Fabian Schär

16 minutes ago, Ben said:

I bet he has some fancy Ski lodge in Switzerland full of fanny and then a villa in Ibiza for the summer fanny, I imagine he's a fanny type bloke.

Aye,I reckon he loves a threesome. Sometimes with 2 bits of fanny sometimes with a bloke and a bit of fanny.

The win today is allowing me to finally get this out my system, but allow me to point out one last time.

This handsome bastard wasn't getting a kick for the first 8 games under a manager who made his fucking name as a ball playing defender. Outrageous. 

2 minutes ago, Thiago said:

The win today is allowing me to finally get this out my system, but allow me to point out one last time.

This handsome bastard wasn't getting a kick for the first 8 games under a manager who made his fucking name as a ball playing defender. Outrageous. 

Ball playing defender? Bruce?

6 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Ball playing defender? Bruce?

Yeah. Look it was a different time, but talk to folk from then and they'll say one of his best skills was the ability to bring a high ball down and play out. He was no clogger by the time he got to Man U.

4 hours ago, Thiago said:

Yeah. Look it was a different time, but talk to folk from then and they'll say one of his best skills was the ability to bring a high ball down and play out. He was no clogger by the time he got to Man U.

Pretty sure he once scored 20 goals in a season from centre half.

Bruce the manager loved his centre halves to be lumps

• 2 weeks later...

Don’t understand why this guy is apparently immune to criticism. Thought he was beaten too easily for the fourth, and have a distinct memory of him trying to maraud and losing it more than once.

Lascelles has been shite, but Schar has been pretty poor too. If we persist with four at the back, then I’d try Lascelles-Fernandez before Schar-Fernandez, especially against Liverpool…

Just now, Raconteur said:

Don’t understand why this guy is apparently immune to criticism. Thought he was beaten too easily for the fourth, and have a distinct memory of him trying to maraud and losing it more than once.

Lascelles has been shite, but Schar has been pretty poor too. If we persist with four at the back, then I’d try Lascelles-Fernandez before Schar-Fernandez, especially against Liverpool…

It's pretty clear that Lascelles and Schar are a terrible pairing. I'd always go Schar and Fernandez over any of our other defenders.

37 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

Just think his (undeniable) quality on the ball covers up the fact he’s a pretty ordinary defender.

Agree. Unfortunately, if you want to play football, it has to start from the back and that's why he's playing. We have poor midfielders to start with, and the full backs are no great shakes either. We need every footballer we can get if we want to shift the ball from back to front. 

27 minutes ago, TRon said:

Agree. Unfortunately, if you want to play football, it has to start from the back and that's why he's playing. We have poor midfielders to start with, and the full backs are no great shakes either. We need every footballer we can get if we want to shift the ball from back to front. 

Is this the usual point where someone suggests he should play as a defensive midfielder?

1 hour ago, The Prophet said:

Yeah I'd agree with this. Even then he plays himself into bother at times.

At least two or three times a match. He’s great in spurts but he does have a bit of a Ciaran Clark in him quite regularly.

Needs Fede next to him and he’ll probably improve.

This 4-4-2 Howe prefers does our CBs no favours, especially with the CM pairing giving them no cover. We need either 3 CBs or a 3 CMs in for the next two games at least, if only to keep the scores down.

25 minutes ago, Fantail Breeze said:

At least two or three times a match. He’s great in spurts but he does have a bit of a Ciaran Clark in him quite regularly.

Needs Fede next to him and he’ll probably improve.

This. It's so annoying because the steadier hand who's stuck on the bench should see an improvement to whoever he's paired with, Lascelles or Schar. As it is it's the blind leading the blind.

Although I like Fab for his attacking threat, I'd readily see him replaced long term. But that attacking threat means short term, Lascelles is the one that should be dropped for Fede and I think why people are keeping a bit quieter over Schar's shortcomings.

Edited by wormy

• 4 weeks later...