The Magpie Group

Heron

I suppose if we've got a percentage of the support who are adamant that the key is staying away, and a percentage of the support that are adamant they'll never leave, with day-trippers filling the gaps, we'll never be truly united against Ashley as a fanbase.

Just seen a bloke on the metro with a wonga top on carrying a massive sports direct bag.

I love all the people coming up with suggestions for someone else to commit a crime. If you think it's a good idea to attack Mike Ashley, kill him, rob from his shops, do a 'Buddhist monk setting himself on fire in protest of the Vietnam war' style act then do it yourself.

Like I said the other day, people could buy one share in Sports Direct (currently £4.04) and then always vote against every board recommendation. Shareholders can also attend the AGM and give them a hard time. That would really annoy and disrupt him.

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/GB00B1QH8P22GBGBXSTMM.html

I love all the people coming up with suggestions for someone else to commit a crime. If you think it's a good idea to attack Mike Ashley, kill him, rob from his shops, do a 'Buddhist monk setting himself on fire in protest of the Vietnam war' style act then do it yourself.

Like I said the other day, people could buy one share in Sports Direct (currently £4.04) and then always vote against every board recommendation. Shareholders can also attend the AGM and give them a hard time. That would really annoy and disrupt him.

https://www.londonstockexchange.com/exchange/prices-and-markets/stocks/summary/company-summary/GB00B1QH8P22GBGBXSTMM.html

I take it you’ll be at the next AGM yourself?

No but London based mags can be. You don't have to attend the AGM in person, you can just down vote every board recommendation from the comfort of your own home and all for around £5.

No but London based mags can be. You don't have to attend the AGM in person, you can just down vote every board recommendation from the comfort of your own home and all for around £5.

I'll have some of that.

Guest chopey

I'll have some of that.

You'll need some way to buy the share Barclays currently charge £11 for this service

Wasn’t a suggestion, just wondering why those who do commit crimes didn’t try to change tactics.

Think I’m going to go with your buy shares plan along with other forms of protest.

Holding shares entitles you to sttend the AGM and ask pertinent questions. Bird and Caulkin did this but didnt frame their questions well and made them easy to bat away.

The voting rights are pretty worthless as this is a company with 500m+ shares outstanding so they wont have any impact. SD regularly gets into scraps with institutional shareholders over governance (such as appointing unqualified in-laws to senior positions) but with Ashley holding >50pc he still rules the roost on most issues.

Holding shares entitles you to sttend the AGM and ask pertinent questions. Bird and Caulkin did this but didnt frame their questions well and made them easy to bat away.

The voting rights are pretty worthless as this is a company with 500m+ shares outstanding so they wont have any impact. SD regularly gets into scraps with institutional shareholders over governance (such as appointing unqualified in-laws to senior positions) but with Ashley holding >50pc he still rules the roost on most issues.

Thing is though, even though they can bat it away, if we keep getting at them in every meeting then it will become tedious for them, also potentially derailing key issues, especially if some sort of crises was to come up.

Thing is though, even though they can bat it away, if we keep getting at them in every meeting then it will become tedious for them, also potentially derailing key issues, especially if some sort of crises was to come up.

Not sure viable/legal/practical it is BUT if we have a canny number of fans rocking up and just asking about nufc then it becomes an issue for Ashley/other significant shareholders.

The moment we make it a problem for SD is the moment I believe he'll get us sold.

Right now owning us is easy and it benefits SD, if we can flip that and make it uncomfortable and hindrance to SD then hopefully we'll be rid of him.

You cant ask about NUFC though, it had to be about SD. And the dealings SD have with NUFC are not really material relative to the size of SD, so those questions are easy to gloss over. They dont have to give answers to every minute detail of the business, just what could be reasonably required for investors to be informed.

An organised movement for Newcastle Fans to keep buying shares in sports direct over and over with the sole intention of fucking it up would be brilliant, but I doubt people would be happy to throw there money away to do it

I might be being thick here, but isn't buying shares in SD effectively GIVING money to SD, which is something we don't want to do?

Yes and no.

When a club is initially listed on the stock market then yes the money will go to the company and those selling the shares (usually the founder and investors). From then on it’s pretty much a case of only those who are selling shares who make money off the back of it (and any brokerage firm), that is unless new shares are released.

As Ashley though MASH holdings is the largest shareholder of SD at a rate which gives him majority control it’s unlikely he’ll see any money from the sale of shares unless he’s willing to sell more shares which would then mean that he owns a minority of the shares.

As the majority shareholder he’ll likely gain his money from dividends (voluntary payouts to shareholders) and wages for being a board members or holding an official position within the company.

It is possibly that buying shares in SD would value the company more meaning his shares are valued more (meaningless when he won’t sell them) and would hit a target that would mean SD would payout dividends, if fans were to buy shares it likely wouldn’t be enough to trigger enough of an increase in share price (which would be artificially inflated for short period of time because of people buying shares) and the fans would likely buy shares at different times meaning their is no real significant point of increase in the purchase of shares.

All in all with each NUFC fan shareholder having the ability to go to AGM’s and having voting rights (which means nothing because Ashley can outvote everyone) it would be more of a hassle to Ashley and SD shareholders having us buy shares than a benefit.