bruce for his hard work at NUFC, taking the absolute piss out of the fans.

Training about twice a week, some hard work that.

Edited by biggmarket

Shame for him that he basically missed two key years of his professional development when Benitez left.

Both Rafa and Howe have been able to get some really solid football out of him, had he not had cabbagehead in charge for two years he might have been able to develop his game on the ball a bit more.

Think he'll be a valuable squad member for years to come.

2 minutes ago, biggmarket said:

Shearer is an awful pundit and went right down in my estimation when he thanked Steve Bruce for his hard work at NUFC, taking the absolute piss out of the fans.

Agree on the commentator comment, hence the smiley.

I like to think Shearer might know a bit about playing football, maybe he's shit as well? Maybe all local lads cant cut it. Need more exotic surnames?

The joys of a team or squad is that some players do the donkey work, some do the exotic stuff and some get's bums off seats.  But like I said, I'm not gonna knock a player that Howe has picked in all (I think) games! and we are third in the league and in a semi final a season after avoiding relegation - so many have short memories and want the world on a stick!

Without Longstaff we'd not be 3rd, he's played a huge part, like that or not.

And again, I do think he will and should be eventually replaced in the starting 11 in the future, but the shit he gets it beyond a joke!

10 minutes ago, biggmarket said:

Shearer backed a pal in Bruce but generally his punditry is right 

3 minutes ago, Shak said:

Shame for him that he basically missed two key years of his professional development when Benitez left.

Both Rafa and Howe have been able to get some really solid football out of him, had he not had cabbagehead in charge for two years he might have been able to develop his game on the ball a bit more.

Think he'll be a valuable squad member for years to come.

:thup:

3 minutes ago, Oregon_Geordie said:

Agree on the commentator comment, hence the smiley.

I like to think Shearer might know a bit about playing football, maybe he's shit as well? Maybe all local lads cant cut it. Need more exotic surnames?

The joys of a team or squad is that some players do the donkey work, some do the exotic stuff and some get's bums off seats.  But like I said, I'm not gonna knock a player that Howe has picked in all (I think) games! and we are third in the league and in a semi final a season after avoiding relegation - so many have short memories and want the world on a stick!

Without Longstaff we'd not be 3rd, he's played a huge part, like that or not.

And again, I do think he will and should be eventually replaced in the starting 11 in the future, but the shit he gets it beyond a joke!

:thup:

3 minutes ago, Heron said:

Shearer backed a pal in Bruce but generally his punditry is right 

Don't give a fuck, Steve Bruce took the piss out of the fans, club and city and so did Shearer by saying thanks for your hard work.

3 minutes ago, biggmarket said:

Don't give a fuck, Steve Bruce took the piss out of the fans, club and city and so did Shearer by saying thanks for your hard work.

Fair. Shearer is also our top goalscorer and my idol so I won't accept your absolutely Fair rationale. You prick. :lol:

Edited by Heron

Think it's a shame if he needs to play that Bruno role now for an extended period of time. I think it's clearly he has been far more suited further forward as a pressing machine. So we lose that and also he's not as effective in that 6 role as seen when he's played there in cup games etc. 

Hope Bruno isn't out long and/or we get a dedicated DM signed. 

Think Longstaff is an integral cog in the midfield this year, even if his shooting has been erratic to say the least lately.

It doesn't undermine the good things he has brought to the team.

Longstaff complies with 90% of the needs of a holding midfielder who´s main facet is to break up play and hinder opposing teams attacking moves.

If we also want a midfielder who can pass sublimely and has amazing first touch this is where his missing ten percent is...

For me, he give 110% every single game, this more or less makes up for the missing "baller" attributes that I often scream at him about. After the game I can always say that he was decent, during the game we all seem to pick up on that small 10% of faults rather than the 90% of great play...

We (I) are a fickle bunch!

• 2 weeks later...
Just now, joeyt said:

Think he's a weak link when we're attacking but he does graft his bollocks off every game

He definitely is sadly. Perhaps he can improve but because his finishing has been so poor recently he didn’t have the confidence to try and take a shot on near the end. That’s a concern. He also skied one (I know Willock and Joelinton were also major culprits) and mislaid some simple passes in attack. I think he is improving at not holding onto the ball for too long so that’s something at least 

1 minute ago, joeyt said:

Think he's a weak link when we're attacking but he does graft his bollocks off every game

I think in an ideal world he should be Joelinton's backup as the workhorse CM.

I still don’t get the constant criticism of him. He’s good and I thought he was fine tonight. Defensively he never misses anything. Nobody’s passing was good in the game from either side.

Edited by Smal

Getting to the point where hard work just isn't enough any more. I appreciate the effort but his quality on the ball is substandard for the level we're aiming for. His passing and shooting have been dreadful recently and he's the first one who needs to be replaced this window. 

Guest reefatoon

That moment in the first half where he had the ball and was stuttering really slow up the pitch in acres of space only to then play it square straight off the pitch [emoji38] Was like he was terrified to move forward with the ball.

Edited by reefatoon