Fabian Schär

All depends on how many we get in at CB. If we get 2 proper decent ones then I'd not be bothered about him going.

If he wants to leave now just when it's starting to look up for the club then more fool him. Or perhaps he hasn't got the stones to stay and fight for his place. He can go play for Real Betis or wherever.

1 minute ago, POOT 2.0 said:

Yeh, Schar is very much our best CB at the moment. Sign another and it's surely to partner him, not replace him. It would make no sense if it was a replacement. 

Schar might be ready to leave. Also, while he is the best, it's not saying that much, all of our CB's have a rick in them. I wouldn't be surprised if we bring in a second CB later in the window then allow one to leave. 

I don't think Howe would choose to get rid of Schar either to be honest.

I think (hope!) it's quite telling that when he's played them both he's played Schar as the right-sided centre back and Lascelles on the left when the latter has always played on the right (in a 2) for past managers. Botman is left footed, so you would presume he would play on the left.

• 2 weeks later...

I'll say this again - Fabi Schar is only suited to a back three in a top league. 

He might get away with a back two for Switzerland and when he was at Basel, but the lad has too many weaknesses to be consistent in that set up. He's not an exceptional athlete relative to the standard (hence why he's crap in the air) and he is prone to the odd brain fart. 

Rafa knew both of these things, but also saw a player that can pass through the lines and is very comfortable driving out of the back. A back three is perfect because it allows him to go on those forays and also make some mistakes without totally exposing the defence. The way we played him meant the pitch was wide because of the wingbacks and created lanes fro him to drive through (see Cardiff at home). He's not perfect, but knowing he has a quite limited CB behind him in Lascelles to clean up the messes also gives him confidence to play the way he wants. 

I know Eddie is set on this 4-2-3-1 but I'd be far more comfortable going to a back 3 with a front 3. That way we get our wingbacks in attacking areas to supply crosses for Chris Wood and we don't give any real responsibilities to the midfield because let's be frank, they're shite.

9 minutes ago, Thiago said:

I'll say this again - Fabi Schar is only suited to a back three in a top league. 

He might get away with a back two for Switzerland and when he was at Basel, but the lad has too many weaknesses to be consistent in that set up. He's not an exceptional athlete relative to the standard (hence why he's crap in the air) and he is prone to the odd brain fart. 

Rafa knew both of these things, but also saw a player that can pass through the lines and is very comfortable driving out of the back. A back three is perfect because it allows him to go on those forays and also make some mistakes without totally exposing the defence. The way we played him meant the pitch was wide because of the wingbacks and created lanes fro him to drive through (see Cardiff at home). He's not perfect, but knowing he has a quite limited CB behind him in Lascelles to clean up the messes also gives him confidence to play the way he wants. 

I know Eddie is set on this 4-2-3-1 but I'd be far more comfortable going to a back 3 with a front 3. That way we get our wingbacks in attacking areas to supply crosses for Chris Wood and we don't give any real responsibilities to the midfield because let's be frank, they're shite.

Been saying this for a while now. I know it's not sexy football, but it suits the players we've got. The defenders get a bit of extra insurance in the middle, wing backs can bomb on knowing there's three behind them, and it also gives pacy forwards like ASM and Willock a bit more space to attack on the counter.

The midfield is going to be shit no matter what formation you put out so might as well bypass them. 

I think he tried it against Brentford and was scared off because we didn't win. The problem with that conclusion is that it negates the fact Darlow threw one in and we were just incredibly unlucky. 

I think if you put Fernandez, Lascelles and Schar in a back three it would be fine.

Fab Schar has looked shit in a back 4 for us becuase we've had pretty shit fullbacks and partners for him who are either limited in positioning, pace, or both. he looks fine a back 4 for the Swiss because Akanji is a pretty solid all arounder. 

That is an eye opening graphic.  Schar isn't as bad as he's portrayed but as others have said we have a crew of CBs who can best function in a back 3.  All of CBs are flawed: Lascelles is bad on the ball and has lost a step.  Fede is slow.  Schar isn't physical enough.  Clark is prone to major errors.  Put any three together as Rafa did and you have something but that something was 2 + seasons ago.

In a 2 man pairing the flaws are all too evident.   

The problem is that our midfield mirrors the CBs.  Any two MF together are turbo shit but put 3 together and they can at least, to a certain extent, paper over the flaws.  So that would give us a 3-5-2 with Wilson/Wood and ASM up top.  Miggy's done, Fraser can be an impact sub and?

Even if we get Carlos in he has to settle and that could take a while.  I'm assuming he plays with just one partner but I think he could adapt to a 3 man until the end of the season.

I'm really not sure why Howe hasn't played a 352 variation.  I would allow him to play Shelvey as the deep lying QB.  Joe could play box to box role and Willock can get back to ghosting into the box.

Now, in defense of Howe, if he's concerned that if the players have been conditioned to go into a shell with a one goal lead then you could say this isn't the best formation.  However with Trippier he has an example of a forward thinking WB who knows when to drop back in defense.  Get Lewis back, get him on the same page as Trips and I think we'd be much off.

This all works on the assumption we aren't getting a 2nd CB or a MF in this window.  If we do he can set up different.

He’s not that bad in a back 4, no way. He’s a good ball-playing CB. Yes, he’s not the best defensively and that’s why he should have someone like Fede (or preferably better) beside him. Should be replaced as we move upwards but I don’t buy that he’s a problem.

2 minutes ago, Collage said:

He’s not that bad in a back 4, no way. He’s a good ball-playing CB. Yes, he’s not the best defensively and that’s why he should have someone like Fede (or preferably better) beside him. Should be replaced as we move upwards but I don’t buy that he’s a problem.

Personally I think he is pretty badly suited for a back 4, there’s a reason Rafa liked playing him for a back 5.

Hes good on the ball (or was before this season) and looks good when he drives forward, but as an out and out defender he is poor for a back 4 I think. He needs the cover of another 2 CBs to perform at his highest standard.

5 minutes ago, Nine said:

Personally I think he is pretty badly suited for a back 4, there’s a reason Rafa liked playing him for a back 5.

Hes good on the ball (or was before this season) and looks good when he drives forward, but as an out and out defender he is poor for a back 4 I think. He needs the cover of another 2 CBs to perform at his highest standard.

That's my opinion of him as well. I think many get duped because

a) he was really good at bringing the ball out

b) he's just so damn good looking

In a back 4 it's just too risky IMO, especially an ageing one. 

23 hours ago, Kanji said:

Fab Schar has looked shit in a back 4 for us becuase we've had pretty shit fullbacks and partners for him who are either limited in positioning, pace, or both. he looks fine a back 4 for the Swiss because Akanji is a pretty solid all arounder. 

If anything this proves how limited Schar is.

Never rated him as a defender and fully expect him to go in the summer regardless of our league status.