Hogfather

James

Anyone watch the first part of the SkyOne adaptation last night? It was pretty good I thought, and a good adaptation of the book. Pratchett's style of humour was conveyed quite well, and the sight of Death dressed up as Santa was hilarious.

If you missed it, I think it is being repeated again over Christmas, and will no doubt be better than the majority of Christmas television the terrestrial channels serve up.

Guest Gemmill

Was it a fantasy type thing with elves and shit?  I've not read anything by Pratchett so have no idea what his stuff is like.  David Jason gets on my tits when he's not being Del Boy though.

Was it a fantasy type thing with elves and shit?  I've not read anything by Pratchett so have no idea what his stuff is like.  David Jason gets on my tits when he's not being Del Boy though.

Not really elves and shit. It is mostly satire, and Pratchetts world is mostly just a slightly fantasial alternative of our own world.

In this story, Death (ie skeletal guy with scythe) pretends to be the Hogfather (Santa) when he goes missing. It is one of the better books.

Not really elves and shit. It is mostly satire, and Pratchetts world is mostly just a slightly fantasial alternative of our own world.

In this story, Death (ie skeletal guy with scythe) pretends to be the Hogfather (Santa) when he goes missing. It is one of the better books.

What world do you live in like numbnuts? ;)

He's actually a very clever and funny writer.  The subject matter is frothy but agreeable nonsense based on an absurd fantasy world that he invented.  He doesn't take himself seriously; you can read a book in a few hours so I find it perfect plane journey material and usually buy one on holiday. 

Pratchett's been published in about every language going and is one of the most successful British authors alive.  So book snobs hate him.  Obviously if he'd cut out the jokes, based his books on the rive gauche in Paris and called himself Jean-Paul Pratchett,  pseuds would be coming in their pants about his "absurdist deconstructivist view of life".  Errr.  Or something.  bluebiggrin.gif

He's actually a very clever and funny writer.  The subject matter is frothy but agreeable nonsense based on an absurd fantasy world that he invented.  He doesn't take himself seriously; you can read a book in a few hours so I find it perfect plane journey material and usually buy one on holiday. 

Pratchett's been published in about every language going and is one of the most successful British authors alive.  So book snobs hate him.  Obviously if he'd cut out the jokes, based his books on the rive gauche in Paris and called himself Jean-Paul Pratchett,  pseuds would be coming in their pants about his "absurdist deconstructivist view of life".  Errr.  Or something.   bluebiggrin.gif

Yeah but he didn't and he isn't. bluebiggrin.gif

made a few more bob TBH staying as Terry pratchett

I thought it was well done - even almost TOO close to the book

The lass that plays Susan Sto Helit is excellent and the nutter with the knife is a real find

Pratchett's been published in about every language going and is one of the most successful British authors alive.  So book snobs hate him.  Obviously if he'd cut out the jokes, based his books on the rive gauche in Paris and called himself Jean-Paul Pratchett,  pseuds would be coming in their pants about his "absurdist deconstructivist view of life".  Errr.  Or something.   bluebiggrin.gif

Yeah but he didn't and he isn't. bluebiggrin.gif

Tant pis, cela m'est egale - as Meursault would say as he watched the sun glinting off the Algerian sea. 

Pretentious enough for you Parky?    bluewink.gif bluebiggrin.gif

The lass that plays Susan Sto Helit is excellent and the nutter with the knife is a real find

Marc Warren, he's been around for ages.

Marc Warren, he's been around for ages.

not in MY neighberhood, friend....

we take exception to weird buggers with two dodgy eyes in South Jesmond y 'knaa

Guest MalcolmSm1th

To be honest I was disappointed with the ending but the production was good and I have to admit to roaring out when Bilious, the Oh God! Of Hangovers, met the wizards.

• 8 months later...