Fabian Schär

35 minutes ago, Ghandis Flip-Flop said:

aye that famously upright Maradonna and Messi are awful like 🤦🏻 you ever thought biomechanics might play a bit of a part in it, along with the massive disparity in height between the players you mentioned?

You seen either play? Maradona runs so upright with the ball he may as well have a rod from the base of his skull down to his heels. Dropping a shoulder is not the same as running with the ball. Not sure what point you're trying to make. It's about having awareness and having your head up. 

He had that sometimes, but also often if he was out for a while it seemed to take him a while to get up to speed and cut out the reckless tackles. I completely agree Howe has made him better but man I used to rave about the lejeune lascelles schar backline (and Schar scored a few worldies as well then) as much better than the rest of our team. I was skeptical he could play in a 4 particularly one pressing high but he has proved me wrong on that, but he was always one of our most technically gifted players and an absolute steal for the price we got him

3 hours ago, HawK said:

You seen either play? Maradona runs so upright with the ball he may as well have a rod from the base of his skull down to his heels. Dropping a shoulder is not the same as running with the ball. Not sure what point you're trying to make. It's about having awareness and having your head up. 

Yes, anyone moving at pace has a forward lean at the ankles, and playing with your head up, doesn’t necessitate being totally upright. They’re not dogs ffs they can look up

96E33E23-9522-42FC-8F69-6ED921D53E8B.webp

4174EB42-356C-4FA1-982F-9E4F74B091F4.jpeg

37519196-057F-4824-964C-492DCC7D74BB.jpeg

The 3 at the back thing is interesting.

Like... I've thought being in a 3 has prolonged Thiago Silva's top level career. Before this season, I would say he would struggle a lot in a back 4. But this season, he's looked fine in a back 4.

Schar doesn't have tremendous pace but he is much better defending further up the pitch. Winning headers isn't a strength either, so playing in a low-block and dealing with header after header isn't playing to his strengths. He's better at proactive defending up the pitch.

6 hours ago, The College Dropout said:

The 3 at the back thing is interesting.

Like... I've thought being in a 3 has prolonged Thiago Silva's top level career. Before this season, I would say he would struggle a lot in a back 4. But this season, he's looked fine in a back 4.

Schar doesn't have tremendous pace but he is much better defending further up the pitch. Winning headers isn't a strength either, so playing in a low-block and dealing with header after header isn't playing to his strengths. He's better at proactive defending up the pitch.

As I said on previous page, not sure there are many CBs who shine in back to the walls low block defending constantly. I think Schar is an aggressive defender (hence why he's great at intercepting) who's game is suited to being, as you say, proactive.