Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

14 hours ago, Mountain said:

Odd thing to say, it's a Newcastle united forum why are you giving out "life advice" cringey stuff

Yes probably bit strange for me to say those things in a football forum. At that time i just thought someone needed to hear it. Anyway pardon me and keep enjoying these great times as NUFC fans. I certainly am right now!

Think I have a negative bias re young Sean. Don’t know why; love local lads doing well. Dawns on me I only ever seem to notice when something doesn’t come off—miscontrol, not quite making a pass, too ponderous in decision making. I know he puts in admirable effort. Always great to see.

New Year’s resolution, I’m going to try and shift focus and notice the good on the ball moments, the contributions he makes in possession. 

He’s had a decent season, but for me it’s like how Shelvey performed last season once Howe was appointed. Better than previous form, contributed, but still not of the required higher standard needed (eventually). I’m happy for him though and off the ball he seems relentless in his pressing and work rate, but in attacking positions when passes get played into space or to run onto he just lacks the pace or final touch to make things happen. I do like, and it is now noticeable, how he like many of our players interchange positions and roles. 

He is underrated and has been integral to recent form. Not always amazing on the ball, but his work ethic is outstanding and his tactical understanding and positioning goes almost entirely unnoticed. 

He reminds me a bit of a young Jordan Henderson, one of those players that improves a team even if you can't always see what he's bringing. 

The late runs he continually makes into the penalty box on the right hand side are great for us. He opens up the space for Almiron and Trippier and offers a positive outlet. It’s just a shame that we seem to struggle a lot of times in finding a decent enough pass for him to get on to

35 minutes ago, Andy said:

He is underrated and has been integral to recent form. Not always amazing on the ball, but his work ethic is outstanding and his tactical understanding and positioning goes almost entirely unnoticed. 

He reminds me a bit of a young Jordan Henderson, one of those players that improves a team even if you can't always see what he's bringing. 

:thup: I've noticed recently that he's attempting the same underlapping runs on the right that Henderson used to make for Liverpool as well.

On 28/12/2022 at 10:43, Coffee_Johnny said:

Think I have a negative bias re young Sean. Don’t know why; love local lads doing well. Dawns on me I only ever seem to notice when something doesn’t come off—miscontrol, not quite making a pass, too ponderous in decision making. I know he puts in admirable effort. Always great to see.

New Year’s resolution, I’m going to try and shift focus and notice the good on the ball moments, the contributions he makes in possession. 

I would like to see some stats on how often Sean gets dispossessed, or misplaces a pass. I don't think the figures will be any greater than those for Bruno or Joelinton. However, he did go through a phase where his confidence was shot and he was playing in a very indecisive and fragile way. So I think that when he loses the ball now, it feels like he's reverted to type, rather than just made the usual kind of error which every player is prone to.

Bruno and Joelinton will produce more spectacular moments, and so it's perhaps inevitable that they get more accolades. But Sean can pass the ball, he can shoot and his reading of the game and his defensive work are improving all the time. 

I tend to agree, that because he isn’t as fancy or as talented as our other midfielders. He does get criticised more when he is ponderous on the ball or misplaces an easy pass. It is understandable, whilst also being a bit unfair. 

Not sure about his shooting, mind. He’s scored a couple from distance, from memory. But he seems to get a massive rush of blood, often hurries his shot and blasts it into row Z. 

Two great chances . As much as a plank as Wood can be in front of goal. 

Maddison, providing he’s fit, would be a great signing to fulfil that need with Bruno dropping a little deeper.  We deserve to be where we are and now’a the time to improve our squad if we can and get rid of dead wood…..full of daft puns when I’m pi**ed….!