Martins vs Johnson

Cajun
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Guest Darth Toon

Martins has got the same amount of goals in the Prem as Johnson now, and only 5 players have scored more:

Barclays Premiership Top Scorers

Team

TOT

Drogba Chelsea 9

Kanu Portsmouth 9

Doyle Reading 8

Rooney Man Utd 8

Saha Man Utd 8

Barry Aston Villa 6

Bent Charlton 6

Camara Wigan 6

Henry Arsenal 6

Johnson Everton 6

Kuyt Liverpool 6

Martins Newcastle 6

McCarthy Blackburn 6

Ronaldo Man Utd 6

Adebayor Arsenal 5

Got a shot at the golden boot if he keeps up his current form!

Guest thompers

Was always going to be a one sided poll, having it straight after yesterdays game tbh. Probably Johnson in all honesty.

Genuine question, Thompers - not a dig... Do you like Martins?

Aye he's canny. Don't think he's a £10m player yet and that there's much room for improvement, but he's far from a liability like some of our strikers. *cough* Shola *cough*

Martins has got the same amount of goals in the Prem as Johnson now, and only 5 players have scored more:

Barclays Premiership Top Scorers

Team

TOT

Drogba Chelsea 9

Kanu Portsmouth 9

Doyle Reading 8

Rooney Man Utd 8

Saha Man Utd 8

Barry Aston Villa 6

Bent Charlton 6

Camara Wigan 6

Henry Arsenal 6

Johnson Everton 6

Kuyt Liverpool 6

Martins Newcastle 6

McCarthy Blackburn 6

Ronaldo Man Utd 6

Adebayor Arsenal 5

Got a shot at the golden boot if he keeps up his current form!

This is good stuff considering.

He's growing on me more each game, although i wasn't writing him off after a few games either, just trying to allow him time to get it right, and i think he's starting too.

6 goals in the EPL when we've been this shit is great, would like to see him in a proper fully fit NUFC team under a better quality manager, i think he'd be sensational.

If he comes out with 15 goals IACs then i'd be very happy, 10+ in the league, great 1st season.

I always say that we were going to pay around 10m £ for a striker in the summer. If we want a striker of certain quality then we need to pay. I would be happy whether we ended up with Dirt Kuyt, Andy Johnson, Berbatov, Oba Martins or Darren Bent. I bet fans from Liverpool, Everton, Tottenham and Newcastle would not complain that we wasted the money.

It was up to Roeder to decide whether he wanted instant goal returns, or youth, or speed, or skills, or all round play. If I were the manager I would possible opt for Kuyt instead due to his leadership qualities and his all round plays. But I could not begrudge Roeder aiming to build a fast and furious team with young speedy Martins spearheading the line.

I think £10 million is a good price for a young 21 year old (could be 28 :lol:) striker who has been playing top flight football in one of the toughest leagues in the world(if not the toughest) since a very young age. I remember watching him in the champions league a few years ago thinking he was about 26 and when i found out he was 17/18 I was shocked. He was a good buy and is a class player, i think it would be unfair to now say "i would have preferred Johnson", so long as he keeps working hard then i'm happy.

Guest Geordie_Paul

If i had this question before Martins had played any games for us or before he was settling in better then i would have said Johnson because i've always been a fan of his.

Now though after seeing a little bit of Martins ability and because i think there is a lot more to come then i would have to say Martins. Ask it again in a few months and my answer could be different again lol

Guest TheDutchman

If i had this question before Martins had played any games for us or before he was settling in better then i would have said Johnson because i've always been a fan of his.

Now though after seeing a little bit of Martins ability and because i think there is a lot more to come then i would have to say Martins. Ask it again in a few months and my answer could be different again lol

Martins played fantastic saturday. He has got the talent to become a great striker for the toon.

Guest Geordie_Paul

You're right he did play fantastic, you can tell he is settling in each and every game more and more. Seems to be learning how the players around him play as well. By saying i still think there is a lot more to come is because personally i see him being a top goalscorer in the league every season once he's fully settled in!