Yoshinori Mutō (now playing for Vissel Kobe)

Rich

Guest HTT II

Just another in the long list of shit left field players we’ve signed under Ashley. Total waste of a signing and not of his own fault either as he hardly got a look in!

Guest HTT II
10 minutes ago, Optimistic Nut said:

£10m is an average Championship attacking-midfielder these days like. We were being quoted about £12m for Forestieri, Knockeart, £8m for Mo Barrow and that was 5 years ago.

Aye I wouldn’t hold the fee against him/this signing of him.

• 2 months later...
1 minute ago, Shearergol said:

So that's Muto and Lejeune we've practically given away. Who's next? 

Funny how their fancy transfer policy goes completely to shit when you entrust a baboon with cultivating your assets. 

Total dogshit signing. No idea what our scouts see in players half the time. As said above, sometimes better off signing no one. Think this season were about to prove whether that statement is correct.

5 minutes ago, Dokko said:

Total dogshit signing. No idea what our scouts see in players half the time. As said above, sometimes better off signing no one. Think this season were about to prove whether that statement is correct.

What manager signed Muto? 

Guest reefatoon
52 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Funny how their fancy transfer policy goes completely to shit when you entrust a baboon with cultivating your assets. 

Lejeune fair enough, but Muto never got a look in well before the ogre took charge and his value would have plummeted a good while back. Muto was a strange old waste of money in hindsight, especially if those wages were true. 

Edited by reefatoon

2 minutes ago, joeyt said:

:lol:

You're not signing a good striker for less than £10mil these days

I love Rafa however he spent a few 10mils on poor players didn't he. Rafa also had autonomy on who came and went during his time.

Muto had marginally better numbers than Gayle did for us in 17/18 and appeared far more clinical (19 shots on target, 8 goals compared + xG of 4.9 to Gayle's 22 on target, 6 goals + xG of 9.6).

Keep in mind we had Joselu as well that season. Muto was bought for too much if he was never intended as a starter; he said when he joined he wanted 10 goals in 18/19. Didn't even get 10 games ever!

Maybe it was a language barrier preventing tactics getting across, I've heard that shouted. But we need to do proper due diligence on players if that's the main reason 

Edited by nbthree3

3 minutes ago, reefatoon said:

Lejeune fair enough, but Muto never got a look in well before the ogre took charge and his value would have plummeted a good while back. Muto was a strange old waste of money in hindsight, especially if those wages were true. 

True but where the majority of players were on an upward trajectory prior to his arrival, there's very few in the squad we'd make bank on now.

ASM probably, but I just don't think anyone's interested cos of his fitness issues and cos he's so far off refining his talents. Maybe sometime like Lascelles? But again, his stock's plummeted and you really have to question that lad's ambition. Should've slapped in a transfer request the moment Benitez left. Hayden's another one but we could've been looking at upwards of 15mill once upon a time, not a makeweight in a deal for Mario Lemina. Couldn't see anyone offering more than what we paid for Almiron, Joelinton, Lewis. That leaves the older players and the players no one's gonna pay big money for. 

5 minutes ago, Yelevats said:

I love Rafa however he spent a few 10mils on poor players didn't he. Rafa also had autonomy on who came and went during his time.

Won't deny that Rafa got this one wrong, assuming he had anything to do with it (likewise Murphy, which is the only other player that fits your criteria there), but I think the bolded part is a very generous way of putting it - certainly once we were in the PL. He didn't know what he had to work with money-wise and the recent Chris Waugh article in The Athletic revealed that the way we select players we ultimately bid for is pretty unorthodox. I imagine Muto was well down the list but the targets above him simply weren't attainable if we were to comply with the ludicrous policy, so Rafa just settle for what he could get. 

Gayle, Ritchie, Murphy and Almiron are the £10m+ers as far as I can recall. 

The first two, particularly Ritchie, represent two of our best value-for-money-signings of the century (not Rafa's fault we're still relying on them); Murphy didn't work but has come on a lot to his credit (and, dare I say it, Bruce's cred... No, fuck that, I dare not); and Almiron's talent is fairly indisputable imo. 

https://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/rafael-benitez/spielertransfers/trainer/1522/plus/0/galerie/0?station_id=130579 

I think most of the larger investments have turned poor mainly due to outstaying their shelf life. Muto and Murphy stand out in that list as poor initial buys. 

As has been mentioned more than once its hard to tell if this was rafa's 5th /6th choice or first rumour was he had to create a list to put forward for approval with cheap and more expensive players on it. So while you could say we bought poorly at times it doesnt show the full story. 

27 minutes ago, Yorkie said:

Won't deny that Rafa got this one wrong, assuming he had anything to do with it (likewise Murphy, which is the only other player that fits your criteria there), but I think the bolded part is a very generous way of putting it - certainly once we were in the PL. He didn't know what he had to work with money-wise and the recent Chris Waugh article in The Athletic revealed that the way we select players we ultimately bid for is pretty unorthodox. I imagine Muto was well down the list but the targets above him simply weren't attainable if we were to comply with the ludicrous policy, so Rafa just settle for what he could get. 

I agree on the budge however he still decided what players were brought in and shipped out. His frustration was that he wanted a set budget and not this transient shite the club are peddling.