Federico Fernández (now playing for Elche)

sempuki

One thing I would say is Rafa definitely knew a good defender when he saw one. Schar and Fede were very good signings. I think Fedes legs are gone for this level especially the high press that Eddie plays but I'm sure he'd be fine in La Liga for a team that plays slower tempo.

Edited by Menace

:ninja:

[emoji38] Happy to see him get some recognition, he's always been underappreciated imo :aww:

Do find it a bit of a mystery how little we've seen of him in the last season or so, the game against Norwich last season sticks out especially. My enduring memory of him will probably be marshalling the defence and being an absolute brick wall following Clark's fuckup which brought us down to 10. 

5 minutes ago, Barnes23 said:

:ninja:

[emoji38] Happy to see him get some recognition, he's always been underappreciated imo :aww:

Do find it a bit of a mystery how little we've seen of him in the last season or so, the game against Norwich last season sticks out especially. My enduring memory of him will probably be marshalling the defence and being an absolute brick wall following Clark's fuckup which brought us down to 10. 

Forgot how good he was in that game, Joelinton obviously steals the limelight but he was class when he came on, I think there was a good couple of years towards the end of Rafa era and the start of Bruce era where he was easily our best CB, his positioning was second to none, and I lost count of how many times he'd make a goal saving last ditch tackle. He has always been an honest pro who has given everything on the pitch, and Howe has been nothing but complimentary of him in the background, and how quietly influential he was in the changing room last season, so he seems a good egg.

I think the reason he hasn't featured under Howe is due to his injury record, he got another month long knock after the Norwich game, and by the time he got back to full fitness Burn and Schar had established themselves, and we still had Lascelles as backup, so it was just and unfortunate circumstance he found himself in. Its just conjecture but given his age, the constant injuries and niggles it wouldn't surprise me if they starred to have an impact to his overall fitness and physicality, and he was just not able to get himself to a point for starting Premier League games.

He's honestly been a great signing, and real honest pro, and great value for the price we paid, wish him well for the rest of his career.

4 hours ago, pubteam said:

Never understood why he never got more game time. He always seemed like a very composed player.

Still don't understand why more teams weren't in for him. I can only assume he's seen as a troublemaker off the pitch, but on it he was a warrior.

43 minutes ago, Flip said:

Good riddance. More Brazilians (and Mexicans) less Argies please.

Hide contents

:aww: Good luck to him!

Good luck to him, he’s never really let us down, helped keep us up in the PL under Rafa with his defending, character and attitude.