Leicester City owner amongst 5 killed in helicopter crash at King Power stadium

Guest pricedoutoftoon

More from Match of the Day floor manager Andrew James working at Leicester v West Ham:

“It could have landed on the TV compound where there are all the wagons but I would estimate it landed not much more than 100 yards outside the boundary of the King Power Stadium and whatever is there. I’m led to believe it’s factories rather than houses. For the first two minutes it was grey smoke billowing up into the air but within no more than two minutes there were thick flames.

“There was fire and two policeman ran down the road towards me. I was in the car at the time and I just pulled over to ring in. These policemen were shouting at everyone to get out of the way. I did hear one bang which sounded like a canister exploding. Upon police advice, I moved away and I am now in the stadium media suite along with probably 20 or 30 mostly newspaper journalists and a guy from Talksport.

“I didn’t personally see it come down. I saw it in the air, I saw it hovering 50 feet above the stadium and thought nothing off it. But it wasn’t on fire at that point. I’ve heard some people say it was in flames in the air. I don’t think it was. It was normal in the air but after it spiraled to the ground and hit the deck that’s when the flames started.

“The only thing I have heard from stewards in the tunnel – that’s as official as it gets right now – the chairman was here today but we don’t know if he was on the helicopter. The chairman’s son – they normally come together – wasn’t here. There are unconfirmed reports the chairman was on the helicopter. The local press agency took a picture of the director’s box and he wasn’t there but he could have gone to the loo or stayed inside for a drink. I’m hoping that is the sort of thing the club will confirm shortly.”

fake twitter account

That's an hour and a half ago, so I doubt that's true.

Absolute tripe, cause of death would only be established after a post mortem and would only be public after an inquest.

Don't want to be awful here but modern helicopters don't fall out of the sky without good reason, I'd be amazed if this was mechanical failure

That's two football owners of British football clubs who have (probably) died in helicopter crashes in modern times. I know the odds are probably miniscule, but I wouldn't be climbing in one in a hurry if I was one, in the future. Sad day for football.

‘He told BBC Radio Leicester: "The engine stopped and I turned round and it made a bit of a whirring noise - like a grinding noise.

"The helicopter just went silent, I turned round and it was just spinning, out of control... and then there was a big bang... and then [a] big fireball."’

:kasper: jesus

Glad to see the club’s Twitter join the messages of support.

Quite a feeling looking through them, wondering if I’d see one from NUFC.

I know there's only so much you can say but I found it a bit weird that every club's message is almost identical. They put loads of them in an article on the BBC website and it's just the same tweet ten times with a different club badge next to it.

Glad to see the club’s Twitter join the messages of support.

Quite a feeling looking through them, wondering if I’d see one from NUFC.

I know there's only so much you can say but I found it a bit weird that every club's message is almost identical. They put loads of them in an article on the BBC website and it's just the same tweet ten times with a different club badge next to it.

Should’ve included the Man Utd fanzine, they’re buzzing.