Man City v Newcastle Utd. pre match thoughts 5.30pm kick off 01/09/18 (BT)

Guest covmag

If we don't show up is it just a 3-0 defeat? no fine?

We'd be fined and disqualified from the Premier League, all matches already played against us would be void for the teams who faced us and count as 3-0 victories. We'd finish last with 0-0-38 and a GD of -114.

If we don't show up is it just a 3-0 defeat? no fine?

We'd be fined and disqualified from the Premier League, all matches already played against us would be void for the teams who faced us and count as 3-0 victories. We'd finish last with 0-0-38 and a GD of -114.

Not so bad then.

Can we just not? A default 3-0 defeat will likely be a smaller defeat than we'd get playing anyway.

Guest Howaythetoon

You can frustrate Man City with 11 men behind the ball, but you will basically be handing them 3 points and make the game an excercise of keeping the score down if you do so or make such an outcome a certainty.

They are a machine who will eventually wear you down, tire you out and carve you open. It’s not just because they have amazing players in every position which leads to such enevitably, it’s more down to the fact they never deviate from how they play which is a relentless quick pass and move sequence of combination play between all players between all areas of the pitch.

It’s that which turned Pep’s team he managed in his first season from finishing 3rd or 4th whatever it was to run away champions and 98% unbeatable home or away.

So how do you combat it? I’d usually be loathe to use Wolves as an example because it was a one off game and they could have easily been thrashed but more importantly they could have also beaten City and at times made them look beatable and very vulnerable throughout the entire game.

And they did that not by being gung ho either. I’d like to see us take a similar approach even if we end up on the wrong side of a 4 goal thrashing because I can see us being beat all the same by sitting back even if it takes 70 or so minutes for them to inflict such a scoreline.

Easier said than done of course and in Rafa I still trust. I’ll probably take no interest in this other than to find out the final result and maybe stay away from here and any other post match reaction.

I’d take a draw right now mind, even if we put in the most negative performance of all time and didn’t have any possession or shots.

If anyone can get something against a team like this it’s Rafa, although nowadays given what he has to work with it’s akin to asking someone to lap the Nurburgring in first gear with flat tyres.

You can frustrate Man City with 11 men behind the ball, but you will basically be handing them 3 points and make the game an excercise of keeping the score down if you do so or make such an outcome a certainty.

They are a machine who will eventually wear you down, tire you out and carve you open. It’s not just because they have amazing players in every position which leads to such enevitably, it’s more down to the fact they never deviate from how they play which is a relentless quick pass and move sequence of combination play between all players between all areas of the pitch.

It’s that which turned Pep’s team he managed in his first season from finishing 3rd or 4th whatever it was to run away champions and 98% unbeatable home or away.

So how do you combat it? I’d usually be loathe to use Wolves as an example because it was a one off game and they could have easily been thrashed but more importantly they could have also beaten City and at times made them look beatable and very vulnerable throughout the entire game.

And they did that not by being gung ho either. I’d like to see us take a similar approach even if we end up on the wrong side of a 4 goal thrashing because I can see us being beat all the same by sitting back even if it takes 70 or so minutes for them to inflict such a scoreline.

Easier said than done of course and in Rafa I still trust. I’ll probably take no interest in this other than to find out the final result and maybe stay away from here and any other post match reaction.

I’d take a draw right now mind, even if we put in the most negative performance of all time and didn’t have any possession or shots.

If anyone can get something against a team like this it’s Rafa, although nowadays given what he has to work with it’s akin to asking someone to lap the Nurburgring in first gear with flat tyres.

Would bite your hand off if you offered a draw now. :lol:

To get anything we need copious luck. Silva and Aguero whom usually have field days against us need to play poorly and we need to put in minimum 10/10 performances. It just won't happen. We won't get humiliated though. Rafa will see to that. We were decent I thought at the Etihad last season, though it was a tough watch at times. Which is what this will be.

Only two questions about this match, who to triple captain and why the FUCK it's deemed worthy of being televised.

Aguero and no idea. Man City away in the league has been on TV 4 of the last 6 trips. Aggregate score of 25-3. :thup: Mainly down to Pards, licky lips and the carpet retail blogger.