We did a Brexit

I know this might not go down well, but Boris is right about not going down cheap labour route, however that's the long term solution.

However, his government is doing nothing to tackle the shortage short to medium term and they've made it easy to hire and fire since 2010 which makes it easier to employ people temporarily which always leads to worse working conditions.

These lot are fucking making it up as they go along.

47 minutes ago, neesy111 said:

I know this might not go down well, but Boris is right about not going down cheap labour route, however that's the long term solution.

However, his government is doing nothing to tackle the shortage short to medium term and they've made it easy to hire and fire since 2010 which makes it easier to employ people temporarily which always leads to worse working conditions.

These lot are fucking making it up as they go along.

It's a nice soundbite, but I go back to the discussion last week that it's not a solution in itself as all it will do is push prices up and you end up in the same position again in a few years.

A high skilled, high wage economy works where you can almost wholly import food and clothing, and ultimately abuse low wage economies over seas. We don't have that and as much as many people don't want to hear we have a large underbelly of low qualified people with little motivation to upskill and a need for lower wage jobs to feed the nation / keep it moving etc. You artificially push the cost up there and its just petrol to the inflation fire.

The will never try to fix the real problem - cost of housing and fuel. I wonder how much of the levies and VAT on fuel just goes straight into UC payments to allow people to fill up their cars?

We needed drivers, they came for a wage they found acceptable, they did the job, the supply chain moved. Not sure how any capitalist can disagree with that. 

Truth is we fucked ourselves over by doing a brexit. And Tories are now the part of racists rather than the party of business. 

Edited by AyeDubbleYoo

12 hours ago, Shays Given Tim Flowers said:

Just been rinsed for £54 import duty on some shopping from Italy. Good one. 

Was in Italy a couple of years ago and was surprised how high the prices were, and at that time we were still in the process of leaving so the impact hadn't really got underway. All seems like a massive shitshow we've landed ourselves in on the back of picking up short term votes. 

Was hoping that would go on longer tbh. Wanted to hear her be challenged on her “I didn’t vote for this” or “I was very educated in my vote”.

I’m prepared to accept that she put a lot of work and thought into her decision - don’t know what groups she was talking about being involved with, but let’s say they were reasonably serious. But to then turn round and say “I voted for people to be more patriotic” is either fantastically stupid or disingenuous. You either “didn’t vote for this” or were “very educated in your vote”. You can’t be both. But you can very definitely be neither.

I’m sick of how predictable this all was. We predicted much of the economic, bureaucratic and political fallout. We predicted that people like her would believe or pretend to believe that they had voted for something else, or that they couldn’t have foreseen these outcomes. We foresaw the outcomes and their unwillingness to take responsibility. It’s so fucking frustrating. And I don’t even live there any more. Can’t even begin to fathom the anger some people must be feeling over there.

Remember that UK-Australia trade deal that was announced in June...

Yeah, well, seems that was a little premature and nothing has been signed despite all the fanfare and Johnson waving his TimTam around.

Also -

1 hour ago, leffe186 said:

“I was very educated in my vote”.

I haven't heard a single brexit voter speak, with a good and valid reason for voting to leave. Not one argument stands up to the most basic of scrutiny.

2 minutes ago, Klaus said:

I haven't heard a single brexit voter speak, with a good and valid reason for voting to leave. Not one argument stands up to the most basic of scrutiny.

I  remember back in 2016, there were a handful of people on here who were in favour of Leaving, and were repeatedly asked to explain their reasoning.

I was genuinely interested to hear at least one valid and thoughtful answer. But I don't recall any of them putting any points across whatsoever.

From the sound of that farmer, I think a lot of the older voters were just frightened that the world was changing too quickly for them, and the EU was a useful scapegoat to blame it all on.

“This isn’t the Brexit I voted for” is possibly the most galling. It literally and demonstrably is, because this is where we are now. You can say this isn’t what I thought I was voting for, but you were told by many people that it was and you didn’t listen, didn’t seek out differing opinions and/or didn’t give a fuck. That’s on you. Own the fucking thing.

• Rich changed the title to We did a Brexit