Nottingham Forest 3-1 Newcastle United - 29/08/18 - post match from page 25

Greg

It's started like every relegation season. Dodgy summer transfer window, crises off the pitch, players looking shell shocked even against opposition who are nothing special, a lack of ability to create or score goals. Mike Ashley is nothing, if not consistent...ly awful.

It’s also started like last season when we started with a couple of defeats and a cup exit against Forest.

We won 3 games in a row after our second PL game though, not much chance of that happening with the fixtures we have coming up, I just worry with not too many winnable games coming up the damage could be done and we might struggle to recover.

Theres every chance we could be firmly rooted in the bottom 3 by October.

The situation is arguably more dire than last season, but Jesus Christ...has anyone learned anything? We will still likely be one of the tougher struggling teams to beat, and once again our GD will probably be healthier than other relegation candidates.

Likely playing right into Ashley's bloated hands, and his horse shit media campaign. Just absolutely staggering that a few on here are really that simple. A few parallels to Trumpism.

Guest Howaythetoon

The situation is arguably more dire than last season, but Jesus Christ...has anyone learned anything? We will still likely be one of the tougher struggling teams to beat, and once again our GD will probably be healthier than other relegation candidates.

Likely playing right into Ashley's bloated hands, and his horse shit media campaign. Just absolutely staggering that a few on here are really that simple. A few parallels to Trumpism.

Yay, I can’t wait for the moment we are mathematically safe from relegation. Just wish the season would end now so we don’t have to worry in the meantime and can enjoy the moment early.

Being serious for a moment, while we ended up 10th in the end, we were in the bottom 3 come the festive period and we didn’t finish the season exactly strongly after we were mathematically safe.

Since then we haven’t strengthened the side at all, are down on points in terms of games played and worryingly players don’t look like they are fighting every inch for the cause or as up for it as they were last season. This topped with a manager who in his last year is likely to inadvertently be unable to extract the kind of commitment from his players or some of them that can prove the difference.

Again I think we will stay up, but only just and I’d find it weird if anyone was calm, collected and confident about anything right now, fans, manager and players alike.

Once again we are in limbo and pissng against the wind, relying on all kids of thins just to stay up. Past experience has told me not to rely on anyone wearing black and white and for all of Rafa’s qualities, things don’t look good right now.

Concerned.com

I'm calm and collected, but not confident. I do expect us to stay up though. And I don't expect it to be pretty. What I do expect is that Rafa to walk away at the end of the season, but I also think that Ashley and his cronies are trying to hound him out right now. I find it maddening that once again, in a mirror of last season, a few "telling it like it is" elements of this board, and a fair few more in other places, are flipping into the same ridiculous hysteria of last season.

This is Groundhog Day.

Guest Howaythetoon

I'm calm and collected, but not confident. I do expect us to stay up though. And I don't expect it to be pretty. What I do expect is that Rafa to walk away at the end of the season, but I also think that Ashley and his cronies are trying to hound him out right now. I find it maddening that once again, in a mirror of last season, a few "telling it like it is" elements of this board, and a fair few more in other places, are flipping into the same ridiculous hysteria of last season.

This is Groundhog Day.

Aye, now is not the time for hysteria, but there are enough signs to trigger the alarm bells even so early in the season. Inevitably people are on edge and opinions will sway wildly throughout the season no matter what. We just all need to try and keep our heads. Myself included :lol:

I can actually see Rafa signing a new deal by the way even with Ashley still as owner and he himself happier if he walked or left. Rafa staying keeps the fans content though.

I’m now of the opinion that Rafa is quite content to manage at this kind of level and more than happy to just stabilise a mid-table position at NUFC.

I think investment in facilities is more important to him than an investment in players and critical to the development of players, treatment of injuries and recovery between games which he values quit highly.

He’s won it all and doesn’t seem driven to be the best or to compete with that type of top managers and teams now. I genuinely think he’s more than happy to be back to where it all began for him, back to his roots as a PE teacher who gets more professional and human satisfaction coaching and developing players than wining trophies or European football.

That’s not to say he won’t strive for us to be the best we can be under him given whatever resources at his disposal and I’m sure if we were taken over and he was handed serious money we would see the a diffrent Rafa and with that better results, improved football and loftier ambitions.

But I honestly believe if MA invested just enough in facilities, allowed him complete control over who leaves and joins even if our budget was the same as he’s had to use this far or limited co pared to others, he would happily sign a long term contract to keep managing us.

Rafa is a teacher more than a football manager, that’s where his true passion lies and something he probably gets more satisfaction from and feels he can have a meaningful impact on without needing lots of money to achieve.

That or he’s a sado masochist, mind aren’t we all when it comes to our club :lol: