Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

The regression of players has been my go to argument anytime anyone's come back with the "but Bruce has managed the same points as Rafa" shite. 

I'm yet to hear a reasonable explanation for why the value of the majority of our players has plummeted since Bruce took over and another reason why I don't buy into this 'we have championship standard players' narrative. It's plainly wrong when we had the likes of Lascelles and Shelvey being talked up for an England place by the media of all people. 

Edit: There's only 3 players in this team that I'd be gutted about leaving and Longstaff would be one of those 3; would absolutely love a homegrown top class CM.

Edited by Thumbheed

3 hours ago, Dr Jinx said:

It’s a mentality thing. He has the ability and size to make an impact like Rice has, if he was inclined to, but he doesn’t have any fire in the belly, him or his brother.

They just seem to be going through the motions and happy to be in or around the 25 man squad each week whether they play or not.

not true.

may not be world-beaters they are absolutely desperate to do well with their hometown club, or even at another club if they're given the chance.

they've been treated awfully, mismanaged and misled by Bruce on a personal and a professional level.

Sell them to save them.  If Longstaff goes to Everton he still has a chance to come back.  You go from Rafa who was detailed and developed his to players to fat ass who rolled balls out onto the pitch and then walked his fucking dog.  Of course he was going to flounder when Bruce arrived.  Young players need direction and the need to be taught the right way.

In fairness to both the Longstaffs no one could have predicted Bruce would last this long. They probably hoped they would either get to play under someone competent here or the takeover would have happened.

As it is they both just need to get out of dodge if they want top be playing at the top level in the future.

Thought Sean looked decent in his cameo on Sunday. There is a player there in both cases but we won't see it under this regime. Go before it's too late.

God ... if this guy goes to Everton and returns to the top form he found with Rafa back in the day. It would be so incredibly enjoyable to see Bruce squirm about it when it comes up ;D

He's been terrible for a while now, mind. That performance away at Leeds last season was AIDS inducing, two of his set plays were so bad they led to breaks which Leeds scored twice from. :lol: 

A better manager like Benitez would get more from him, or any player of ours for that matter tbh. But I've seen nowt since March 2019(!) since he picked up his injury to suggest those 8 games were anything but a purple patch. Yes, the common difference between those 8 games and the 2 seasons since was the manager, but surely we would've seen a positive glimpse since then? We may have done but nothing whatsoever springs to mind.

After his form over the last 2 seasons I'd cash in tbh for £10m+ if it means we get a suitable replacement. ( :lol: )

Quality CMs command a premium and managers will have seen enough of him under Rafa to think he’s worth the risk. Age is on his side and he’s shown he can run games at this level with the right coaching. We’re about as far from that as you can get so let him see if he can fulfil his potential elsewhere instead of rotting under Bruce

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

He's been terrible for a while now, mind. That performance away at Leeds last season was AIDS inducing, two of his set plays were so bad they led to breaks which Leeds scored twice from. :lol: 

A better manager like Benitez would get more from him, or any player of ours for that matter tbh. But I've seen nowt since March 2019(!) since he picked up his injury to suggest those 8 games were anything but a purple patch. Yes, the common difference between those 8 games and the 2 seasons since was the manager, but surely we would've seen a positive glimpse since then? We may have done but nothing whatsoever springs to mind.

After his form over the last 2 seasons I'd cash in tbh for £10m+ if it means we get a suitable replacement. ( :lol: )

He has been poor but I do wonder which midfielder whose main asset is his passing ability would thrive in a team with little movement, direction and positional awareness?

A pass is only as good as the movement and the positioning of the players that are receiving the pass and it's fair to say we've had none of that the past 2 seasons. 

I also don't think it's a coincidence that our most affective midfielders have players who are good ball carriers or players who break up play as neither skills are dependent on the movement of other players so for me it's far too premature to write him off now. 

Edited by Thumbheed

14 minutes ago, Thumbheed said:

He has been poor but I do wonder which midfielder whose main asset is his passing ability would thrive in a team with little movement, direction and positional awareness?

A pass is only as good as the movement and the positioning of the players that are receiving the pass and it's fair to say we've had none of that the past 2 seasons. 

I also don't think it's a coincidence that our most affective midfielders have players who are good ball carriers or players who break up play as neither skills are dependent on the movement of other players so for me it's far too premature to write him off now. 

I get what you're saying but someone could easily use that argument as to why Shelvey looks largely piss poor in this team rather than he's just shit. I've not seen any glimpses from him to suggest he's a good footballer at this level since the start of 2019-20 and that was some time ago. Maybe Man United (h) when his brother scored the winner? But even then it was his brother who was getting the deserved praise and Matty's the poor bastard who never gets played! :lol: 

I've watched the highlights of Leeds away last season to jog my memory and he's responsible for three of their goals. Three

I suppose I need more convincing and I'm not sure that it's gonna be here. A £10m+ move would probably be best for all parties, especially if it means Matty finally gets his chance in the team again. I doubt it though.

1 hour ago, HaydnNUFC said:

I’m always a big believer that if you are a player of a good quality standard then you will still see that on a football pitch no matter who the manager is. Yes a player will perform better at more frequent levels under a better manager, but you don’t just go to a shit level of performance over a two year period under a poor manager. You still see quality players like Wilson and St Max giving high level performances under the same poor manager. If Everton or anyone else offered 10 million, personally I would bite their hand off. 

Edited by et tu brute

At nearly 24 time is definitely not on his side. Players that hasn't properly broken through by that time are extremely unlikely to do so. A handful of good performances during a spell that lasted 2-3 months back in first half of 2019 is most likely looking like that, a good spell for a very average player that was playing in a well drilled team that was in good form. There's other players I'd like to see go before him, but we don't have the luxury to pick and chose whom to sell, so if anyone is willing to give £10m for him I'd say that's good money* based on the last two seasons.

*for a team that would invest the money again to improve the team.

I agree , this shite that Rafa will sort him out is a slap in the face of fans for his poor performance of recent times.He looks like he has no desire to play for the shirt , to want to succeed , I’d cash in now before he becomes worthless .He’s bang average , even under Rafa nothing special like his brother in truth , sell them both or they need to step up and perform like they want the shirt.

It’s down to them .

Edited by GWN