Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

People rightly praise his defensive contributions but going forward he is not good enough right now. I hope he can continue to develop but he plays a box to box game. If you have someone in that role they need to provide regular goals / assists or at least threat. Apart from that quality ball to Wilson against Fulham and a lovely dinked assist last season I can’t remember him showing enough quality in attacking positions, and that’s not even accounting for the chances he misses. We can’t afford to have Joelinton, Longstaff and Willock all missing sitters every game 

I appreciate his work rate but he badly needs upgrading. 

I’d love us to sign a proper 4 and move Bruno up to the 8 position. Longstaff to the bench. 

Edited by LV

When he has one second to get it and pass it he’s alright, anything more and he loses the plot. 

Annoying because he makes good runs but doesn’t have the ability to make the most of it most of the time. 

Ultimately he will have to come out sooner rather than later. 

1 minute ago, Smal said:

I’d still be taking Willock out of the team (for ASM) ahead of him, like. Midfield looked a lot better when we did that and it allows Bruno to be a bit more creative.

Yeah totally agree, though he disappeared after the second miss. Looks like his confidence is shot. 

I think he's proven that he can he an important part of the squad over the next few years for sure but his lack of quality in passing and shooting is starting to stick out. When we do replace him we need to try and find someone who does all of his running and pressing to such good effect but with the quality to go with and that's easier said than done IMO.

In some moments Longstaff is good and doing som dirty work that maybe gets unnoticed. He seem like a good lad and will do the job thats in the frame of his capacity. 

In the long term he will not develop much more. I belive this is the Longstaff we will see for now and years later.

I would love to have him as a backup player and use him in some games where someone needs a rest. 

Last night was one of his worst perfomances but in the whole he is a player that will put in a 6/10 rating 9 games out of 10.

A perfect body to just have in the squad. For me his like a Phil Neville type of player. 

Edited by Killuminati

Absolutely better off the ball and to put a shift in that on the ball.

Can't help but like the lad, despite obvious limitations. Wouldn't want to see him in the starting XI every week long term, but great squad player when competing on multiple fronts.

Re: seeing mistakes. I think you can see all players mistakes much more now, since there are undoubtedly fewer. They seem to stand out more under Howe and I think that's credit to how well we're playing.

He had that one nice low cross to the back post and nee fucker was there. Deserved a goal.

Not a big fan of SL, but he's been part of the team that has been performing way above expectations, and his shite finishing is certainly not a unique trait amongst our midfielders, going off last night.

Find it weird with his shooting/finishing the last few games. He was so cool in front of goal before, and had a cracking long shot in him, scoring some absolute screamers when he was out on loan. Don't mind him getting more chances this season. If it starts to click again in the final third, with a bit more composure on the ball, he'll be a great player to have in the squad not only this season but for years to come.

I'd replace Willock before Longstaff. In the short to medium term we will need to upgrade/replace a lot of our starting players if we want to consistently challenge the top 4. Only Pope, Botman, Bruno and Isak are probably of the quality we are going to need going forward.

17 hours ago, Smal said:

I still don’t get the constant criticism of him. He’s good and I thought he was fine tonight. Defensively he never misses anything. Nobody’s passing was good in the game from either side.

Players with limited technical ability always get particular scrutiny from fans. Longstaff, Lascelles, Henderson. Different levels of players but all relatively poor technically.

I’d imagine his team mates love having him in the side. The ground he covers and his stamina would be very hard to replace. He is limited and his shooting has massively gone backwards but he really does suit the way we are set up.