Internet Connection Wizard

NE5

my neighbour has been having probs with his freeserve account.......so he decided to go for virgin.

It seems like his connection wizard doesn't work, when the modem dials up, it won't detect his settings.

So I deleted all his old freeserve settings, but no change.

Any help welcome.

When you setup an account like that you should never ever install the crap it gives you to download, instead open the file with notepad and search through it for your username and password and the number it dials then setup your own conection with those details.

can't do it.......tried setting up 2 manual accounts and it won't connect.....and tried usung the disk again, it dials and connects then the screen goes blank, then he gets the page which says "unable to detect settings"

everything is set up correctly

Tried freeserve and virgin

Has he been online before? this could be a phone point problem, or if an exstension is being used on the phone cable to the moden. Some exstensions and phone poinst do not have enough wire conected in them to work for an internet connection.

Guest StevieH84

NE5

GO into the control panel then internet options

click the Connections box and make sure the new

connection you have made has Default next to it,

whilst there click the Settings box,then Propertiees,

and see if the box Use Dialing Rules has a tick in it..

he's been online before, and I've checked all the setup it's all hunky dory, will ask him about his cable though, i have a feeling something is clashing with it but i'm buggered if i know what it is

Guest StevieH84

NE5

Do it exactly like this below,this is a uk isp

pay as you go,if you can connect via that then

you have no troubles with anything apart from

them other settings,when/if you can connect using

this way,you,ll be able to edit out the phone number

username/password for the ones virgin gave you and stick

them in place..

http://www.f2s.com/help/tutorials/17/

PS I can convert all that info above to a file that you just

have to double click for it to do them settings if you want m8,

let me know..

he's been online before, and I've checked all the setup it's all hunky dory, will ask him about his cable though, i have a feeling something is clashing with it but i'm buggered if i know what it is

Is he on cable?

If he is, maybe he's not allowed to connect to certain numbers.

Something similar happened to me, I switched from NTL Freedom (dial-up) with a BT line, to Bulldog ADSL with their phoneline. After I switched I was unable to dial-up using my NTL account because the Bulldog line wouldn't let me, despite the fact that I was still under contract with NTL, so it was still available as far as NTL were concerned.

no mate, he doesn't use cable.

ref the last 2 posts...does anyone use virgin.net if so can you give me the dial up number so i can check it.

Also the freeserve one for pay as you go. I will check the numbers of both these 

tks

When you signed up with virgin it gives you a download to install, put fkn virgin everything alover ya pc, well if you open that file with notepad and scroll through it you will find the number that you need along with username and password.

then go to internet options/connections/ADD/dial up to private/then add this number 08440544020// then you have a user name and password to add :D