Miguel Almirón

Deuce

He was briefly effective under Benitez when Perez and Rondon had forged a good relationship and Almiron could stretch teams with his pace down the left. That pace and work rate might make him a useful player for some sides, and perhaps our best option still is to play five at the back and stay compact in the midfield while using him and Saint-Maximin on the break. But Almiron is one of the worst attacking players I've seen when it comes to his use of the ball. We've never played him as a number 10 as far as I can remember, and he doesn't have the skill set to make that work in the top flight.

I don’t think he’s looked good anywhere outside of that left wing position in a front three. Him, Rondon and Perez were incredible together and all seemed to peak in that trio. 

I know he had spells as a 10 looking ok but ASM is better at him and plays all of the same roles. 

Like a few of our others players I’m surprised how shite he’s been this season mind. 

10 minutes ago, Beth said:

At least Obertan didn't cost a fortune.

Almiron is utter dogshit and its amazing he still has a few on here who try to defend him.

He's a good lad, likeable player, he could be awesome under the right management, and playing in the right position. But I personally don't think he's cut out for the Prem. 

Spain he would be good, weirdly though, if we do get relegated, I think he'd thrive in the championship, I'd stick my neck out now and even say he'd start bagging goals, maybe even with a push, double figures. Would be good to see if he could do that, and then give him the confidence to have a second coming in the Prem?

Or am I fucking barking mad.

:lol:

Edited by mighty__mag

• 3 weeks later...

Got to think he's done here, yesterday when we where looking to see out the game, his pressing and work rate would normally see him come on, but Murphy came on instead. 

Think he'll be gone in the summer, it's a shame as when he first came in he looked like he could have been some player, even if his end product wasn't amazing and he always had a smile on his face, which was infectious. Now though, he's been proper Bruce'd, doesn't offer anything, and seems to just lack a lot of confidence. Think he needs a move somewhere so he can refreshen things up. 

23 hours ago, 54 said:

Got to think he's done here, yesterday when we where looking to see out the game, his pressing and work rate would normally see him come on, but Murphy came on instead. 

Think he'll be gone in the summer, it's a shame as when he first came in he looked like he could have been some player, even if his end product wasn't amazing and he always had a smile on his face, which was infectious. Now though, he's been proper Bruce'd, doesn't offer anything, and seems to just lack a lot of confidence. Think he needs a move somewhere so he can refreshen things up. 

I thought he'd be a big player under Eddie but unfortunately for Miggy the formation we've landed on doesn't play with a number 10.

I think that's his only position. He can't play in midfield, is awful on the right because he's all left foot and doesn't have the craft or guile to cut inside ala Raphina, Mahrez etc.

He's a high pressing, high energy 10 who forces the opposition in to mistakes rather than a 10 that crafts chances. It's quite a niche skill set /  position.

I agree with you and think he'll go in the summer. I'll be sad to see him leave as under Rafa it looked like we'd unearthed a gem. Plus he works his socks off so I'll always miss players that graft for the team.

I think he could work as part of a midfield 3 if we had say Bruno/Joelinton as the two behind him, so we would have to play as a 4-2-3-1 however I don't see Howe changing to that, certainly not for him

There is definitely a player there, we say that under Rafa but a combination of being fairly rigid in terms of position and being Bruce'd has set him back massively

Ultimately if we stay up then we need to be looking to upgrade everywhere on the pitch except for Bruno, ASM and Trippier

12 minutes ago, PlymouthGeordie said:

I thought he'd be a big player under Eddie but unfortunately for Miggy the formation we've landed on doesn't play with a number 10.

I think that's his only position. He can't play in midfield, is awful on the right because he's all left foot and doesn't have the craft or guile to cut inside ala Raphina, Mahrez etc.

He's a high pressing, high energy 10 who forces the opposition in to mistakes rather than a 10 that crafts chances. It's quite a niche skill set /  position.

I agree with you and think he'll go in the summer. I'll be sad to see him leave as under Rafa it looked like we'd unearthed a gem. Plus he works his socks off so I'll always miss players that graft for the team.

Good summary, agree entirely about the number 10 thing. If we played the double pivot he'd be a good option. 

It's a shame because when you look at the resurgence of other players, you'd have to think that Miggy could go through a similar process, and possibly start to look a bit like the player we thought he could've been. But, as you say, there's just no place for him in the side atm to make that happen. 

I’d be surprised if he’s here next season but it’s way too early to conclude he won’t play a role in this one. 
im sure EH will keep working with him and hopefully he’ll find a useful role in our survival.