Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Guest HTT II

If Ritchie is that type of person, I’d keep him around, he could have easily not given a fuck and the club would do well to bring in welfare people to help those suffering be it because they are out of form, injured or just youngsters trying to make it in the senior team. I know the academy has such people, but they are 3rd party and part of the foundation and not always accessible.

7 minutes ago, HTT II said:

Aye it makes me feel bad for being critical of him on here, I must learn because my own son is a footballer and the pressure they put themselves under is unreal, even as kids. 

I think we're all going to naturally kick off about players not doing the business for our club, and we'll continue to do that. I know after reading that, I'm going to try and watch what I say about our own players (esp the local ones who grew up with this club in their blood) on the internet. I wouldn't want that said about my own kid either mate! 

I really really hope Sean and Joe Willock become important players for us this season. 

1 hour ago, McCormick said:

Howe is such a gem, man. Rated him before but he’s so much better than I thought. 

That piece right there is exactly why the transfer policy of getting decent characters through the door is so important.

Fucking phenomenal work by Howe to generate such togetherness given the shitshow he took on.

Just now, HTT II said:

If Ritchie is that type of person, I’d keep him around, he could have easily not given a fuck and the club would do well to bring in welfare people to help those suffering be it because they are out of form, injured or just youngsters trying to make it in the senior team. I know the academy has such people, but they are 3rd party and part of the foundation and not always accessible.

Mate, i think that is why Howe really wants to keep him around (along with Lascelles, Fede and Dummett), they really seem to be the old heads around the club and look after the youngins and the new guys. I'm all for it mate. Eddie knows what he's doing and I back him! 

Guess it depends how determined these guys are to play regularly because I can imagine opportunities will be limited moving forward. Could see Ritchie being the “reserve team guy” who’s around to mentor the youth that are coming through. 

Guest HTT II
Just now, Kanji said:

I think we're all going to naturally kick off about players not doing the business for our club, and we'll continue to do that. I know after reading that, I'm going to try and watch what I say about our own players (esp the local ones who grew up with this club in their blood) on the internet. I wouldn't want that said about my own kid either mate! 

I really really hope Sean and Joe Willock become important players for us this season. 

Aye I think the Ashley years turned me super cynical, ultra critical and really hateful when in reality he’s a Geordie lad and trying to live his dream, reading that article I thought how would I react if that was my boy going through it and like you I got a tad emotional.

He’s 8 and was recently let go by sunderland (lucky escape ha ha) and it upset me greatly and I tried to handle it by saying to him they have to give other kids a chance and it was always just training and he was so mature about it, but was upset because he made so many friends there and asked if he would ever see them again. Thankfully he has and will no doubt see them again and again going forward.

They had a tournament the other day which they won, but lost one game and they were beating themselves up and it’s weird because the coaches are the best ever and don’t go crazy and us parents are so supportive. I’ve told my boy unless they are paying you to score goals, if you don’t, don’t worry for example. I’m going to be less critical of our players from now on, it does help mind knowing they are all working their bollocks off for the cause and I can appreciate that.

We don’t demand a team that wins, but a team that tries. That should be applied to our players. Ritchie has went right up in my estimation. Future coach/management material. Keep him around, fuck it if he doesn’t play. He’s one player even under the shite of Ashley who never gave up or threw in the towel and always seemed to care. 

I remember last season as well, Joelinton had one of his first motm performances and was being interviewed alongside Longstaff and he totally stood up for him, saying every player loves being on his side in training because that means they win!

I thought he’d somewhat checked out while Bruce was there but didn’t realise it had affected him mentally so much. Great article and really puts that 2 years in perspective.

Also shows how Matt Ritchie was/is one of the leaders in that dressing room, especially before Tripps and Burn have come in.

Guest HTT II
7 minutes ago, Kanji said:

Mate, i think that is why Howe really wants to keep him around (along with Lascelles, Fede and Dummett), they really seem to be the old heads around the club and look after the youngins and the new guys. I'm all for it mate. Eddie knows what he's doing and I back him! 

I don’t rate Dummet, as a footballer anyway, and did question given him a new contract as he’s always injury prone but I legit know 3-4 of our academy coaches and a few scouts and they say he’s great around the club with staff and watches the youngsters, comes in and takes part, does some training with them and is good pals with all those coaches who were in the academy with him, but unlike him, didn’t make it. No-one has a bad word to say about him. I’m just loving that we have a United club on and off the pitch now, on the club side and on the stands.

Top posts @HTT IIand @Dr Jinx 

Consider me shook a bit reading that article and hopefully others will do the same re: our players. We don't need to overly slag these lads off, even on off days, there is no doubt in my mind Howe and the coaching staff will be doing what's needed to right those wrongs and mistakes. We're all United! 

On 26/05/2022 at 08:01, Zero said:

If you checked out the homegrown requirement listed by different bodies, you won’t complain.

EPL requirement: 8 out of 25 players above age 21 has to be homegrown

UEFA requirement: in addition to the above, 4 out of 25 players have to be promoted from the clubs own youth system

Look at our squad. Only Longstaff and Dummett are qualified under UEFA version.

We have one of the highest homegrown percentages in the league - we don't really need to worry about it. The UEFA requirement is harder I agree.

12ft | Explained: How the Premier League’s homegrown rule is impacting your club’s transfers - The Athletic

11 minutes ago, HTT II said:

I don’t rate Dummet, as a footballer anyway, and did question given him a new contract as he’s always injury prone but I legit know 3-4 of our academy coaches and a few scouts and they say he’s great around the club with staff and watches the youngsters, comes in and takes part, does some training with them and is good pals with all those coaches who were in the academy with him, but unlike him, didn’t make it. No-one has a bad word to say about him. I’m just loving that we have a United club on and off the pitch now, on the club side and on the stands.

Ashworth is known for signing older players to play with academy players during their matches. I'm convinced this is why we've kept Dummett on.

Guest HTT II
1 minute ago, Kid Icarus said:

Ashworth is known for signing older players to play with academy players during their matches. I'm convinced this is why we've kept Dummett on.

I didn’t know that, makes complete sense.

39 minutes ago, Ste said:

When you start to connect the dots, you can see why Ritchie called Bunce a coward. 

Would be fascinated to hear an in depth interview with him one day after he's retired.

I believe 99% of footballers are trying their best at all times, if they suddenly decline you need to look at what’s going on. 

Someone’s quality as a player is a fine balance between their ability, work, mental state, environment, play style, all sorts of things. 

Anyway, whatever role Longstaff ends up playing, fair play to him and Howe for building a relationship and giving him a fighting chance. Good lads both. 

1 hour ago, HTT II said:

Very interesting to read about PD

1 hour ago, Yorkie said:

Love Sean Hate Steve

Yeah, Bruce ruined him and his brother, I hope one of them get a decent career.  Sean had the talentto become a top midfielder. Not world class but good enough for a top 4 side potentially.  He looks excellent in preseason as well.  Seems to be scoring and getting in the right positions.  It will be interesting to see how Howe plays him.

2 hours ago, HaydnNUFC said:

Good read, that. Always thought he would've been one of those in the squad who hated Bruce, given how poor he was under him. Hopefully this season he can be much better than the last 3 and play his best football.

He did, called Bruce a "fucking weapon" at the cricket a few years ago :lol: