Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

Thoughts on this plodders performance? I thought he put in one of the worst displays I have seen from a NUFC player for a while, ambling about with no urgency or effort and running in slow motion as well as passing to the other team. Horrendous player

Bit hyperbolic, but generally yes, he was poor. I'm not so sure he will make it in the championship tbh, he has okay technique when it comes to striking a ball but nothing else. Can't run, pass, tackle, protect possession, play in tight spaces, carry the ball... basically all the attributes important for a central midfielder.

Not that he’s scored much but I think he has a good shot.

Rafa must have only elevated him to the side out of necessity surely. Merino was never replaced, and obviously not enough funds to go round the and fix the entire squad. CM was always threadbare so makes sense that Longstaff came into the start out of nowhere really at pretty late age really 21/22

That being said, with some actual coaching and playing in a side that knew what they we're doing he didn't look out of his depth. 

At this level neither Longstaff is quick enough, certainly not quick enough to form a partnership. Matty looks like he could be a holding player in front of the defence, Sean needs a partner able to make runs; he looks like a player limited to operate 20 either side of the halfway line with the odd foray into the box.

I’m confused by what people are watching with each brother. They are both nowhere near the top level, but the criticism of Sean on here is a bit of a joke really.

Sean is far more athletic than Matty and actually does have a bit of recovery pace to get back into position after this stupid tactic of pressing blindly without any actual team plan to close the space between the lines. There are things in Sean’s game that can obviously improve upon and a good coach would help with that. I’m pretty certain that he actually covers the most ground in the entire 11 every time he plays.

I don’t understand why Matty is rated ahead of him, the only thing he offers is that he is more assured on the ball in tight situations, but that can be coached. Matty runs in slow motion, is typically out of position and offers nothing approve going forward - I accept that is a result of poor management and his role is not to support attacks.

The issues for brothers is again a lack of understanding of the strengths of the team overall by the coaching staff and the players you have to pick to make whatever plan (or no plan....) you have work.

I don’t rate either highly at all, but playing in midfield in Bruce’s system is an impossible task, basically. Especially for those two. We’d be better off with a couple of highly athletic shuttler-types in there who can run around a lot.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Bruce has done a thousand things wrong in his time here that will take a long time to sort out once he's gone, but not building his team around the Longstaffs will be one of his biggest.

To think, clever Mike could have made £50m from him due to Rafa’s coaching.

The drop in valuation of players thanks to Bruce must be ridiculous!

The decision to try and put him in a 10 role seemed madness to me. All of those highlights are of him playing deeper and he looked a genuine talent there under Rafa. That said some of the responsibility is at Sean’s door though. I think he got ahead of himself a little with the Man U links and publicly hiring agents. He’s put in some truly awful performances this season albeit during Bruce’s 44facking2 spell.

Nah, it is all down to Bruce. The evidence being that every single midfielder at the club has looked infinitely worse since he came in.

I don't know where this idea Sean got ahead of himself is coming from. It doesn't make any sense. What just because he got linked with Man Utd. he decided to down tools and not bother anymore? No.

It's the manager who has tanked the value of every single player at the club that I would be looking at.

It's unbelievable how much good coaching and instruction is underestimated, particularly for young players coming through. We've seen the greatest evidence of it shifting from the highly detailed and drilled methods of Rafa to Mr. 'Let's Play' Bruce. It's disgusting.