Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

He's been lambasted for his poor finishing which isn't an unfair criticism but the what's been forgotten is him getting in those positions with the regularity he has is a skill in itself. 

If he improves his composure in front of goal he becomes a key player, irrespective of his other weaknesses.

1 hour ago, Aiston said:

Ecstatic for him, two good finishes and almost had a hat trick.

Almost had 4, that left footed volley in the 1st half after a great first touch should have gone in 

7 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

He's been lambasted for his poor finishing which isn't an unfair criticism but the what's been forgotten is him getting in those positions with the regularity he has is a skill in itself. 

If he improves his composure in front of goal he becomes a key player, irrespective of his other weaknesses.

I almost wanted him to stop getting in such good positions :lol:

Absolutely chuffed for him, was a massive critic of his last season, didn't think he could offer us much but glad to have been wrong

This season he's been brilliant and the only issue has been his finishing, he kept on getting himself in great positions and it's good that he managed to score

I'm just gutted that left footed attempt didn't go in, would have been a great goal

1 hour ago, jackyboy said:

Eddie must have teaching him about composure because this last few games he's had better chances and just ballooned the ball over the bar.

In recent times he's been in contact with Shearer about this. Given took him to one side before last night and had a word as well.

In the athletic it sounded like he had a talk with Shearer re: his shooting 

his football intelligence to find the pockets in the half spaces this often (and Bruno, Trips preferring that right side for chance creation) is so underrated. He’s literally better finishing away from being a top player as crazy as that sounds. It won’t change for him overnight but if he can put away 1/4 or 1/3 of the chances he has had he immediately is looked at far differently. 

Given him plenty of stick, some probably deserved, plenty of it probably not.  He has been making those runs all season and then either fluffing the chance or final ball.  In fairness, the last couple of games he has put some lovely balls across and no fucker has gambled. 

He covers so much ground and almost plays as some kind of winger at times.  But I have always thought his quality on the ball just isn't good enough.  Still had some ropey moments on the ball again last night.  But he has won us the tie in the first 20 minutes.  So happy for him, imagine how he is feeling?! 

It's the best part of his game, ghosting into the box unmarked.  Not sure he will get the freedom of the city like Southampton gave him last night.  But he has still been doing that most weeks.  So hopefully he can start chipping in with more goals and assists off the back of these runs now.  

Bruno's ban has come at a terrible time for him, mind.  As I'm guessing he'll now have to play deeper and he won't get many chance to make that late run. 

One of his standout attributes as a youth player was his composure and finishing mainly around the edge of the box. It's weird how for a long time it's become a weakness for him. Hopefully just needed some time on it. He's one who responds well to coaching, he shines when handled properly.

Those finishes were typical of how Lampard would charge into the box. Not expecting a goal return on any scale similar to lampard but even if Sean chipped in with 8-10 goals in a season it would be massive for us 

Like the athletic said above, if he starts converting from his knack of being in the right places, he becomes a top tier midfielder.

I’d love nothing more than for him to become undroppable and for the talk of him needing to be upgrading to stop.

I still enjoy the thought of us not purely buying our future success. Getting Sean to be that player would mean a lot in that respect. 

Edited by Weezertron

2 hours ago, jackyboy said:

Eddie must have teaching him about composure because this last few games he's had better chances and just ballooned the ball over the bar.

It's amazing the difference it makes if you can get your head over it and shoot low. They weren't particularly fantastic strikes, but they were low and well hit. That's all it needs sometimes.

3 hours ago, jackyboy said:

I hope its not just been him then as Joelinton and Willock both get into great scoring positions. 

22 minutes ago, madras said:

I hope its not just been him then as Joelinton and Willock both get into great scoring positions. 

I knew Eddie would say getting into the goal scoring positions is the main thing, you can miss chances, but if you keep getting on the end of them you can easily start scoring them on a run as well. For a young player it can make all the difference to your confidence.