Miguel Almirón

Deuce

He's not a stereotypical South American player, in that his chief asset is his work-rate rather than technique. The pass he made for the fourth goal was great, but generally his passing his average at best.

Fully deserves his place in the side, of course.

Taking into account Bruces´quotes the other day, looks like we won´t be getting many new players this summer as he was on about bosmans...

Damn right about a new midfield needed. I would probably leave hayden and old longstaff tin as they have been good at times and with a new manager (dreams), they would probably do a lot better.

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, buzza said:

P.S. Almiron is irreplaceable for me at moment. Nobody in the whole squad puts in a shift like he does

The sad thing is, he has to, because we are so deficient. Look at how he performed eventually in the latter part of Rafa’s time here, he was an exciting attacking player, now he’s Ritchie with a bit more quality having to put monumental shifts in defensively which totally takes away from his own natural attacking game. 

Guest HTT II
6 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

If Willock goes back to Arsenal and we don't improve the midfield dramatically, it's another relegation battle for me.

It’s that if Bruce stays regardless of recruitment IMO.

Yeah, even ASM was playing like a shadow of himself after an extended run in the team earlier in the season; everyone gets infected by the malaise once it takes hold. It's only after coming back fresh and unchained from the terrible form and performances that he's hit top gear again. I'm sure the same would happen to Willock. 

He really is one footed.  Not really much of a complaint, as it seems to apply to a lot of players and it is more noticeable with lefties, I think.   

I have just noticed a few times, that our already slow passing, slows down even more when Miggy has to have extra touches, or angle himself so he can play a 5-10 yard sideways pass on his left foot.  

It might be one for another thread.  But it always amazes me how top players won't even attempt the most basic stuff with their weaker foot. 

I do really like him, though.  One of our top performers this year and I love his workrate. 

Guest HTT II

No excuse for any pro to be one footed, it’s easily rectified with practice. My 7 year old is genuinely two footed because he practices and most importantly has been given the confidence to use his other foot. I practiced using a wall for hours on end a day and my left foot is stronger than my right.

Edited by HTT II

Guest HTT II
17 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

He plays like a kid on the playground, occasionally that can be a good thing, but he needs to be more streetwise at times. He runs down dead ends away from support too much.

Not that he will get any guidance from Brewcy.

Good analysis RE him playing like a street footballer. 

24 minutes ago, HTT II said:

No excuse for any pro to be one footed, it’s easily rectified with practice. My 7 year old is genuinely two footed because he practices and most importantly has been given the confidence to use his other foot. I practiced using a wall for hours on end a day and my left foot is stronger than my right.

Loads of Premier League players are one-footed mind, not sure why. I guess it never gets focused on when they're younger if they're good enough with the one foot.

Guest HTT II
5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

Loads of Premier League players are one-footed mind, not sure why. I guess it never gets focused on when they're younger if they're good enough with the one foot.

My boy does one to one stuff with a former NUFC academy player and NUFC’s current under 9s/8s/7s coach, he’s brilliant, he encourages using “the other foot” as much as possible and refuses to say ‘weaker foot’, since the 1 on 1s my boy’s left foot is all natural, it’s all about trusting it and having the confidence to use it and that’s what isn’t encouraged even in the pro game, play to strengths, do basics well etc. is usual mantra. Kids especially when playing need taken out of their comfort zone, they need to play every position, be challenged and allowed to make mistakes and have weaknesses being told and worked on, being one footed, at any level is an inexcusable weakness, however, because again it’s easily rectified. If I, a shitty 41 year old playing street football and with my mates all my life is genuinely two footed and my 7 year old who has only been playing 2 years is the same, it says a lot that so many pro players are one footed. 

Edited by HTT II

5 minutes ago, AyeDubbleYoo said:

They're probably a decent level with the other foot in comparison to sunday league players though. It's just the elite levels where their weaker foot is more obvious.

Guest HTT II
Just now, Shearergol said:

They're probably a decent level with the other foot in comparison to sunday league players though. It's just the elite levels where their weaker foot is more obvious.

That’s an astute point, but I’ve found watching grassroots footy even at men’s level, a lot of players use their other foot a lot more regardless of how good or bad they are than pro/elite players. I do wonder if a lot of players play in the comfort zone, and are so programmed to play a certain way/do things a certain way it takes away from their overall game when it comes to playing another way, using the other foot etc. Coaching plays a big part too, that’s why a Rafa is someone any player should love to work with to improve their game and even tactical knowledge and physical fitness etc.

Guest HTT II
23 minutes ago, Shearergol said:

Out of interest, who are we thinking are the most one-footed players in the league? Is it actually mainly left footed players as claimed?

Wouldn’t have a clue, I do know Joelinton isn’t even left or right footed..

8 minutes ago, ToonArmy1892 said:

Salah, Mahrez.

I mean they're scored 22 right footed goals between them (out of 161) so I think it's a bit unfair to claim they didn't develop them as juniors :lol:

Interested topic though, got me thinking about whether left footers are definitely more one-footed for some reason.