Miguel Almirón

Deuce

Started and finished the move too. His tenacity is one of his best traits. Someone else (Son, or Kane, or Havertz) would've taken a dive when Maitland-Niles did the doggystyle barge in the box, but Miggy just kept his eye on the ball, skipped over him and very calmly slotted it home. Absolute baller.

57 minutes ago, Emotic said:

Started and finished the move too. His tenacity is one of his best traits. Someone else (Son, or Kane, or Havertz) would've taken a dive when Maitland-Niles did the doggystyle barge in the box, but Miggy just kept his eye on the ball, skipped over him and very calmly slotted it home. Absolute baller.

Nailed it

Is anyone else petrified that this will end at any moment? I understand it can't keep going on at this rate.

If/when he drops off, I hope his stats only drop to 50% or so from where they are now, he'd still be outstanding. I'd snap your hand off for 1 goal in every 3 or 4 games. 

I just hope it doesn't go back to no assists or goals for long periods. I want something to have clicked permanently in his head.

21 minutes ago, Weezertron said:

Is anyone else petrified that this will end at any moment? I understand it can't keep going on at this rate.

If/when he drops off, I hope his stats only drop to 50% or so from where they are now, he'd still be outstanding. I'd snap your hand off for 1 goal in every 3 or 4 games. 

I just hope it doesn't go back to no assists or goals for long periods. I want something to have clicked permanently in his head.

I'm not too worried about it, even if he doesn't score the rest of the season he's on what, 9 or 10? We would have taken that number from any of our players other than Wilson before the season. Plus he's scored quite a few match winners and key goals in this weird little pre-WC stretch to put us in this insane position.

Obviously I hope he keeps it going and at least gets a few more, but everything at this point is just gravy, especially with ASM and Isak coming back.

42 minutes ago, Miercoles said:

I'm not too worried about it, even if he doesn't score the rest of the season he's on what, 9 or 10? We would have taken that number from any of our players other than Wilson before the season. Plus he's scored quite a few match winners and key goals in this weird little pre-WC stretch to put us in this insane position.

Obviously I hope he keeps it going and at least gets a few more, but everything at this point is just gravy, especially with ASM and Isak coming back.

I just want the best for him though. I’ve been pro-Almiron throughout. I want it for him as much as for us, ya know.

100% with you on that one, I've been a Miggy apologist since he signed so I'm so happy to see him playing well.

I still maintain that if that chip that went off the bar on his debut had gone in we may have seen a very different Almiron the last few years.

I would also say that the best part about Miggy is that even if his goal scoring slows down (and I mean 1 in 1 kind of has to) you'll still get all of his other contributions, which are massive especially for Eddie's system. He's just not the type of character to check out if he gets into a slump, he'll bust his ass every minute either way. 

I am sure his confidence will dip at some point and scoring rate will drop, but it is important that this season he is starting from much further up the pitch, has Trippier and Bruno feeding him balls (second half of last season Tripps was out for a while and we were breaking from deeper in general). He is getting more opportunities, I am moderately confident Howe has raised the 'floor' even though goal a game is completely unsustainable. 

3 hours ago, Optimistic Nut said:

If he eventually levels out as a 1 in 4/5 winger then he's class for us.

To be honest, I'd disagree with that somewhat. He's almost functioning as a striker for us right now, insofar as how important his scoring is to his overall attacking game (obviously, his defensive game is great). If and when his scoring dries up a bit, I would hope his goals are replaced by assists...

Miggy's celebration on Sunday was akin to Everton at home. Wheeled away like a boss. I want more of the same this week from him if he can bang in a goal or two. Would absolutely love a Miggy howitzer in the first half as he peels away like "ahhhhh, yeah, fuck off I got this" 

On 07/11/2022 at 15:31, Weezertron said:

Not really. Always felt like he should be scoring a lot more goals, but somewhere down the line he became more of a wing back than an actual forward, I think Bruce played a big part in stifling his natural instincts. Miggy's his own worst enemy at times with his work rate, but Howe has been canny enough to realise he had a lot more in his locker, and has brought back the goals radar he had at his former club.

I've stood by Miggy through everything, his tenacity and work rate showed there was always a better player in there than was wasted under Bruce. However, I could never have predicted this, he's on a completely other level. I would have snapped your hand off at a Diaby in the summer, even just to have Miggys pace from the bench against tired legs, right now no one could dislodge him from that starting place and long may it continue. Absolutely deserved GOTM and POTM.