Miguel Almirón

Deuce

Think his position in yesterday’s system would be that kind of half space left of midfield slot that Willock was playing in, where he would be doing the bulk of ASM’s defensive work but would also be able to link up with him on the counter and provide overlaps.

No point in playing him on the right imo. He has no right foot and he’s not a good enough dribbler make up for it.

7 hours ago, gazza ladra said:

Disagree.. He showed more attacking intent over that 90 minutes than Fraser or Murphy have.  Watched this on a dodgy stream, but the game highlight reel is all Miggy inthe second half. So, yeah, if we're bringing Dembele or some such, he's way below the standard. But in that position, choosing between  Miggy, Fraser, or Murphy, I'll pick him every time. It's his first start for Howe. Let's see how things look when he's been de-Bruced.

I'd play Murphy ahead of Almiron on the wing every time, at least he can beat a man and put the odd decent cross in, Almiron can't.

3 minutes ago, Beth said:

I'd play Murphy ahead of Almiron on the wing every time, at least he can beat a man and put the odd decent cross in, Almiron can't.

There is an argument for both, what Almiron does is press, has a high level of energy, can carry the ball and cut across the pitch from the right side which allows overlaps and switches our play. Or he can play left like a winger. I’d start him if fit every game.

1 hour ago, George Bailey said:

He is comfortably one of better players. Possibly says more about the squad than him, but the lad starts for me when fit.

Murphy ahead of him is sheer lunacy.

He's not a winger though. If you're going to play him it has to be in the No 10 role or not at all imo.

I thought he was pretty poor on Saturday and often is when playing wide.  I think he has to play behind the striker or not at all, from the start.  I'm not really a fan of him always wanting to cut back and slow the play down.  Rarely takes his man on these days, either.  I think if he is going to play right wing, then I would genuinely prefer Fraser or perhaps Murphy.  Although I think there is an argument on those two being better as impact players off the bench for us, at present. 

His work rate and pressing is pretty impressive, mind and he was probably our top performer for a good while, despite being played in numerous positions under Brewcie.  So I think he deserves a bit of leeway and I might be being a bit harsh.

He's never been more than average on the right, it's just not his position. His only hope of being really effective is some shuffling of ASM and Joelinton, and then the question becomes "Is what Almiron brings more important than moving either/both of those two to accommodate it?"

2 minutes ago, Raconteur said:

He's never been more than average on the right, it's just not his position. His only hope of being really effective is some shuffling of ASM and Joelinton, and then the question becomes "Is what Almiron brings more important than moving either/both of those two to accommodate it?"

If we had a stronger middle we could let Joe do his thing on the right hand side and leave Almiron free in the middle, with a little bit of responsibility in backing up ASM.

Even though he played on the right, it’s not as if he was glued to the touch line.

His three chances in the game all came

from him drifting infield and adding an extra body centrally. This also drags the left back infield, creating space for whoever is at RB to overlap.

I think it’s worth persevering with for a few games to see how it develops.

Surprised at the amount of stick he gets to be honest , works his bollocks off and is always a good outlet to have , he reminds me of Jonas who also used to get a lot of unjustified stick at the time, he’s far better than Murphy and Fraser who are both absolutely shite .  

Thought it was a noticeable improvement against Burnley, played with more confidence and more attacking intent. Even to get those two shots off is much better than usual for him. Nice to see him make that outside to in run when Wilson played him through as well. 

I do think him and Joelinton should swap, but I can see how a manager would rate his ability to track back and keep him wide for that reason. 

The Jonas comparison was interesting. I loved Jonas even though he wasn't very effective, but with Almiron, it's more of a hope that he comes good as an attacker while appreciating he does good work defensively (like Jonas).

I'm also happy to acknowledge Almiron was great under Rafa, but the drop off under Bruce is astonishing.

3 hours ago, Geogaddi said:

Surprised at the amount of stick he gets to be honest , works his bollocks off and is always a good outlet to have , he reminds me of Jonas who also used to get a lot of unjustified stick at the time, he’s far better than Murphy and Fraser who are both absolutely shite .  

Good comparison tbh, Jonas was rubbish at end product, but other than that he was a great outlet. Carried the ball very effectively, and defended like a trojan. Also gave that team a bit of pace wide which was badly needed. Miggy does a similar job, but has got the potential to get a few extra goals if the manager encourages it. 

Really not sure what he offers us. Feels like we've spent £24mil on a player who just runs around a lot.

He's so one footed and rarely does anything right in the final third. I'd rather play Murphy over him

would play him in place of Willock. There's no way he'd be worse defensively and we need another left footer over that side to cover for ASM. Every time Lewis got the ball he was conpletely isolated.

3 hours ago, joeyt said:

Really not sure what he offers us. Feels like we've spent £24mil on a player who just runs around a lot.

He's so one footed and rarely does anything right in the final third. I'd rather play Murphy over him

My sentiments exactly. It's incredible that Rafa made him look decent. Legit looks like he's won a Soccer AM tournament. 

Edited by Menace

2 hours ago, Menace said:

My sentiments exactly. It's incredible that Rafa made him look decent. Legit looks like he's won a Soccer AM tournament. 

Because he had a legitimate role in the team. 

Even now, as much as I like Howe, he's just playing as a very traditional winger. That's not his game, it has never been his game. Miguel Almiron - and I'm sure fellow MLS watchers will agree - is a no 10. He needs to be in the middle of the pitch where he can make the most of the space in front of him. Shunting him out to the wrong wing where he's forced to constantly cut inside does nothing for him. He might be able to get away on the left, but the more we just ignore him as a 10 the more he's going to look shite. 

Rafa played him in the central channel of the pitch and used him to connect the play. That's his greatest strength.