The Audiobook thread?

Mike

:lol: Let's give it a shot, yeah?

I fucking love audiobooks, and am always on the lookout for anything good. Currently listening to Monte Cristo read by Bill Homewood and he's fucking killing it.

Anyone else this much of a fucking nerd?

Guest firetotheworks

Recently got Jordan Peterson's book through Audible because I didn't really want to pay for it and couldn't really be arsed to go through the actual process of reading it.

I don't know if it's just because it's read, but it's a rambling, meandering mess imo, and his hard on for talking about left in the context of a self help book feels shoe-horned and bitter, which is interesting considering he often talks about the pitfalls of life's decisions and how certain ones can turn you into someone that's bitter, spiteful, etc. There's also a section where he gets choked up and almost cries while reading his own words, which I found really narcissistic, unfomfortable and cringey to listen to, not least because when he gets choked up he sounds like Ernie of Bert and Ernie. :lol:

So yeah, give that a go if you fancy it. :lol:

Bill Bryson's a Short History of Nearly Everything is a really good one on audiobook.

I use audiobooks a lot when i'm at the gym, driving or sometimes just pottering around doing stuff and things. I follow my usual book routine of rotating through Sci-Fi, History and Scandi Noir Cop stuff. I've done a lot of Peter F Hamilton stuff , overall good production but 'The Great North Road' was a bit painful at times, being set mostly in Newcastle (i know, who knew, sci-fi in Newcastle) I found some attempts at accents and place names a bit painful. I would recommend 'The Templars' by Dan Jones and 'Leonardo Da Vinci' by Walter Isaacson, the last one narrated by Alfred Molina.

Power of Now is good.

The Alan Partridge radio shows are available as audiobook as well, top top comedy.

Stillness Speaks & A New Earth too :thup: Pretty sure they're all on youtube in full, the only audiobooks I've ever listened to and likely will ever listen to, and that's simply because Eckhart Tolle's voice is soothing.

Much prefer physical books for everything else.

Recently got Jordan Peterson's book through Audible because I didn't really want to pay for it and couldn't really be arsed to go through the actual process of reading it.

I don't know if it's just because it's read, but it's a rambling, meandering mess imo, and his hard on for talking about left in the context of a self help book feels shoe-horned and bitter, which is interesting considering he often talks about the pitfalls of life's decisions and how certain ones can turn you into someone that's bitter, spiteful, etc. There's also a section where he gets choked up and almost cries while reading his own words, which I found really narcissistic, unfomfortable and cringey to listen to, not least because when he gets choked up he sounds like Ernie of Bert and Ernie. :lol:

So yeah, give that a go if you fancy it. :lol:

Bill Bryson's a Short History of Nearly Everything is a really good one on audiobook.

Some great moments in that book, though... and some wonderful, lyrical sentences you could sit with for a while and think over. Think they're more conducive to having them there in front of you though, to go back over - I imagine with the audiobook they come and then they're gone, and you carried away by the rhythm of the following sentences.

A tick in the box for reading physically imo.