The Goldfish Bowl

DJ_NUFC

Thought I'd create a new thread to reflect on the on-going disaster that is our home form. And I'm not just talking about Rafa's reign here -- going back to Jenas' famous quip, we've seen many talented (and untalented) NUFC teams play more freely away from home than at fortress St. James'. With the recent booing of Perez to the focus of match-going fans seemingly turning anti-team and pro-regime, I wonder what the solution is. I'd have to say as soon as Ashley goes, we may see the return of a lot of the sound fans who've chosen to stay away.

One thing that strikes me each time I watch a home game from shores afar (Canuck here) on telly, I don't feel the same old roar we used to feel during Keegan's or SBR's reign. Or when Hatem got the ball. It's been replaced by this pervading nervousness from the crowd that no doubt affects the players. Sure, they're pros and get paid millions, but when your own fans are fucking booing you (Perez), and the atmosphere is largely pensive, this surely adds pressure on the team that is simply not needed, not when we're already working on bare bones thanks to Ashley.

Guest alijmitchell

I think you're correct to draw a comparison with the atmosphere and the crap form for sure. SJP isn't a hard place to come and play in at all, because the opposition will be well aware that an early goal, or generally frustrating us will lead to a passive atmosphere at best or turning on the team at worst. I mean, look at places with great home atmospheres across the world - the game is half won when the team gets out there.

However, goldfish bowl isn't the correct phrase I don't think. It suggests that we reject outsiders etc. The lack of success over the years, the trophy near-misses, the destruction of hope, the lack of direction of the club are more pertinent factors. There is a culture that has been created at the club that the majority of fans are completely complicit in now.

In terms of what we have seen that works in the times in my lifespan, is a positive vision of where the club can go - be that by a manager, owners, or players. I don't know how this could be utilised at present...

Guest alijmitchell

It's a relationship though isn't it? There are plenty examples of players we've bought that have been extremely limited, but have thrived off the fans to contribute something. At the moment, the fans contribute fuck all to the team, fuck all to getting rid of Ashley, hand over their cash and sit in silence and expect us to compete with teams at home.

Guest alijmitchell

I don't dispute the point that we are running on generally below average players btw, that is a fact. It was just that this is compelled by our fans.

I think you're correct to draw a comparison with the atmosphere and the crap form for sure. SJP isn't a hard place to come and play in at all, because the opposition will be well aware that an early goal, or generally frustrating us will lead to a passive atmosphere at best or turning on the team at worst. I mean, look at places with great home atmospheres across the world - the game is half won when the team gets out there.

However, goldfish bowl isn't the correct phrase I don't think. It suggests that we reject outsiders etc. The lack of success over the years, the trophy near-misses, the destruction of hope, the lack of direction of the club are more pertinent factors. There is a culture that has been created at the club that the majority of fans are completely complicit in now.

In terms of what we have seen that works in the times in my lifespan, is a positive vision of where the club can go - be that by a manager, owners, or players. I don't know how this could be utilised at present...

All your points are correct, and the highlighted bit is the worst aspect of the reality today. I'm hoping the exit of Ashley (lol, whenever a takeover actually materializes) will make the long-lost fans return to the ground.

I'm in agreement with these sentiments, and after Sunday's game was wondering if anyone else felt that playing at home had reached new depths in lack of atmosphere .

There has been a slow decline for many years , with only periods such as the KK era inspiring the return of real passion from the stands . And in my opinion that's where the major problem lies . Inspiration.

This club for too long has quelled any ambitions or aspirations , and although Ashley's reign has seen it reach new depths , we have been indoctrinated with the acceptance of mediocrity and low esteem for many years , save the few notable exceptions, which in turn inspired the return of the St. James's atmosphere.

It's almost a part of our genetic makeup that we should not aspire to anything above mediocrity, and are reminded so often that we are deluded to expect to compete any higher .

I've experienced the belief that we can take on the best , not expecting to win but with some hope that we could , and that hope was an inspiration to really get behind the team .

The gradual erosion of any expectations has drained the passion from the stands .

Guest Howaythetoon

I think the lack of quality in the team and how we are set up and the tactics deployed combined is the main cause of our poor home form than any kind of gold fish bowl type issue.

Fans will always moan and groan, but in general at SJP it’s tame these days compared to other times even when we’ve had a better team and been performing much better.

Unless it’s vitriolic and personal, whether isolated or consistently, a few moans and groans here and there should not effect the players enough to make it almost impossible to perform at home.

I don’t see that at all, I see players who lack quality the opposition don’t, I see tactics that suit the players on he road more and I also see a dinstinct lack of leadership within the squad as well which allows players to subconsciously excuse themselves from individual responsibility to rise to the challenge, adversity or above inequality.

They look to the manager and indeed the crowd to spur them on more than themselves and when that’s not as forthcoming, they shrink and hide.

They have had nothing but amazing support, patience and backing in every home game even when the atmosphere has been dead or flat.

The gold fish bowl issue is a legitimate one and has effected managers, players, teams and performances in the past, but not at the moment, as ever give the fans a team of quality players where the opposition is the underdog, a team that takes to the field to attack and go for the win and that Gallowgate roar can be a 12th man.

We don't pay the going rate for the type of player that can cope on a weekly basis, in front of our crowd. When we were an ambitious club we'd pay the money for that kind of composure.

That's it really, just have to look at how a couple of the wide players we've signed have struggled in Murphy and Atsu. Both have shown flashes of good skill and pace, but we signed them because they were the only younger players we could afford. The best ones who can cope with a big club stadium and all the expectation are usually snapped up by the more ambitious clubs. Tom Cairney and Sessegnon weren't proven Premier class, but they have shown enough to drive their price way out of our range. You get what you pay for usually, all you can really hope is that Rafa can improve those players we can afford.

I don't know why we have so many fans that won't protest, i obviously wasn't expecting the whole ground to take part in the walk in, or be behind the boycott, but i certainly expected a lot more support for it than we've seen.

Its demoralising.

It is very simple. As a fanbase we hate being dictated too by other fans. If someone says to boycott others will go on principle. Personally you should go when it is thick and thin. I don't want any of the ones who left back.

I don't know why we have so many fans that won't protest, i obviously wasn't expecting the whole ground to take part in the walk in, or be behind the boycott, but i certainly expected a lot more support for it than we've seen.

Its demoralising.

It is very simple. As a fanbase we hate being dictated too by other fans. If someone says to boycott others will go on principle. Personally you should go when it is thick and thin. I don't want any of the ones who left back.

I didn't realise you spoke for the whole fan base :lol:

Guest firetotheworks

Didn't you get the memo about what supporting NUFC means?

Being asked to join in in a protest against Ashley :thdn:

Being dictated to by Ashley himself :thup:

'Principle' :lol: The absolute fucking irony sandwich of claiming it's on principle. The word you're looking for is spite, not principle.

Its demoralising.

But no one is being dictated too. They are being asked not to go. The fan base clearly needs to unite and move in one single direction, if you don't like that direction, you have the opportunity to go to a TMG meeting and express your opinion.

Its demoralising.

ApyNNgf.gif