Miguel Almirón

Deuce

On 10/05/2021 at 14:33, Shearergol said:

I mean they're scored 22 right footed goals between them (out of 161) so I think it's a bit unfair to claim they didn't develop them as juniors :lol:

Interested topic though, got me thinking about whether left footers are definitely more one-footed for some reason.

Lefties are rare. They can ply a skill that 9/10 men can't - proper left foot shots. Couple that with the fact that they shape their body up a little bit differently to most players they can be a bit special if they have a good touch. Their rarity probably just leads to coaches being more likely to overlook their weaknesses.

As a side note, you might've noticed that left footers are overrepresented in the brilliant dribblers category. Well, I've heard that left-handedism is regarded as a maladaption of sorts and is correlated (probably not strongly) with both genius and retardation. So it might be that left-footedness also gives one an increased chance of just being a genius in the field. For example, there might be correlation between being a lefty and having heightened peripheral vision or something.

I’m left footed/ right handed. Played Left Wing then Centre Forward and hitting a ball cleanly with my right was a real lottery. I could practice and strike the ball “mechanically” but nothing felt natural about it. I believe you’re either naturally two footed or not - you either have to think about it or you don’t. I do think that left footers hit the ball slightly differently, often seems a “better” connection somehow.

27 minutes ago, Tsunami said:

I’m left footed/ right handed. Played Left Wing then Centre Forward and hitting a ball cleanly with my right was a real lottery. I could practice and strike the ball “mechanically” but nothing felt natural about it. I believe you’re either naturally two footed or not - you either have to think about it or you don’t. I do think that left footers hit the ball slightly differently, often seems a “better” connection somehow.

Definitely is a natural thing imo. Very few professional football players are totally two footed. Think about how many alternate their feet on set pieces etc. I can remember Cazorla would take them with both, but not many others. It's hard to create that same level of accuracy, whip, power etc no matter how much you practice. I'd say they majority are competent on both feet though, if you gave Mahrez for example a shooting drill on his right foot he'd probably finish the majority of them and look fairly comfortable. In a high intense game where you're running at full speed with a second or two to think and Van Dijk trying to push you off the ball it's a different story. The lack of technique is much more magnified in a pressure situation. 

Guest HTT II
1 hour ago, Tsunami said:

Nah it’s about working the other foot to become naturally able to use it, it’s a body part, memory plays a big part and of course repetition etc. 

Everyone coming through now should at least be able to pass, dribble, control and finish with their weaker foot. The next level up is a decent cross and beyond that the natural two footers who take set pieces with either. Half the time with your weaker foot (was always my left) it’s about not over thinking it and doing things on autopilot. I could always finish or pass decent with my left foot but I’d never take a corner with it, and I wouldn’t use it if I had to hit the ball hard for whatever reason. 

On 11/05/2021 at 04:59, Inferior Acuña said:

Not sure we're one of the 'más exigentes'  - most demanding - teams in Europe :lol:

Any excuse to post this 

"Naaaaaa no way he hit the cross bar,  no way naa"

Edited by geordie_b

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/05/2021 at 21:00, Billy Pilgrim said:

Everyone coming through now should at least be able to pass, dribble, control and finish with their weaker foot. The next level up is a decent cross and beyond that the natural two footers who take set pieces with either. Half the time with your weaker foot (was always my left) it’s about not over thinking it and doing things on autopilot. I could always finish or pass decent with my left foot but I’d never take a corner with it, and I wouldn’t use it if I had to hit the ball hard for whatever reason. 

There are no naturally 2 footed players really. Glenn Hoddle is the closest I’ve seen to being two footed. He could carry the ball solely on his left or right foot. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other pro player do that. Even Beardsley, Ginola, Ronaldo, whoever... they all carry the ball on their strong foot. 

On 12/05/2021 at 13:05, Astroblack said:

Antonio Valencia is the most one footed player I’ve ever seen. Refused to use his left! 

Wayne Bridge was so left footed that he seemed scared from having the ball anywhere but on the outside of his left foot! 

• 3 weeks later...
29 minutes ago, GideonShandy said:

His goal was a pelanty given when a teammate got elbowed in the face, and the assist was him taking a corner which a teammate brilliantly headed in, but good for him anyway.

Well an assist is generally where you supply a ball for a team mate to put it in the net, but good for him

On 06/06/2021 at 19:37, Candi_Hills said:

There are no naturally 2 footed players really. Glenn Hoddle is the closest I’ve seen to being two footed. He could carry the ball solely on his left or right foot. I don’t think I’ve ever seen any other pro player do that. Even Beardsley, Ginola, Ronaldo, whoever... they all carry the ball on their strong foot. 

Hamsik takes corners off both feet