Sean Longstaff

xLiaaamx

12 minutes ago, Smal said:

This guy looked more like his old self athletically today. Got about, pressed well and got stuck in. More of that please.

Probably just needed some actual training.

Thought the opposite. Boy was class when he managed to get involved, but still seems very sluggish and laboured compared to when he first broke through. He is so often second to balls or trailing play. I like him, but he needs to sort out his physicality to be a consistent Premier League player.

Willock has been shocking all season but comparing these two is pointless anyway. Willock is a CAM who doesn't fit into Howe's system while Longstaff is a much more traditional CM/CDM. Problem is he doesn't have the stamina or physique to play this role. He was completely useless in the last 15 minutes tonight again.

He got involved in our goal, but most of the time he looked slow, hesitant, and didn't impose himself on the game. I don't know what's happened, whether it's the long-term effects of an injury or something between his ears. But we do need some pace and energy in that position, and he's very short in those areas.

Leagues above what we've seen for the last good while but (without seeing it again in a slightly less emotional state) I thought he was shite for the goal. Cavani should have a CM within a yard or two of him in that scenario and Longstaff was nowhere to be seen. But he had a huge role in our goal and was decent otherwise. But we won't see much more of him if the transfer window goes well. 

Just now, Alan Pardew said:

Willock has been shocking all season but comparing these two is pointless anyway. Willock is a CAM who doesn't fit into Howe's system while Longstaff is a much more traditional CM/CDM. Problem is he doesn't have the stamina or physique to play this role. He was completely useless in the last 15 minutes tonight again.

Hes been out of the team tbf to him so he's probably running on empty towards the end of the game.

Shelvey before Longstaff needs to be resolved much more urgently, as well as both fullback positions, central defence, cover for Wilson. There's a lot of others to worry about before this chap if he can keep up the level he played at tonight.

1 minute ago, Heron said:

Nah, he was just covering Shelvey's lack of athleticism and ASMs lack of defensive work in our half. 

Shelvey grafted his nuts off there like. Anar he's not the quickest or most agile but him and Joelinton put some hard yards in there

25 minutes ago, Alan Pardew said:

I can take certain criticisms of Longstaff but not lack of stamina like? I'm sure he runs the most in the team or something daft, his pressure got us the goal tonight and he did a lot of the defensive work his team mates were incapable or unwilling to do. 

Just now, jack j said:

Shelvey grafted his nuts off there like. Anar he's not the quickest or most agile but him and Joelinton put some hard yards in there

That's not a criticism of Shelvey's efforts. He's seemingly fitter and/or more willing than he has been for a long time because of the way he's been man managed. However, athleticism isn't his strong point and nor has it ever been. 

Bruce absolutely wrecked his progress, but he looked solid today, hopefully he can find some of that Rafa form in the second half of the season. There's definitely a better player in there than the last 2 years have shown, he just needs pointing in the right direction. Ideally the midfield is replaced in January but he may have a part to play and hopefully he keeps improving again.

1 minute ago, Heron said:

That's not a criticism of Shelvey's efforts. He's seemingly fitter and/or more willing than he has been for a long time because of the way he's been man managed. However, athleticism isn't his strong point and nor has it ever been. 

Agree with this, and I've been one of Shelvey's biggest critics for a while. He's nowhere near the weak link he once was.

2 minutes ago, Dr.Spaceman said:

I actually didn't think he was great, he was at the minimum level required today, which is better than he's been. His positional play and decision making still isn't of the required standard.

His pass for the first goal was very assertive. 99% of the time a player in our shirt takes one touch too many before making the pass, and thus nullifying the chance.

Just now, ManDoon said:

Guy runs in treacle though, not his fault obvs but he’s so slow 

I see him has being a Siem de Jong type but obviously in a lesser way like. Playing in the pockets and closing down opposition in the final third.