Are Old People Cooler Than Their Kids ?

Guest The Little Waster

Guest The Little Waster

Mostly in reference to music . Would've loved an i phone and all the tech todays kids take for granted , but my generation definitely had the greatest music ( im 55 )

Guest The Little Waster

Whoever you ask will just say their generation is best.

Well yes , but they'll have to back it up with an argument

Guest The Little Waster

I don't know, I'm not 55 but he's definitely right about their music tastes. :lol: :thup:

I get the feeling that music is just a background thing these days ... The kids ( lol ) are more interested in their phones or facebook their xboxes etc . When i was young music was pretty much all we had - it was the be all and end all . Kids today don't even buy  music ...that would've been seen as mental . In my day ( the 70s ) i would go without a school dinner all week and save the 50ps up so i could go and buy an lp on the Saturday

We don't really seem to have subcultures anymore. Mods, rockers, punks, teddy boys, goths, hippies, bikers, hip hop etc. I suppose hip-hop kids are still popular like but it's been massively gentrified.

Even Charvers seem to have largely died out to the TopMan radgies.

Guest The Little Waster

Well yes , but they'll have to back it up with an argument

You didn't?

Lol good spot . Ok , just based on music ( 70s clothes were minging , but then fashion , who gave a fuck ?) Some of the bands i saw ; Motorhead ( Fast Eddie version ) Thin Lizzy , Led Zeppelin ( Knebworth ) UFO , Scorpions , Whitesnake ( before they went hair metal ) Rory Gallagher , Rush , Rainbow , Todd Rundgren ...

Guest Open_C

The problem i have here is that I completely agree with your assertion Little Waster, but all those bands are terrible [emoji38]

Guest The Little Waster

The problem i have here is that I completely agree with your assertion but all those bands are terrible [emoji38]

Lol but there was so much variety throughout the 70s from glam to punk , prog , rock , metal , singer /songwriters , mor , aor , folk etc

Theres a reason theres no longer a chart show ( TOTP ) and its because popular music is pretty much dead at this point

Guest The Little Waster

'Old cunt not liking next generation's preferred music' shocker

Not an argument ...

Guest The Little Waster

'Old cunt not liking next generation's preferred music' shocker

Not an argument ...

I'm not entertaining the "argument."

Lol still not an argument

Guest Open_C

The plain truth of it is quite simply that the guff the bairn listens to is shite, as is the shite that you posted LW. My stuff is cool though :thup:

888.jpg

All joking aside there has of course been a change in the way music, film and such is consumed. While you would immerse yourself in an album 30 years ago you barely listen to a full album these days. There's just so, so much on offer for free that you can't really be arsed to immerse yourself in an album if it's even faintly mediocre. I don't think music is better or worse now than it was say 30 years ago but there's definitely a ridiculous amount of garbage out there. Mainly on account of there being so much out there in general. Any old cunt can record and release an album with minimal fuss. That said there's also a lot of class stuff out there, it's just not as mainstream as it used to be, you kinda have to dig for it a little bit. The sheer amount of garbage music out there, the diluted shit that kind of all sounds the same and leaves nothing and can be heard everywhere, is mass-produced in an almost scientific manner meant to appeal to the lowest common denominator. That's sort of why the quality of the music that surrounds you day to day seems to have regressed.

Regarding the subcultures point: It begs the question though, within those subcultures in the 60s/70s/80s, was the music even the most important thing to everyone? I'd argue probably not and instead was a 'background thing' in Waster's words to the fashion and having something to identify with, much in the way kids nowadays do with social media profiles and rap/hip-hop led fashion and lifestyle - because it's the done thing.

In terms of the 'good music' argument and it being generationally defined, I'm 25, and from around 16/17 my music taste has been largely similar to what it is now - music impacts and has impacted my life quite a lot, and I'd say I'm more passionate, engaged and knowledgable about good music spanning from say the 40's/50's to now than most people double my age (also worth adding this passion was very much brought about by myself and not necessarily inherited from parents). Some of my favourite artists at the moment are The Clash, Bruce Springsteen, Siouxsie and the Banshees, Talking Heads, David Bowie, Brian Eno, Peter Gabriel, Philip Glass, Jeff Buckley, The Cure amongst a ton of others. Despite that, many artists from the recent decade or two are comfortably as good as any of those just listed, off the top of my head I would include Burial, Aphex Twin, Arcade Fire, Wu Lyf, Lost Under Heaven, Boards of Canada, Godspeed You! Black Emperor, Max Richter, Andy Stott and I could go on and on.

With the access people have nowadays to entire discographies of nearly every artist to ever release music, lots of young people do have great interest in good artists. In many ways genres are becoming less defined by subculture/aimed at specific crowds and that's a good thing. You have supposed 'rap kids' listening old rock, pop & soul classics (such as Hall & Oates & Nina Simone) being sampled by increasingly innovative producers digging deep into the vaults for interesting cuts & you have metal fans listening to new experimental rap stuff like Death Grips. Lines are more blurred than ever and what you get is a more eclectic and ultimately more interesting and engaged music listening & creating landscape. I think there's much to suggest young people are becoming more educated about music now than ever in the past, and it's only going to breed more good music.

If you just look at what is coming out in the charts and make an assessment of the current state of affairs in music, then I'd suggest that to be very foolish, as great music is being released at a brilliant rate, all whilst some of the old stuff is as relevant as ever too; where many artists and releases regain popularity to enjoy second waves of exposure/relevancy and get young listeners excited just as they would have in the 60's/70's/80's etc. It's a point worth noting as well that it's very easy to look back on decades gone by and forget that terrible, awful music was released in the past too. It's just more easily swept under the rug when it's not on the radio or on commercials and shoved down your throat every day like the modern stuff. I'd also like to add that with the current state of politics and general social affairs worldwide but particularly in the west, and the (often dubbed) unprecedented levels of engagement from young people (however futile you may perceive some of it to be) can only be a good thing in terms of inspiring interesting new music that is thoughtful and has purpose.

The plain truth of it is quite simply that the guff the bairn listens to is shite, as is the shite that you posted LW. My stuff is cool though :thup:

http://i.imgur.com/8MWmBTW.gif

We don't really seem to have subcultures anymore. Mods, rockers, punks, teddy boys, goths, hippies, bikers, hip hop etc. I suppose hip-hop kids are still popular like but it's been massively gentrified.

Even Charvers seem to have largely died out to the TopMan radgies.

Guess I'm sheltered living in the sticks but on this note was really odd seeing a young (16-18-20+) goth lass tottering home on 6 inch steel heel massive boots ask in black in the belting sunshine about 10am the other day [emoji38]

Guest The Little Waster

" within those subcultures in the 60s/70s/80s, was the music even the most important thing to everyone? I'd argue probably not and instead was a 'background thing' in Waster's words to the fashion and having something to identify with, much in the way kids nowadays do with social media profiles and rap/hip-hop led fashion and lifestyle - because it's the done thing. '

Nah , theres a definite difference between then and now ... music was pretty much all we had , it meant everything